1/48 Hobby Boss Su-30MK2 Venezuela AF

13 hours ago, Janissary said:

So, like the Su-27, the FOD mesh would be laid flat (retracted) on the lower intake trunking when in flight, correct?

Yes. On a built kit you will not see much of it. I have detailed my Su-27 with a lot of scratch and in the finished model almost Zero is visible of it. But I know it is there! :woot.gif:

Best regards

Gabor

• 3 weeks later...

A small update. A few extra holes help with gluing the intake upper plate:

IMG_4576.JPG

The intake trunking is not glued yet, but the fit so far is looking really good, very pleasantly surprised.

IMG_4578.JPG

I applied the glue through the extra holes seen here:

IMG_4579.JPG

The fod mesh has been a hassle. I need to lay them down flat in the intake trunking. The backside of the kit parts (shown below) are too plain and simple with no texture. They are also too wide to lay down in the intake. So, I modified them quite a bit by sanding down *all* six surfaces of these rectangular parts. I laid them in the intakes with the textured pattern facing up. This is a deviation from the real thing, but it was necessary to have this texture be visible when looking down the intake trunking (no pics yet):

IMG_4580.JPG

IMG_4581.JPG

Now, enhancing all the rivet and panel lines. It takes a lot of time and it can be very straining on the fingers. Recently, I switched to this orange tool for deepening the rivets. Much less straining on the fingers. But the hundreds if not thousands of these rivets has started to strain my forearm. These look exaggerated but they will be sanded down with MicroMesh 1500 to achieve a more subtle look. More pictures to come once part cleaning is all done.

IMG_4582.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all, I appreciate it. More scribing:

p1.jpg

I have been curious to see how things look up close. Here are a few pics. The setup:

p2.jpg

Below is the tip of the stainless steel sewing pin I use for scribing. I kept pieces of scribed styrene just to see how it looks:

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

Here is the body of the pin for comparison:

m3.jpg

Below is the original surface (left) and scratches coming from Micromesh 1500 (right):

m4.jpg

Here is the corner of an oval access panel that has been scribed and the rivets deepened, but not cleaned yet. You also see signs of slippage of the scriber at the top left corner:

m5.jpg

A close up of one of the rivets:

m6.jpg

Original (unscribed) lines:

m7.jpg

Scribed line (uncleaned) against original rivets and signs of Micromesh 1500.

m8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, I will try to post a few more pics but hopefully it will go through this time. 

I've been pushing through this but have to stop and think many times. Here is a small update. 
I removed the mould seams, polished,  and glued together the windshield and the canopy using superglue. I first did this on futured parts, but the grip was almost non-existent so removed the future and then joined them:

IMG_4660.JPG

Then, a future dip. It excites me:

IMG_4661.JPG

Edited by Janissary

Epoxy putty gives infinite time to make adjustments to the front LG door on the outside visible side. Once set, applied super glue and then sprinkled baby powder to the remaining seams:

IMG_4662.JPG

IMG_4663.JPG

I felt the need to remove all the main LG bays because I needed space/access for adjusting the doors here as well. It starts with little holes:

IMG_4669.JPG

Then a lot of sawing, scribing, dremel etc...

IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4696.JPG

Attached the bay doors to one another, rescribed the border between them and added strengthening support to the back:

IMG_4697.JPG

This is roughly how it will come together, at least that's the hope. You can see how much work it will take. These parts were not designed for an in-flight config: 

IMG_4698.JPG

Edited by Janissary

Still working on the intake trunks. This is what I meant earlier with having the patterned side of the fod screens facing up: 

IMG_4699.JPG

I had attached the little winglets/canards on the intake trunking (not shown) that are seen on Chinese and Indian versions. But just realized that the Venezuelan type does not have them so had to sand them down and fill the holes with bondo. Also, the rescribing has been very tedious on the parts. I decided not to replicate the series of rivets that are so visible on the Su-27 intakes. The faint red putty is where all the scribing mistakes are filled in:

IMG_4700.JPG

A few steps toward the in-flight pose. 5/8" acrylic rod and slightly wider brass tubing:

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4705.JPG

You're doing a great job Jani! even if the kit looks a bit better than the Academy you're giving it the touch!!

I don't know how far are you from painting the cockpit and pilots but if it's still time I'd like to post a couple of pics for reference in case you haven't seen them, I'm sure you know the color but pics might help!

Pilots

IMG_7370.jpg

IMG_7413.jpg

Cockpit

16777120_10212144436545547_1441431164_o.

16804925_10212144461306166_1204776200_o.

16805117_10212144441225664_1894788616_o.

16805457_10212144458146087_341297063_o.j

I had to mix the paint for the cokpit cause I didn't find an exact reference The guy who sent me these pics told me mine was pretty close, I got mine mixing Humbrol H48 with some drops of Russian topside blue and got here

IMG_8448.jpg

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I lost a bunch of time looking for that color!

Hope that helps

Thank you Kike. Beautiful pictures as usual. Indeed I needed good pics of the cockpit and pilots for colors and details, so this will be very useful. In an effort to test my self-control abilities, haven't painted a single part yet :) I am trying to get through all the boring stuff first and then enjoy the kit once painting starts! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Kike, Peter. Getting some more work done. Painted the insides of the exhausts with various Tamiya and Alcad paints. It won't be visible at all though:

IMG_4763.JPG

Cut the brass tubing to size using a tube cutter. Creates very clean cuts:

IMG_4792.JPG

Added tape to the end that sits inside the exhausts to get a press fit, hence natural centering. Added blobs of milliput to the other end on the kit side and pressed the tubing onto the putty:

IMG_4794.JPG

For the most part, it will be the putty that sits on the inside of the tubing as seen below that will hold the tubing in place. Once the tubing was in place, I further pressed the putty against the kit wall and the inner circumference of the tubing using the acrylic rod to ensure there are no loose edges:

IMG_4795.JPG

I painted the inner sides of the intake trunking using various metalizers and clear blue, orange, red, and applied a wash. I also added discoloration and grime, and blended eveything with dry pastels rubbed in with a cotton rag:

IMG_4796.JPG

Some of what I have already painted will get over painted with the camo colors once the trunking is assembled. 

Thank you KursadA :) Nicknames aside, I've always known and thought that it's remarkably easy to figure me out through the pics I post, especially because I don't use photobucket! Still, I prefer "not to mingle work with love" as our compats like to say it.... :) 

Great!! finally getting some paint!!!

These pics are for you to get a glimpse of how are they painted in case you were wondering!

44223_446017257249_8204796_n.jpg

AN2bt_Ir.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

MG_5947.jpg

Credits to the authors and posted here just for illustration purposes!

Looking forward for the next update!!

Edited by kike