1/48 Hobby Boss Su-30MK2 Venezuela AF

Janissary,

Your camo paint scheme is just about darn near perfect.  No over spray or misses that I can see.

I never pay much attention to the static air pressure as it's a meaningless number. What counts is what it drops to when you depress the trigger as that's the flow rate for your AB setup. What works for one AB might not work for another.  

where we do things a little differently is that I do play around with the flow rate depending on what the air brush job is.

Joel

On 5/30/2018 at 8:27 AM, Janissary said:

IMG_5693.JPG

More work will be done on the gun panels after the gloss and matte coats, this is just a base metallic panel at this time.

Yani! not trying to be an fool, but, are aware that the metallic gun panels on the real thing are a bit different from what you have represented? I'm just pointing it out in case it has slipped! if it is your choice to do it like that, please ignore my comment! you are doing such an awesome job on this model that I could easily pass on that small detail! 

Regards!

suk.jpg

Edited by kike

Thank you, yes I remember you'd mentioned that previously and I also saw that in more detail as I was working on it. I didn't want to fill and rescribe new panel lines, so I 'improvised' and extended the metallic section a little bit (seen below). A few more shots:

Masking... the bane of my existence:

IMG_5713.JPG

IMG_5714.JPG

A light coat of future to blend everything together. Removes any visible scratches and gives a good base for the next steps:

IMG_5726.JPG

Extended metal panel with totally fictitious color variation:

IMG_5727.JPG

IMG_5728.JPG

IMG_5730.JPG

IMG_5731.JPG

Edited by Janissary

Janissary,

A most impressive built to date. to the uneducated modeling eye (which I possess for more modern aircraft), the gun panel really looks quite convincing. 

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Kike, Joel. A few more progress shots. 

Onto the decals. Caracal's 48088. Gently sanding the top layer using MicroMesh 1800. This is to make the surface a little dull to aid in weathering. Ddi the same with the kit decals.

IMG_5733.JPG

IMG_5734.JPG

After the decals dried, I cut through the panel lines and popped the rivets to help blend the decals to the surface. Then, an oil sludge wash thinned with hardware mineral spirits:

IMG_5740.JPG

IMG_5742.JPG

IMG_5743.JPG

After the h-stabs are cleaned:

IMG_5741.JPG

After the whole thing is cleaned:

IMG_5748.JPG

I'll need to post some closeups I think. 

Edited by Janissary

Janissary,

I've been at the modeling game since the early 70s, and this is the 1st time that I can recall seeing anyone actually sanding glossy decals to make them matt and somewhat porous. I'v e always applied Dullcoat to accomplish that, but I really like your technique. Going to give it a try. 

And your weathering really added that just "little" something extra. Looks outstanding my friend.

Joel

Thank you all, I appreciate it a lot. A lot of things I do is also experimentation, some things I like, some don't, and just generally trying to move forward.  A few more steps.

A closeup view after the wash:

IMG_5762.JPG

Masked and painted the metal areas:

IMG_5772.JPG

But it was too dark, so I tried it again. A mix of Alclad pale burnt metal, Alclad stainless steel, and Tamiya brown as the base. Then Aclad heat blue and Tamiya clears for the staining. Then Dullcoat. Finally, powders to pick out some of the panels and lines:

IMG_5785.JPG

IMG_5786.JPG

IMG_5787.JPG

And masks removed:

IMG_5789.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 3:13 PM, Joel_W said:

Janissary,

Up close and personal she looks incredible. the camo paint scheme /weathering is just outstanding.

Joel

Thank you very much Joel, I appreciate it. More work before a break. This will also be the penultimate update before the finish (if I can get there!). 

This is where it stands:

IMG_5862.JPG

Parafilm masking. Gray is darker than what it is supposed to be (to make it visible against the metal) and too much to the front, but it will keep going:

IMG_5863.JPG

I didn't like the orange IRST so decided to redo it. The bulb is toothpick-painted with a mix of Tamiya smoke and super metallic stainless steel from the inside. Looks darker and closer to what it looks like IRL. Also, when you catch the right angle, the iridescent discs become visible. Not realistic, but puts a smile on my face.

IMG_5872.JPG

Various antennas and probes painted and attached:

IMG_5882.JPG

The ECM pods painted and weathered. The navlight bulbs are overscale. But I decided not to fix them and move on. Also, the tips can use a little more blending/flattening. Looks a little out of place right now:

IMG_5883.JPG

Exhaust nozzles and the A2As is what is missing. But, that would be the last update I hope! Suggestions welcome. 

What a great job!

It’s amazing to see the progress on every single post. A real pleasure to follow this one and one of the best Sukhoi’s I’ve ever seen 👍

Keep up the good work!

Jannisary,

One detail after another just adds that much more to an already brilliant build. Honestly, I way to often use the philosophy of "good enough", but after seeing what true dedication to a build can produce, I'm going to have to really up my game as I move forward.

Joel

what an amazing job Yani! I was so proud of my Flanker now i feel a bit inadequate!!! LOL! nice to see there are such nice sources of inspiration!!! keep the progress coming please!!

That engine paint work is super amazing. I have to figure out how to do that. I know you have to use various colours to achieve something like what you did. I have those Alclad colours too so on my next one I will give it a try. Probably why my Revell F-15E strike Eagle is stuck in limbo, I am afraid of the engine paint.

You model looks amazing too and I can see how you worked the decals into the panel lines so well. Super super job.

• 1 month later...

Thank you both. It's taken a while to get to this point, but I am getting excited for the finish line. Niko, you're correct, I did a mix of live and inert missiles. Everything was going to be inert in my case (the kit has the inert decals for all these missiles), but decided to keep the Alamos without the stripes for visual interest. Still have to finish the Kryptons though.