Revell 1/72 F-101B Voodoo questions....

The first steps in the Revell 1/72 F-101B show something I can't make sense of; might make more sense if I knew the Voodoo better. Or at all.

As near as I can tell, it calls for the nosegear doors to be cut/scored and bent, but doesnt' say at what angle, or if it's only an option for gear up or something else entirely. I've tried dry fitting the things and as far as I can tell if I leave it alone the doors will be open and okay if I leave them as they are. I've tried looking at online builds (very few) and at photos of the real thing and can't make any sense of it yet.

What am I missing?

I don't have a sample (anymore) to study, but my recollection when I built the kit is that the gear doors are molded opened and that any cutting would have to be to separate them for closure.

Wait 'till you get to installing the cockpit tub. As I recall, the instructions would have you slide the completed interior through the bottom of the fuselage before the rotary missile door is installed. You'll find that it won't fit through there if the seats are installed. That's my recollection, anyway. It was several years ago. Here's what it looks like with homemade markings:

F-101Bweb1_zpsm39jlmhz.jpg

Looks really good Paul, I like it!

Yep, I did see that strange bit about the cockpit, and add to that the fact that I'm using the Pavla cockpit.... Fortunately I always leave the seats until one of the last items, just as on the real birds.

Just one minor nit about the pic above, the rotary armament door did not rotate that way, the AIR-2As were either facing down, up - when the door was rotated fully, or to the right (a/c right) while in transit. Also the kits missiles are wrong, they should be AIM-4Ds.

Jari

hi andrew.

yes you're missing a lot of things.

i have almost just finished one and i would be happy to share my experience.

unfortunately i have chores and i must go out.

please be patient and i will be back to you.

first out:  don't rely on the instructions. there are things that must be done other ways... or it will be a mess...:soapbox:

talk later. ciao. bobo.

hi.here i am back.

well: do you have the 1991 or the 1992 issue?

because the 1991 had so many glitches that i think that they issued in shame another more correct one the year after. but i'm not sure.

anyway the following applies to the 1991 issue.

first the nose gear assembly- yes, you have to twist the well doors "a bit" outwards, say at a 30° angle. tweezers, and bend.

the assembly is some 2,5 mm longer than the slot in the fuselage- which is the right size-  so cut a tad more than 1,0 mm. fore and aft of the assembly.

it will leave the well without walls front and rear. but nobody willl ever see it as it's narrow and cluttered.

the cockpit tub. it doesn't slip through as the instructions say because of the seats.

also, you should be able (mission impossible xxviii) to intercept with the instrument panels two details, the blindfold and the radar screen upper part, that are molded together with the fuselage...and, there are no tabs/pins/whatever to indicate where the istrument panels would go on the consoles.

on the other side, the front gear assy serves as a base to place the tub.

i did this way: set the gear well assy in place without glueing in its slot in the left half fuse. then, glued the cockpit tub approximizing the position on the ckpit wall as per the little tabs molded there. in front, i laid the front part of the ckpit on the upper face of the gear assy to align it properly and eventually sealed the fuse halves together. be careful that the ckpit stays centered an does not sway laterally.

then, slip the front gear assy away, as it would be a fragile impingement for the rest of the build...and you just got started...:fight:

second, rather, third after gear and ckpit, the weapons tray.

it is intended to rotate on a longitudinal axis to expose either the falcons or the genies. this movement relies on two thin pins, so be careful.

also, the tray is oversized, and by trial and error you will have to cut and sand away a good deal from the sides as well as from the rear side; and just not to do injustices, a bit also on the front side.

i can't give you measures as, i told you, i had to cut and sand a bit, try how it fit into the weapons bay (do not cement this part; here the instructions are for good as its moving freely will allow to insert in the end the tray-missiles assy in place) and to the front rim of the underside fuselage.

i can  just bet that i cut and scratch away something more than 1,5 mm on the sides and quite the same on the rear part.

look: on the sides, i arrived to almost take away the very rim where the two halves of the tray unite. so be prepared to glue them together again with some ultra thin cement.

enjoy the other less stinky steps, BUT: when it comes to decaling, don't trust the instruction's sheme, at least for what the beautiful stylized bird is concerned.

you'd be instructed to place it way too low and cover identification strips (i had to microsol it away and reposition). please refer to imagery of the real bird or, if you pardon my vanity, have a look for the job as a whole at my voodoo pics at :https://goo.gl/photos/SngycPifrx5GqTnz8

also the u.s. air force stenciling is a bit too low, but it was a forced choice as bringing it up would have it entangle with  the asset sensor.

or (but i was exhausted) you can cut a slot into the decal to accomodate the sensor. enjoy...

so, andrew, this is about all that has to be said about this bad girl of a kit: a real shame on revell.

please don't hesitate to ask for more details, if you wish, i am sending you a p.m. with my e.mail address: feel free to contact me. i'll be pleased.

i wish that this helps and wish you also a...HAPPY MODELING!!!

best ciaos. bobo.

8 hours ago, Finn said:

Just one minor nit about the pic above, the rotary armament door did not rotate that way, the AIR-2As were either facing down, up - when the door was rotated fully, or to the right (a/c right) while in transit. Also the kits missiles are wrong, they should be AIM-4Ds.

Jari

I wanted to show that the Voodoo had this rotary weapons palette, so I mounted all the missiles to the door and rotated it 90º. That way the viewer can see all the weapons and how the palette worked. As far as what type of Falcon, IDGAS.

F-101Bweb30_zps9inkighs.jpg

1 hour ago, Paul Boyer said:

As far as what type of Falcon, IDGAS.

Whoa. That's not a typical thoughtful response from the respected Paul Boyer ... I think..

Gene K

No, it's true. I didn't know that only certain types of Falcon missiles were mounted to the Voodoo. I used the ones in the kit. If they are wrong, I don't care now that the model is done. If I knew ahead of time I may have changed them. I try to fix the accuracy things I know about while building. If something comes up later, eh, too late, don't care. I'm happy with the model as is, and so is the audience who views it on display at the EAA AirVenture museum. If I cared about total accuracy on any one kit, I'd probably put off building it and keep researching forever. I possess a little anal retentiveness, but not enough to keep me from finishing models.

I normally try and refrain from criticizing someone's modelling efforts on a forum unless they are asking for critiquing. If something about someone's efforts bothers me that much I will PM them and politely mention what I may observe. But that's just me.

Nothing wrong with your F-101 Paul. My short list of kits "to get" (which is really not that short) has this one on it. Seeing it finished helps it move to the top.

Well andrew, you're traveling fast. If you got to the main gear, you're about at the finish mark of this building cross country.

Actually in my overview of the kit's problems i skipped some other let's say "minor" nice tricks.

I personally did wind up in glueing the 90°

folded door section to the wing, and to hell with the surrealistic elliptical mark for the leg root...

I told you it was a -the forum censor allows only this- bad girl of a kit...

I don't know your building habits. I usually decal before having the gear and other delicate impingements in place; but if you still have to decal, i warn again to beware the instructions!

Bugs notwithstanding, happy modeling!

Best ciaos. Bobo.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question, seems clear photos of non-restored a/c are scarce (not like looking for Tomcat photos by a long shot!) but trying to figure out how the canopy rails and such were painted. It *seems* like the rails themselves were left in gull gray with the canopy frame itself in black rather than both being in black. Am I right? How about the area behind the WSO's headrest near the canopy hinge?

Thanks! 

Last question (this beast is almost done now): Arresting Hook color. On an ADC Gray-painted ANG bird, about half of its long length is on the gray area and the other half on the bare metal engine/exhaust area. Should it be painted half-and-half accordingly, or all gray (except the tip of course)? Just can't find a decent view of it anywhere, restored examples or not!