I started this one the other day, but in my haste forgot to take any in progress shots.

The build has progressed pretty fast, the kit is nicely engineered though I know it has issues. I will make a few easy corrections but not fix everything.

I have modified the main gear struts to twin bogies, the wheels will come from a CH-53 kit's left overs. Not sure if I will attempt to add the forward observation windows.

Some shots will be provided shortly.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

And here they are...

The box :rolleyes:

35383367950_fd8762d22d_b.jpg

I started with painting some bits and pieces:

Seats

35730528056_d6ea8b2ceb_b.jpg

Blades

35730527626_549c6d186d_b.jpg

Some assembly, the rear fuselage went together without fuss, I had the rear ramp working until I added one of the gear sponsons. Now the ramp is glued up

35383367180_9e03c850d0_b.jpg

35730527326_777ef892c7_b.jpg

The other fuselage side

35639527531_268a65f78a_b.jpg

The rotor head and deck was assembled last night

35383367580_be77c5a4ac_b.jpg

and here are the modified gear legs and the other sponson which needed a little more putty than the one already fitted

35639527621_9d93757693_b.jpg

A final shot of both fuselage halves together, not glued yet

35383366950_ee5d6e8f1a_b.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Aahhh 1/72! That is a nice kit. I did the 1/48 conversion of a nice kit with the real nice Belcher Bits conversion. All nice but a real hard tricky build. You putting in .a Canadian interior?

Ahhh.... OOB  I think, I just want to build something that does not need a large number of mods and that I can finish in a short time. I still have a CP-140 to start as well.

What went in there, some consoles of some sort rather than the kit supplied 'troop'seats?

I'd go back a check your 1/48 build thread but I expect it is full PB ransomware links.

So I have got the interior stuff installed, as per Italeri's instructions. I would like to trick it out but like I said I would like to finish this up and get on with the Aurora

35746570326_335a7a6024_b.jpg

34976785783_de14b0e9df_b.jpg

35746569746_59b72e2c7c_b.jpg

Just need to repaint the rotor head and mount assembly as I went a bit crazy and used too much paint. Fortunately, I painted it with acrylics and was able was most of the paint off with Isopropyl Alcohol

Then I can seal it up for good and get on with it.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Masking finished, and I have added the pitot probes, antennas, and various lump.

The Italeri placement instructions for most of these parts were quite fictitious, I ended up referring to pictures on the net and placing them in more appropriate positions. That being said I used a bit of artistic license for some as I used some incorrectly shape kit provided parts.

Repositioned wire slicers

35926812775_4372867c3b_b.jpg

Correctly postioned pitot tubes

35926812295_4fa2e89877_b.jpg

Extra lumps underneath

35926811015_300e8ff490_b.jpg

Reshaped HF Antenna from kit parts

35538353050_4b5fdb9901_b.jpg

So it is almost ready for paint now

35538352390_0ecb2c1964_b.jpg

35886074866_1f49e7582c_b.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Thanks, Brendon. I find Italeri plastic easy to work with, colour does not seem to be an issue when working with it. When it comes to painting you need to either prime or apply more coats. It took a little more than usual paint to spray the interior.

I am thinking of priming the exterior due to the areas of putty I have as no doubt they will show up under a yellow base coat. 

Ray, When did you start this one?  I missed it while travelling overseas!  Another beautiful beginning with as usual wonderful results. Hmm, I too want to build one of these, have two in the stash, so one will be CAF SAR bird and one will be JMSDF Arctic Explorer or Police (if I can ever find the Flying Papa's decals.)  Keep on my brother!  Let's see the final results.  R/ Dutch    

9 hours ago, Dutch said:

Ray, When did you start this one?  I missed it while travelling overseas!  Another beautiful beginning with as usual wonderful results. Hmm, I too want to build one of these, have two in the stash, so one will be CAF SAR bird and one will be JMSDF Arctic Explorer or Police (if I can ever find the Flying Papa's decals.)  Keep on my brother!  Let's see the final results.  R/ Dutch    

Thanks Sean and Dutch.

Ahhh, First post was 7 July, so about the 3-4th? :rolleyes:

It's coming along. The Italeri kit while lacking some accuracy goes together with little fuss. Me being me, I had to correct it within reason and I think it is going along nicely. Once the yellow is sorted I will be masking up the black and red sections. Oh, how I love masking!

I also have both Merlin that were issued by Revell (RN) and Italeri(RAF) kits which I might get into once this is done.

Ray,

BTW, is that a VC10 in the background?  Roden?

Might as well build the RN & RAF Merlins after the Cormorant.  That way, you can capitalize on the corporate knowledge from building the first.  I try to build production line style and do several of the same type / model / series of aircraft and even model manufacturer to conserve time and create several like sub-assemblies or masking airframes / parts.  I mean, if I have SEA camo or Lt Gull Gray in the airbrush, I might as well do six if I am going to do one.

Keep calm and carry on!

R/ Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
correct spelling / grammar
14 hours ago, Dutch said:

Ray,

BTW, is that a VC10 in the background?  Roden?

Might as well build the RN & RAF Merlins after the Cormorant.  That way, you can capitalize on the corporate knowledge from building the first.  I try to build production line style and do several of the same type / model / series of aircraft and even model manufacturer to conserve time and create several like sub-assemblies or masking airframes / parts.  I mean, if I have SEA camo or Lt Gull Gray in the airbrush, I might as well do six if I am going to do one.

Keep calm and carry on!

R/ Dutch 

Yes; VC-10, no; Airfix and Airfix B727. A couple of shelf of doomers that I tinker with when I feel like it. Both have paint issues I try to fix when I can.

7 hours ago, Emvar said:

Very nice!

Did you find a fix to make the main gear double bogeys? Or you doing oob?

Cheers

Emil

Thanks, Emil

Yes, I have modified the gear legs with an extra axle and will use some wheels from the spares box to put on them.

You can see the new axles (just) in white in this picture.

35639527621_9d93757693_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...