• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dutch, I started to unmask the windscreens and the masking fluid I used did not perform very well. I am currently attempting to sand it off. I also managed to push one of the windows in. Hopefully, I can rescue some of the clarity of the clear parts and reinstall the window that was pushed in :crying:

Well, Martin, I have saved the clear parts (I think).

It will not be a prize winner ( not that any of my builds are!) but it will be good enough for government work.

36317644563_2f08441ddf_b.jpg

The offending masking fluid, I sanded it off a couple of panels (which had to be polished and re-coated with Future). The last panel (seen here) was hit with water which helped to loosen it a little and then scraped off with a tooth pick.

I also managed to push 2 of the cheek windows in during the rectification of the masking issue. So out with the clear glue

36733556010_dfddaaf21f_b.jpg

THe previously damaged windscreen panel looks OK now under the Future

36733555980_99957d7e5d_b.jpg

Thanks Sean, I thought I had glued those clear bits in fairly securely.

I have added the cabin door now and found I have put the red/white stripe on it in the wrong place. The Italeri instructions have not been the best for placing the lightning bolt decal (it did not help that I modified the window in the door as well). I am undecided whether I will bother removing it and repainting the stripe in the right place of not

Looks real nice, but I notice your using the "Armed Forces X Forces Armmes" instead of the postal mark on the upper front. Minus the roundel of course.

Built this in 1/48 , its a hard model to get to look right. Ya done good.

I saw your very nice 1/48 build.

I just used the kit decals for this build which were not 100% correct.

I also made a few cosmetic changes like the HF antenna mount, moving some of the cable cutters and opening up the window on the cabin door. The kit misses the bubble windows on the forward fuselage which I did not bother to add.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Ray.  Nicely done!  Considering mine is still in the box, you have done a marvelous job and helped tremedously with your unwitting tips.  I like the way you painted the rotors.  I will keep that in mind when the time comes,  Cheers! Dutch.  

• 1 year later...

Great build of a crappy kit, I tried it once and gave up.  Bit of a late to the party critique, the blades are green.  I know this by the probably hundreds of blades I removed or installed in 13 years as an Aviation Tech working on this machine.

3 hours ago, vet666 said:

Great build of a crappy kit, I tried it once and gave up.  Bit of a late to the party critique, the blades are green.  I know this by the probably hundreds of blades I removed or installed in 13 years as an Aviation Tech working on this machine.

Thanks, what shade of green, very dark?

I assume all EH101/Merlins have dark green blades?

4 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Thanks, what shade of green, very dark?

I assume all EH101/Merlins have dark green blades?

Wish I knew the exact fs number but they are a flat green and fairly dark, I was at Yeovil where they assemble them and Merlins seem to have the same colour blades, probably why the Cormorant got green ones instead of black.  Do a google search " CH 149 Cormorant rotor blade and go to images you will see a bunch that show the green blades.  Funny thing is the toy like die cast collector models have black blades.  Way back in the early 2000s near the start of Cormorant in active service we had bad troubles with the tail rotors half hub developing cracks and had to take blades off every 25 flying hours got quite familiar with green blades then...lol.  The tail rotor now is not a dual teetering design but a modified Lynx main rotor head modified for installation on a Cormorant tail.  Shows how big this machine is that a Lynx main head can be a tail rotor on the Cormorant.  So if you are building a Cormorant from the last few years the kit tail rotor will be wrong.