Hi guys,

I'm hoping to build a 1/48 F/A-18F with a load out of 10x GBU-32s as seen here and here

My question to those in the know; has the CAG jet '200' been used in the same vain as the image linked above? If so, any pictures of it loaded up? I've looked on Navy.mil but i could not find any of the colour jet with bombs loaded. I'd ideally like to do a low-vis jet, but i've noted the tail emblems of the Lion are different to those available in 1/48.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Dave1089

Not the particular squadron you are interested in but here are  a couple of hi vis Super Hornets that have seen action, note the bomb tally, along with a couple of Mavericks launches:

151118-N-ZF573-029.JPG

Still loaded:

130223-N-ZZ999-001.jpg

Jari

BlackLions CAG bird isn't a hangar queen:

170507-N-YL257-130.JPG

If you look closely at the weapon pylons, they are quite weathered, so yes, they were used.

CAG bird markings are available by fightertown decals.

Line bird markings are available by Furball decals.

Only the new CO bird isn't available.

Thanks guys.

Was just looking to see if there were any images of the CAG bird bombed up and if there was any bomb tally.

59 minutes ago, shion said:

If you look closely at the weapon pylons, they are quite weathered, so yes, they were used.

CAG bird markings are available by fightertown decals.

Line bird markings are available by Furball decals.

Only the new CO bird isn't available.

Could you link me to the Furball sheet? If it's the one I'm thinking of, the tail art looks darker than the current jets? Would have to fabricate a modex number and some bomb tally if i was going for '204'. Would anyone know the BuNo of that jet?

Thanks again

Edited by Dave1089

Check out the Bush's Facebook page if you haven't. My nephew is in the engineering department so I follow it. There's at least two jets that had the large load out. There's also some close ups of the munitions themselves. 

5 hours ago, Dave1089 said:

Thanks guys.

Was just looking to see if there were any images of the CAG bird bombed up and if there was any bomb tally.

Could you link me to the Furball sheet? If it's the one I'm thinking of, the tail art looks darker than the current jets? Would have to fabricate a modex number and some bomb tally if i was going for '204'. Would anyone know the BuNo of that jet?

Thanks again

Yes, it's the CO markings, they're darker.

But the real problem is how to find 4 BRU-57 racks and 10 GBU-32.

For the Buno (with the crew markings as bonus):

32519771710_9139b07f9e_k.jpg

Bigger version: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cne-cna-c6f/32519771710/sizes/o/

Edited by shion

Thanks guys, help is greatly appreciated.

Attack Squadron do the BRU-57s and GBU-32s in resin, though i'd prefer the latter in plastic. I've a separate thread in the classifieds for any spares from an Academy F-22 - got 2 so far :woot.gif:

Would have to do some creative decalling to  get '204' from the Furball sheet. Still hoping there might be a shot of the CAG bird out there loaded up and with a bomb tally!

Edited by Dave1089

You're not going to get an accurate AJ204 from the Furball sheet. The markings for 204 appear to be Medium Grey. Furball's AJ201 markings appear to be Engine Grey, which is much darker. Reference the pic I posted above of AJ201 and you can see the color differences in the markings of the two aircraft. 

Yeah not sure how i'll go about it. I've lots of low viz AJ, Navy, intake warnings, insignia and stencils  in the spares. Only difficulty would be the lions on the tail and the VFA-213 on the spine. Wondering if these could be toned down with light coloured pigments, or even dry brushing.

Think it would be easier altering that than trying to get the correct tail art for the CO jet. Looks to be the outline of the Lion rather than a solid marking. Or i could just have a slight inaccuracy and use the decals as provided by Furball and fabricate a bomb tally from spare decals.

Edited by Dave1089
2 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

You could do AJ201?

I'm thinking that and just having a slightly inaccurate tail emblem.

Knowing my luck, Furball or Fightertown will come out with a complete sheet for 2017 jets once i've mine built!

10 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

Snap, I went back to my references and now I see what you mean--the lions ARE different. Oh well.

Small issue I guess!

Maybe by the time i get around to it an accurate set will be out!

Have worked with 200 on several occasions in 2011 and again in 2014 (Older scheme).   As mentioned, she's no hangar queen, at least during those two periods anyway.

This image is from 2011, she was a bit lighter than the images you shared.   In 2014 she was loaded for bear but again, not as she's configured in the images you've shared.   I've not had a chance to work with this year, in the new VFA-213 scheme.

HTH a little, A'Hui hou

Buck

LIONCAG_zpseynueq3c.jpg

Thanks Buck, great shot!

I'm debating whether to hold off on my 213 bird in the hope that some accurate decals are released for the current cruise, perhaps along with the bird that downed the Su-22.

I've 3 others to be doing, VFA-22 bombed up being the most likely to be done if the 213 project is put on hold!

1 hour ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Got the current Black Lion 201 done for a future Fightertown Decals sheet. Hoping that, the Tamiya Tomcat and Combined Test sheets will all be out during the summer. 

Brian

Excellent news Brian, that ill help my project nicely! Any plans for a VFA-87 option?

Look forward to their release, more of my cash heading your way :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

I'll put the VFA-87 missle shoot jet on there. Waiting for end of cruise pictures from both to get a final version of markings. I'm sure I won't be the only one doing these markings. 

Cheers

brian 

Great news, thanks Brian. I'll be getting one of those sheets and the Tamiya Tomcat sheet! Any rough idea of a release date? Appreciate you have to wait until the cruise is finished!

cheers

Dave

On 7/11/2017 at 11:22 AM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Got the current Black Lion 201 done for a future Fightertown Decals sheet. Hoping that, the Tamiya Tomcat and Combined Test sheets will all be out during the summer. 

Brian

Brian

What scale will the decals be?