Hi guy,

No, it's not quite as weird as it sound - it's just me starting yet another project.  
It's the Industria Mechanika 1/35 Dragonfly resin kit. It's really nicely molded and is easy enough for a simpleton like me to put together. There's a lot of really nice detail in the form of gears and cogs here and there, rivets and a beautifully crafted pilot figure which I won't be able to do justice too. You don't get a billion parts which is great too.You get laser cut clear inserts for the PE wing frames to sandwich and the PE frets have a lot of additional details you can add to for rigging etc.
It builds up to a decent size too and spanning about 35cm or so I think.

I have what I think is a cool scheme in mind for this by combing metal and wood using wood decals for the main body segments so I end up with something similar to a naked Mig-3

So, what do you get for your money? Have a squiz:

35787468445_752fc644de_c.jpg

34977366883_bd13b3bd96_c.jpg

34977389493_121e2fe2ff_c.jpg

34947175184_43a046dac1_c.jpg

35746674806_72da61952c_c.jpg

35618045172_9779f69ffa_c.jpg

35399168760_fcf976aa63_c.jpg

35399186040_a9730b01f6_c.jpg

The parts have been primed and are currently drying.

Well, that's enough for now so thanks for looking

MH

Edited by The Madhatter

hi again
What can I say - there isn't much to put together so it's painting up first.
I masked off the wood section and will use the tape as a template for the wood decal sheets
The paint is all Alclad for the moment
Sorry for the average photos - its night time here and Ive blown my white bulb so the temperature is all skew whiff, but you get the idea

4e19363a-5ac1-4bfe-8be0-8078866f9e47_zps

9c0c8204-92fc-4e42-befe-b096a784c433_zps

IMG_4772_zpslrtcosmk.jpg

d28cf9ce-c404-485c-9f7b-2b6c35d3d5fe_zps

ec316318-7da5-453d-bdb8-094bc58e68d0_zps

I do apologise again for the above pictures - they don't really show the colours and need to be taken in daylight

Thanks for indulging me

MH

Thanks guys
Small update. I finally found some time today to take some (hopefully) better pictures.
I have decided to repaint the metal as I was having issues with the paint lifting off (despite all the usual precautions like priming, clear coat etc)
For whatever reason, the Tamiya masking tape was just peeling it off in chunks. This isn't such a bad thing as it has left me trying something else.
I found a heap of left over PE from my BR-52 and seeing as it's all in the same scale, I may as well add some extra detail to places like the cockpit and the mechanical area. I wont go overboard though. Just a little bit

IMG_4792_zpsc2uukq6v.jpg

IMG_4794_zpss4hkdh70.jpg

IMG_4795_zpsoourdtxk.jpg

IMG_4801_zpszerladtn.jpg

IMG_4805_zpsxggwx0tl.jpg

IMG_4808_zpss5bzsskp.jpg

I love all the little details in this kit like the cogs and so on.

I'm going to start making the legs soon but I have to decide now how I am going to display this. I was pondering the idea of having it sit on a wooden landing pad. I have left over balsa sheet I could use for making planks but I'd have to go buy some for the frame. Or do I make it in-flight -- which would mean I would have to make and paint the pilot figure and I'll be honest - I can't paint figures for squat.

Ah well - first world problems hey. Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

Took a quick pic of the main mechanical body and I am pretty happy with how it's coming along. I have added a light wash and created oil stains

IMG_4824_zps2qregwwt.jpg

IMG_4814_zpsgua3e9ft.jpg

I have also finished respraying the metal on the main body and once its fully cured, I'll be adding the wooden decals. I'm keen to see if it comes out as I have it in my head.

thanks for looking

That looks great. I have been putting off buying this kit but now after seeing yours I might bite the bullet and pick it up. To be honest it is a toss up between this and the Hornet version.

thanks Janne - I wish I could paint figures. Might have another try with this guy later. It's such a nicely molded figure I feel I just won't do it the justice it deserves.

Skyhawk - I almost bought the Hornet at one point, but I was waiting for ages for the Dragonfly on Pre-order. But my choices at the time were the Deaths Head Moth and the Dragonfly. I just saw more scheme potential in the Dragonfly/. It was still a hard choice though because the Moth is pretty cool.

Thanks for the link Blake :) I've had success in the past in masking Alclad - just not on this occasion. All good though - I have resprayed it and it looks the part. The clear coat is currently drying and once it's dry, I'll take some pic. I'm pretty happy with how it's come out so far. I am a bit disappointed in the eyes - the lens shifted a bit and moved the paint underneath and now there's a patch which isn't green and of course, I can't take the lens off the eye section without breaking the surroundings. Other than that though - everything else is peachy and exactly how I pictured it.

I took a couple of quick pics of where I am currently up to.
I attached the metal parts to the main body with CA and a piece of brass tube through the middle to pin it together.
The rear end has been attached and I added seat belts, a gear lever of some kind made of brass rod and a bead of solder for the knob, and threw in a couple of steam valves for giggles. I also added some cut mesh for the floor and a step from a BR52 for a pedal that does .... something.
I'm also trying to put on the windscreen - but it is being very difficult at present, so it's sitting there waiting for the body to fully cure.
I also put together a wing to see how hard it would be and it turned out to be easier than I thought, so I'll keep on with those

so, here's where it sits currently:

d96d2f00-4052-4a34-911e-ed72b9918d03_zps

096b1e63-c072-41c4-bb31-3b61eee18d0d_zps

ac149352-f4c1-4db2-b2a0-23165c2463a9_zps

86be5893-8e5e-44cd-b7d3-aaa39ac3f9e8_zps

Well, that's it for now. The wife and son arrive back on Saturday, so progress will undoubtedly slow down a bit. Thanks for looking
Si

quick update - it has legs! I'll try to take some better shots on Wednesday when I have my RDO.

f4f8ea5d-a2bb-4cc5-873d-668442e86fea_zps

61e6e8ce-0923-4028-b1a8-01bb6ba6bb30_zps

I still need to add some rigging to the legs once they're fully cured and then I can add the finished wings and add rigging to them as well - which ought to be fun as I have never rigged anything before!
Thanks for looking
Si

Wow what a beautiful job you are doing on this model. Thanks so much for sharing your journey. Now I am in a real toss up, do I get this of the Hornetopter? Hmm I know I will buy this down the road after I at least build one of the silly kits.

As for your progress, it sure looks like it can fly. I really like the "wood" panels I thought this was an all metal thing. However after having said that, I guess it can be anything we want right?

Thanks again for posting and the inspiration.

I'm a firm believer of doing a kit in anyway you like. I love WHIF's and Sci-Fi is essentially a huge WHIF subject :)

I had today off, so while the sun is out (well, sought of - it  keeps disappearing behind the clouds and reappearing for a brief minute), I took a few quick snaps which are better than the ones I took on Sunday night

The head is attached and is secured in place with a piece of brass rod. The wings are done and ready to go on - I just need to get the leg rigging on first. I have lost a piece of PE which was a guide for the topside rigging. I will have to make do without it

IMG_4863_zpsckrly6zy.jpg

IMG_4864_zpsws8i2cjt.jpg

IMG_4855_zpsivscz7f0.jpg

IMG_4854_zpssfw3felz.jpg

IMG_4856_zpsasih6j7w.jpg

IMG_4857_zps0reimfib.jpg

IMG_4861_zpsmoyzgnpm.jpg

I still have a few things to tidy up as you can see but these items won't take too long. I am going to try get some rigging done this afternoon

As always, thanks for looking

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues now with the base under way and not far from completion.
Just needs some paint and somewhere to house a battery, plus a little ground work before it's done. I haven't added the wings yet and they will be the last thing to go on

36338153616_164114744e_c.jpg

35574719833_c857ef1ea3_c.jpg

36382770315_295feff5e6_c.jpg

35547300164_fdc3df23f5_c.jpg

36246197811_2d5a33e899_c.jpg

As always, thanks for looking
Si

Edited by The Madhatter

use it by all means :) As for the battery, that's most likely where I'll end up hiding it (underneath). I thought about holding it inside a crate or something but I am not sure I have enough room to have it there. I will keep playing around with it in the mean time

Thanks for looking in :)

Not far from the finish line now. Bit more weathering to the landing pad and finish the base that the landing pad will sit on and wire up the wing an she's all done

35829565524_02789b3ff5_c.jpg

36664509795_2264711a5a_c.jpg

36525962911_017d27e6a2_c.jpg

36268373380_1a2d0d7247_c.jpg

36525889551_18d2f4f03c_c.jpg

That's all I have for now but I shall be working on it over Sunday through to Tuesday and hopefully it'll be 99% fiished by then
As always, thank for looking
Si

I agree with Jackman, you are doing some awesome work on this kit.  I always thought this was a cool looking kit when I saw it on the Industria Mechanika web site but couldn't think of a good way to display it.  You have definitely solved that problem.  I can't wait to see it finished.