Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aigore

F-14A Tomcat, VF-1 Wolfpack

Recommended Posts

Well then, another sneak build finished.
I had a perfectly good reason for not making a WIP thread on this, it was namely started at our annual plastic camp for middle aged...well, men.
It was held in the last weekend of May and it was fun fun fun :D

A link to the event....it´s all in Swedish but the pics speaks more than a thousand words!

http://ipmsgoteborg.clubdiscussion.net/t5046-plastkollo-6-hjalmared-2017-05-26-28

Anyhew, I started this build there...
I´t the famous Tamyia Tomcat in 1/48th scale and I wanted it in early VF-1 livré. That meant some converting, hacking and slashing :D
I´put in the steels beach early Tomcat resin, a boat tail, gun grill and IRST chin pod. Well me being me I put in more resin: Aires burner cans and 
bang seats followed by Eduard rear mirriors and wheels, Master alfa probes and Fighter Town decals. It all went together surprisingly well and the 
decals worked reasonably too even if they were meant for the Hasegawa kitty.
The Tamyia kit is simply lovely to build...everything just fits!it´s more like assembly than building actually but I managed to find spots to putty :P


The buNo 158982 I decided to build was one of the first to be lost to compressor stall that was plaguing the TF-30 engines, it was lost in January 1975
in the South China Sea outside the Philipines, both pilot and RIO ejected safely.


DSC_3197_zpseypvlcjp.jpg

DSC_3201_zpsubb6cft8.jpg

DSC_3204_zpsvy9kvna4.jpg

DSC_3207_zpscnecqvjt.jpg

DSC_3209_zpsss3vcp1o.jpg

DSC_3212_zps1iltawyu.jpg

DSC_3215_zps8gqudfpl.jpg

DSC_3219_zpsca9ydvkf.jpg

DSC_3223_zpsle0mvrhq.jpg

DSC_3227_zpsyeosoehh.jpg

DSC_3231_zps5glqjrl5.jpg

DSC_3235_zpstkn3dero.jpg

DSC_3239_zpsw4ayaurr.jpg

DSC_3242_zpscufac4ng.jpg

DSC_3246_zps9krc72ij.jpg

DSC_3249_zpskbkli5r2.jpg

DSC_3253_zpsjerdprks.jpg

DSC_3258_zpsa1cpp3ps.jpg

DSC_3261_zpszweofujn.jpg

DSC_3264_zpsbz9kvrbc.jpg

DSC_3268_zpsqhlx14jy.jpg

DSC_3271_zpsbsoiseby.jpg

DSC_3274_zpsmxgzhj4b.jpg

DSC_3277_zpsqz4mvirr.jpg

DSC_3279_zpsmlenlkin.jpg

DSC_3280_zpsytnw1y2p.jpg

DSC_3284_zpsmzkjp2vq.jpg

DSC_3285_zpsghic1ktv.jpg

DSC_3286_zps5sdcli4v.jpg

DSC_3287_zpsbui7gupt.jpg

DSC_3289_zpsi7futhxj.jpg

DSC_3291_zps5ytjfj4k.jpg

DSC_3293_zpsecuncekj.jpg

DSC_3295_zpskwaelkfo.jpg


THanx for looking
Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rocketdrvr said:

WOW!  No other words to describe your beautiful workmanship!

Thanx Rocketdrvr :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

WOW!

 

Now that is absolutely fantastic work... really beautiful.  Those early Wolfpack markings are so cool too.

 

Bravo!

Thanx Fighting Eighty-Four, always good to pass muster with a Tomcat virtuoso :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, my favs are F`s said:

Very very nice looking Tomcat! Awesone colors! And the nozzles - amazing! 

Thanx my favs are F's :)

Quite pleased with the nozzles too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love love love it!  Great job on the early beaver tail surgery too!  I tried working that onto my Tami-cat, albeit with the dielectric panels cut out, and couldn't get it to look right- so I abandoned that idea.  Yours looks amazing- well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

Love love love it!  Great job on the early beaver tail surgery too!  I tried working that onto my Tami-cat, albeit with the dielectric panels cut out, and couldn't get it to look right- so I abandoned that idea.  Yours looks amazing- well done!

Thanx Falconxlvi :D

It wasn't easy getting the rear to fit properly with aires exhausts added too. And if you look carefully I didn't get a snug fit on the underside. I thought I'd make the upper side look seamless and accept a bad alignment on the underside...guess you just have to choose your battles :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Sebastijan said:

Great work, Janne! I like the backdating you did!

Thanx seb :D

It had to be done.....AMS you know  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a tough surgery to do, especially with aftermarket nozzles. You did a tremendous job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a tough surgery to do, especially with aftermarket nozzles. You did a tremendous job!

Thanx Darren :D

 

Well, next time I'll only use the nozzles and keep the Tamyia afterburner...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely gorgeous. I've been looking over the pics for a good 15 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful Tomcat!  :thumbsup::thumbsup:   All that converting, hacking and slashing really paid off.

 

Your great photography makes that 'cat jump off the page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Micro said:

Absolutely gorgeous. I've been looking over the pics for a good 15 minutes.

Thanx Micro :D

Managed to hide the mistakes good, eh? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JohnS said:

Beautiful Tomcat!  :thumbsup::thumbsup:   All that converting, hacking and slashing really paid off.

 

Your great photography makes that 'cat jump off the page.

Thanx JohnS :D

A few minutes if editing in Light room pays off :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice job Aigore!  Those are probably my favorite markings of all time and you did them well. Was lucky to have been on that cruise (different squadron) and to have seen them do their stuff.  Good job Janne. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gary F said:

Really nice job Aigore!  Those are probably my favorite markings of all time and you did them well. Was lucky to have been on that cruise (different squadron) and to have seen them do their stuff.  Good job Janne. 

Thanx Gary :D

Really nice getting praise from a guy who actually was there, means a lot! :D

Any special memories of the day NK-107 went down, you could share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I remember a number of losses that cruise most were away from the ship. I was actually wondering if your bird was one lost while we were in port and flying from Cubi.  We were launching some of our A-6's and heard a Tomcat had gone down.  Shortly afterwards, after swapping crew and hot refueling one of out tankers  went back up, caught fire and crashed trying to make it back in. Crew got out but the Tomcat stuff kind of got lost in our own troubles. 

One fun thing I do recall seeing at sea, was a VF-1 bird go down the track, go full ab and notice all four wheels off the deck but still attached to the catapult ... I was at eye level to the deck in the catwalk waiting for one of our birds to come forward. Never saw it again the rest of the cruise. That was the same guy that went vertical off the end of the cat and started going straight up, for a while. Didn't go very far before he ran out of speed and pushed over, came back down to deck level before he got flying again. Impressive at the time, until I saw an F-15 go vertical at takeoff and it just kept accelerating until it disappeared. But in 75 those Wolfpack tomcats were fun to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gary F said:

While I remember a number of losses that cruise most were away from the ship. I was actually wondering if your bird was one lost while we were in port and flying from Cubi.  We were launching some of our A-6's and heard a Tomcat had gone down.  Shortly afterwards, after swapping crew and hot refueling one of out tankers  went back up, caught fire and crashed trying to make it back in. Crew got out but the Tomcat stuff kind of got lost in our own troubles. 

One fun thing I do recall seeing at sea, was a VF-1 bird go down the track, go full ab and notice all four wheels off the deck but still attached to the catapult ... I was at eye level to the deck in the catwalk waiting for one of our birds to come forward. Never saw it again the rest of the cruise. That was the same guy that went vertical off the end of the cat and started going straight up, for a while. Didn't go very far before he ran out of speed and pushed over, came back down to deck level before he got flying again. Impressive at the time, until I saw an F-15 go vertical at takeoff and it just kept accelerating until it disappeared. But in 75 those Wolfpack tomcats were fun to watch. 

Thanks :D

 

I think the NK-107 was the first from VF-1 to crash, early january 1975 in the south china sea outside the Philippines.

Compressor stall.

Loss rates were high those days....Sweden lost 600 air crews during the cold war just from accidents, a lot of that was controlled flight into the ground.  We were frighteningly good at low level flying...but the experience came with a high price tag, you either became good or you died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Aigore. Excellent work. I love the photos and those early cats are my favorites. Congratulations!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fefster said:

 

Aigore. Excellent work. I love the photos and those early cats are my favorites. Congratulations!!

Thanx Fefster :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

How did I miss this?
So awesome! Brilliant execution, beautifully photographed. :thumbsup:

Thanx Captain :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...