1/48 FAA Corsair IV - Hammy Gray V.C.

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I last participated in a Group Build but any excuse to add to the Corsair collection and I am in!  This time its a very Canadian subject despite being a Royal Navy Corsair - its #115: Hammy Grey's Corsair.  I did one a while back in 1/72 and I eventually sold it.  48th is my scale and I am looking forward to trying my hand at this iconic plane.

Requisite box top - I've built 1 or 2 of these in the past:

lN6LLh0.jpg

Here is the FAA conversion kit instructions (and they are so-so)

xWkvJwK.jpg

Here are some of the the FAA parts (wow.. these are very nice!)

V8RAvzV.jpg

kROmCnK.jpg

bWyTVjG.jpg

And here are the decals I am going to use

mnI8Hmw.jpg

The sidewalls fit perfectly and did not require much clean up.  Just chisel out the tamiya sidewall detail and these are a drop fit.  

Edited by CorsairMan

Hey hey

Got the cockpit pretty much done - Nothing too fancy - just paint and some drybrushing.  I did detail the seat though - the seatbelts were very nice.  I can close up the fuselage and work on chopping down the wings next.

nTKZoHe.jpg

bD7f9BX.jpg

5bFnfQe.jpg

205ZOXg.jpg

• CorsairMan changed the title to 1/48 FAA Corsair IV - Hammy Gray V.C.

Nice work CM.  I used those decals on my Corsair a while back.  I had wrinkle issues with the wing walks.  Everything else went on like a gem.

1 hour ago, AX 365 said:

Nice work CM.  I used those decals on my Corsair a while back.  I had wrinkle issues with the wing walks.  Everything else went on like a gem.

Thanks for the heads up!  I might end up painting them on then. 

Decals give me me such fits now. 

On 7/20/2017 at 5:40 AM, CorsairMan said:

the effect is done with black basing and then dry brushing with white or grey. Once that is done I spray a light coat of the interior colour. Just enough to show the highlights 

Wow, never heard of that before, but the result looks great!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - just skipping quickly

The fuselage closed up very nicely.

FAA Corsairs had chopped wings - depending on your source, it can really be confusing as to how much to take off.  I relied on some pictures of FAA corsairs (and not drawings) to approximate the right spot.  I also glued in a piece of clear sprue and filed/sanded/polished it to shape.  That is what the tamiya tape is covering.

fqBhaEa.jpg

Tamiya Corsairs are notoriously tricky to get the wings aligned properly.  This time I followed the instructions after I shimmed up the inside of the mating parts between the "inner" and "outer" wings.  It made the attachment much easier and stronger.  I have also measured the height of the wingtips on the completed wings - less than a mm difference.  I also glued in the flaps before painting this time.  I have always had such a time trying to get these things (a) aligned and (b) attached solidly in the past.  Yes - it will mean I will have to be a bit more careful with my painting (but I have an idea for that)

I'll be doing this method from now on!

BC5GVGl.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there - I am building this along side a big Corsair and things got stalled when I tried to put on the decals.

No matter what, the decals would not settle at all.  It was like they were stickers.  I tried a couple times without much luck.

So I resorted to painting on the roundels - as you can see, they turned out ok

ZNgR5T2.jpg