How to make intake covers

The hard plastic pre-formed ones or the soft flexible type?

Miliput or a similar material can be formed and texture added while it dries. You can roll it out very thin and work it easily by dampening it with water.

Edited by Craig Baldwin

Self-adhesive vinyl works well. That's what I use for the Steel Beach sets to simulate the canvas covers. The hard plastic covers are a bit more challenging. I concur with Craig about using a two part epoxy putty. I use Apoxy Sculpt.

For soft covers, you can use tin foil, tissue paper and PVA glue.  Form the tin foil around the intake (or exhaust) larger then needed, coat it with PVA glue apply tissue paper, more PVA glue.  Let dry.  Then cut to desired size.  Paint to match.

Tutorial can be found on the ARC web page under tools and tips

Edited by oggy

I just made soft covers for my Hornet build. I used Kleenex. What I did was pulled apart the Kleenex tissues and then got a paintbrush and some water. I laid each thin tissue over the intake then painted water over it. I just layered it until it had the right look. I then took a little bit of white glue and diluted it and gently painted it over the tissues. I let it dry over night. Then I very gently pulled it off the model kit and trimmed it up to look the par then I put it back on. When I was satisfied with the look I painted another layer of white glue over it and it hardened up nicely. I was really impressed with the results!