Best method to replicate anti-skid areas on 1/48 jets

I'm interested in a textured anti-skid solution to use on the walkways for a 1/48 F-4N I'm building.  

Theres a product called "Hull Tex" that would be appropriate, however, the aggregate seems to be a little thick in 1/48.  They have an online demo on a 1/35 Merkava. It seems a little oversized for that model too.  

Any other products or solutions out there?

Thanks.

Chris

It's not that rough in real life. Roughness would manifest as drag in flight. Flat paint would be accurate in 1/48, especially if you used a satin or semi-gloss for the rest of the airframe. Ns were pretty glossy up until they went to TPS in the late '80s. They were painted with DuPont Imron epoxy paint which held its gloss very well. I use a 50/50 mix of gloss and flat to varnish aircraft from that era.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

I use krylon textured (or other brand), they sell it at most hardware stores for other application, just be sure you have your area masked off well and the rest of the plane  masked/covered as well because the stuff comes out fast and goes everywhere (rattle can).  Others thin putty and use a stiff bristled brush and "dab" it over the masked areas.  Google is your friend.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with Dave on this one. I think the best way to replicate the anti-slip is to use spray a heavier coat of flat varnish on the appropriate area. If need be, spraying a slightly darker shade of the base colour will help to distinguish it from the non-coated areas. Because of the flat finish, the areas with the flat varnish will also take weathering products differently than the other areas and that will help in giving contrast.

Mark

I have used a method that was described on a set of Two Bobs decals

1. Mask of the areas around the area you want the walkway

2. Use a spray adhesive (I used 3M(TM) Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive Spray. This is what was recomened)

3. Sprinkle with Talcum powder or other very fine grain.  I used some Badger Aluminum Oxide abrasive that I had) 

4. Once dry paint as you wish 

I am still in the process of painting the jet but i really like the way it looks.  

I am also with Dave on this one. I use a flat clear on walkways, just for a bit of contrast with the surrounding gloss paints.

And as any wing walker will remember,,,,,,,,,it is almost as easy to slip on a "non skid" surface as it is on the rest of the fuselage or wing.

It is called "non-skid",,,,,,,but, the real purpose is to mark out where it is "legal" to regularly  walk on the aircraft,,,,,,,that is why some Phantom wing walk rhomboids were just outlines on the wing, with the top color inside the lines.