F-18 ATARS questions 1:48

I am finally getting around to starting on my ATARS-equipped F/A-18D.

I will be using the following items:

Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18D Hornet 'VIKINGS' (Kit 09389)
Wolfpack 1/48 F/A-18D(N) Hornet ATARS conversion set (WP48077)
Hasegawa 1/48 Aircraft Weapons:E (For Litening, GBU-38 & AIM-120C)
Flying Leathernecks Decals "Devil Dog Deltas" (FL48013)
Flying Leathernecks Decals "VMFA(AW)-121 "Green Knights OIF Tour 2007 (FL48004)

I originally bought the Devil Dog Deltas decal sheet because I liked the colorful schemes, but I could not find any photographic proof that any of those schemes ever flew as an ATARS jet.
So I wound up getting the VMFA(AW)-121 "Green Knights" OIF Tour 2007, because at least one of the jets was an ATARS jet

Now for my questions:

Does anybody have photographic proof that one of the aircraft on the Devil Dog Deltas sheet actually flew as an ATARS jet?

What type of weapons load would an ATARS jet carry during an operational recce mission?

The weapons load info on the Green Knights instruction CD shows two GBU-12s on CVERs on station 2 or 8, along with AGM-65E/Fs on the opposite pylons.

I thought I had seen a photo of 2 GBU-38s on a CVER. Is that a good load, or only one on the pylon?

How about aftermarket GBU-12s? 
The ones by CMK, Brassin and Skunkworks seem pretty expensive, although the Brassin ones seem the most cost-effective. Same goes for their AGM-65E/Fs.

Would an ATARS F/A-18D ever use AIM-120s or AIM-9Xs on the wing tips?

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
Spelling

Larry here is a Marines F/A-18D, Bengals. it is recent but you can see it's weapon load of bombs and missiles:

170531-F-MI569-131.JPG

170531-F-MI569-120.JPG

edit: one more, a 121 ATARs jet with a bomb on Stn 5:

mulan_jet.jpg

Jari

Edited by Finn
53 minutes ago, Finn said:

Larry here is a Marines F/A-18D, Bengals. it is recent but you can see it's weapon load of bombs and missiles:

170531-F-MI569-131.JPG

Jari

Jari,

Thanks for the cool photos. :thumbsup:

In the first photo there is a large, rectangular "bump" right after the nose gear. That is not in my kit, nor is it in my ATARS conversion. I wonder what it is, and when they were installed? Possibly a datalink antenna for the ATARS? :dontknow:

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
9 minutes ago, PlasticWeapons said:

Larry, 

That nose gear door antenna will be found only in later Hasegawa Hornet kits containing sprue M. It is part M5. 

That's not the "antenna" I was talking about. It's the large, square, white box-shaped thing on the lower fuselage, right behind the nose wheel well.

Like I said, part M5 (AN/ALQ-126 mounted on drag brace door). Also included on Sprue M are the chaff/flare dispensers, GPS dome for the spine, IFF antennae, and new centerline pylon. 

78D5173B-D159-4E8C-B9A3-1F89493439D6_zps

92F3F760-D777-45A9-A96A-4A2CDB49062C_zps

Edited by PlasticWeapons
Better photos

1 hour ago, PlasticWeapons said:

Like I said, part M5 (AN/ALQ-126 mounted on drag brace door). Also included on Sprue M are the chaff/flare dispensers, GPS dome for the spine, IFF antennae, and new centerline pylon. 

Everything PlasticWeapons showed in the photos from the Hasegawa F/A-18D sprue M is also in the Wolfpack ATARS conversion set. The M5 antenna is molded to the gear door on the Wolfpack set. They are in my set but I have no way to show a photo now seeing photobucket just notified me I am no longer able to post to 3rd party forums. Once I start a new photo hosting account I will try to post a photo of my Wolfpack ATARS set.

Okay, I blew up that photo and I can now see that the antenna I was talking about is actually on the gear door. However, it is larger and a different shape than the one in the Hasegawa "M" sprue, and different from the one in my Wolfpack ATARS set. I guess I will have to cut off the one in my conversion and add a larger scratch-built one. :bandhead2:

I first have to see if I can find any more detailed photos.

Larry

16 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

1. Does anybody have photographic proof that one of the aircraft on the Devil Dog Deltas sheet actually flew as an ATARS jet?

2. What type of weapons load would an ATARS jet carry during an operational recce mission?

3. The weapons load info on the Green Knights instruction CD shows two GBU-12s on CVERs on station 2 or 8, along with AGM-65E/Fs on the opposite pylons.

I thought I had seen a photo of 2 GBU-38s on a CVER. Is that a good load, or only one on the pylon?

4. How about aftermarket GBU-12s? 
The ones by CMK, Brassin and Skunkworks seem pretty expensive, although the Brassin ones seem the most cost-effective. Same goes for their AGM-65E/Fs.

5. Would an ATARS F/A-18D ever use AIM-120s or AIM-9Xs on the wing tips?

Larry

1. None of the aircraft covered on that sheet were fitted with ATARS. While it is possible that one of those aircraft have since been configured, the likely hood that it still has the same markings are next to nil.

2. ATARS fitted aircraft carry the exact same ordnance loads that any other aircraft in the squadron would carry. The only obvious exception would be the gun.

3. The ordnance loads provided in the instructions were given to me by the squadron Ordnance Officer. Those were the standard and most used configurations during their deployment.

4. For aftermarket, the Eduard Brassin GBU-12 are nice, but the bomb itself is incorrectly shaped. The best GBU-12 I have found in 1/48 scale are those included in the Tamiya F-16C Block 25 (ANG) kit. I haven't seen the CMK GBU-12 in person.

5. Yes. As I mentioned above, aircraft are configured based on the mission/threat. ATARS Deltas maintain all of their offensive/defensive weapons capability and will be loaded the same as any other aircraft.

2 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

However, it is larger and a different shape than the one in the Hasegawa "M" sprue, and different from the one in my Wolfpack ATARS set. I guess I will have to cut off the one in my conversion and add a larger scratch-built one. :bandhead2:

I first have to see if I can find any more detailed photos.

Larry

There are good photos of the antenna on page 166 of "The Modern Hornet Guide," by Jake Melampy. Hasegawa part M5 has the correct shape. 

8 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

4. For aftermarket, the Eduard Brassin GBU-12 are nice, but the bomb itself is incorrectly shaped. The best GBU-12 I have found in 1/48 scale are those included in the Tamiya F-16C Block 25 (ANG) kit. I haven't seen the CMK GBU-12 in person.

The rear section (Part #R1) of the Eduard ones looks like an absolute witch to clean up -the resin 'plug' sits right inside the front edges of the fins...:doh:

I'd steer clear of anything in two sections anyway; the Tamiya ones are probably worth buying the Block 25 kit for!

50 minutes ago, ChippyWho said:

the Tamiya ones are probably worth buying the Block 25 kit for!

Sorry, but IMHO there is NOTHING worth buying an F-16 kit for.........................unless it came with one or more accurate recce pods. :taunt:

(Especially on my limited disability income)

Larry

P.S. The same also goes for any F-14, F-15 or F-18 kit. :monkeydance:

Edited by ReccePhreak
12 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

1. None of the aircraft covered on that sheet were fitted with ATARS. While it is possible that one of those aircraft have since been configured, the likely hood that it still has the same markings are next to nil.

2. ATARS fitted aircraft carry the exact same ordnance loads that any other aircraft in the squadron would carry. The only obvious exception would be the gun.

3. The ordnance loads provided in the instructions were given to me by the squadron Ordnance Officer. Those were the standard and most used configurations during their deployment.

5. Yes. As I mentioned above, aircraft are configured based on the mission/threat. ATARS Deltas maintain all of their offensive/defensive weapons capability and will be loaded the same as any other aircraft.

Dave,

Thanks for answering all my questions, especially about the GBU-12s. Glad I didn't order any of the Brassin ones yet. I will put out some posts, seeing if anybody can spare a couple of the ones from the Tamiya F-16 kit you mentioned.

I am curious that you appeared to be okay with the Eduard ones in 2016, but now you don't think they are good?

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=30173

Larry

11 hours ago, PlasticWeapons said:

There are good photos of the antenna on page 166 of "The Modern Hornet Guide," by Jake Melampy. Hasegawa part M5 has the correct shape. 

Thanks for all the good info on that antenna. I should be able to scratch build one.

Larry

9 hours ago, Finn said:

Here is one from the side:

fa-18d_164688_13_of_15.jpg

Jari

Great photo, Jari. Thanks so much.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
1 hour ago, ReccePhreak said:

Dave,

Thanks for answering all my questions, especially about the GBU-12s. Glad I didn't order any of the Brassin ones yet. I will put out some posts, seeing if anybody can spare a couple of the ones from the Tamiya F-16 kit you mentioned.

I am curious that you appeared to be okay with the Eduard ones in 2016, but now you don't think they are good?

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=30173

Larry

Thanks for all the good info on that antenna. I should be able to scratch build one.

Larry

Great photo, Jari. Thanks so much.

Larry

Larry,

I still believe the Eduard GBU-12 are really nice. The bomb body is just incorrect in its shape. Overall, the Tamiya ones are just a bit more accurate. 

Just for your inspiration, check out these 2 pics of my lately built Bengal Tiger. :))) It has the SNIPER pod on the centerline along with 2 fuel tanks. PS: These are not missiles on the wingtips, just the clean rails:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by my favs are F`s
8 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Larry,

I still believe the Eduard GBU-12 are really nice. The bomb body is just incorrect in its shape. Overall, the Tamiya ones are just a bit more accurate. 

Dave,

Thanks for the reply & clarification. I may have a lead on 2 of the Tamiya GBU-12s.

Larry

8 hours ago, my favs are F`s said:

Just for your inspiration, check out these 2 pics of my lately built Bengal Tiger. :))) It has the SNIPER pod on the centerline along with 2 fuel tanks. PS: These are not missiles on the wingtips, just the clean rails:

Nice looking "Bengal" Hornet. Which kit & scale is it?

8 hours ago, my favs are F`s said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great looking model. Just an FYI though, the Marine Corps doesn't use the Sniper pod. We're using LITENING pods.

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Great looking model. Just an FYI though, the Marine Corps doesn't use the Sniper pod. We're using LITENING pods.

Dave,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Larry

12 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Larry,

Dave,

Did the GBU-12s used by the Marines have that anti-ablative coating on them?

Larry