Su-34 - Trumpeter & Italeri 1/72nd kits compared

I have now got both of the existing 1/72 scale kits - the new one from Trumpeter (2017 release) - and the old one from Italeri (released in 1995) - so I thought I'd do a comparison.... these are just my personal opinions BTW.....

The Trumpeter kit is typical from them - excellent packaging, crisp moulding and loads of weaponry and very expensive - but also some shape errors.

It also represents the latest configuration - whereas the Italeri kit is of a Su-34 from about 20 years ago...

su-34_001.jpg

Trumpeters excellent box art.......

su-34_002.jpg

.... and superb packaging.

su-34_003.jpg

But the nose is way off !!!

su-34_017.jpg

.... compared to the real thing :woot.gif:

Italeri got it much better - all those years ago.....

su-34_006.jpg

Italeri upper fuselage mated to Trumpeter lower....

su-34_008.jpg

Italeri lower fuselage mated to Trumpeter upper. Note the strakes on the Trumpeter kit (an addition since Italeri kitted their version).

su-34_009.jpg

Trumpeter moulded the fuselage and wings as one part...... (but got the wingspan wrong - they measured the span WITHOUT the wingtip launch rails - so it works out at 208mm instead of the correct 204mm - Italeri is nearer at 205mm)

su-34_004.jpg

Note also the sharp edge to the curved engine nacelles.....

su-34_007.jpg

Italeri's nacelles are blended in better - much more subtle.

su-34_010.jpg

Italer got their fins wrong - the early Su-34 prototypes had a taller fin taken from the Su-27UB - it was later replaced with a shorter fin taken from a single-seat Su-27.

Trumpeter's fin (on the left) is better.

su-34_011.jpg

Trumpeter provide the latest tailboom - with a built-in APU - but it is a half-hearted attempt - you have to cut out a recess and fit the intake grille into it.

And.... they don't provide the APU exhaust flaps at the top rear of the tailboom....

su-34_014.jpg

Trumpeter (top) and Italeri tailbooms - Italeri is too long.

su-34_012.jpg

More later

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
Spelling

One thing that neither kit incudes are the blind-flying curtains inside the cockpit - they are very prominent, whether deployed....

su-34_015.jpg

.... or folded up.....

su-34_016.jpg

Thats it so far - the Trumpeter kit is much more comprehensive - with a load of weaponry included and has a very detailed cockpit and nosewheel bay.

It also represents the latest configuration - with strakes on the LERX, fences on the upper outer wings and that tailboom APU - plus the latest cockpit instrument panel.

It also has some nice touches - like the access ladder attached to the nose leg and the retracted or deployed Platan targetting pod, wingtip ESM pods, twin launch rails etc.

But that nosecone is a let down - although no doubt there will be a resin correction set along shortly?   :pray:

The Italeri kit needs some work to bring it up to the latest standards - it can be done - see here :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_su-34.html

You pays yer money........

Ken

Thanks much, Ken. I always look forward to your posts ... and especially your  threads. 

Considering the Photobucket fiasco, I will start saving your valuable threads - like i should have all along!!

Gene K

1 minute ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Thanks Ken. For those of us in 1/48th, is the wingspan error a carry over from the larger Su-34 kit?

Considering HB/Trumps approach of hitting the scale button without doing any more work than that - i would bet the fault is found in 48 too... How hard is it to get wingspan correct, jeez.

Thanks for the comparison Ken.

Mizar.... your wish is....

Trumpeter......

su-34_018.jpg

Italeri.... (the wings are separate - I've had to tape them on)...

su-34_019.jpg

.... and together...

su-34_020.jpg

The shapes are remarkably similar - canard shoulders, LERX (minus strake), width across engines etc are the same.

The Su-34 canopy ALMOST fits the Trumpeter kit - it is slightly wider at the rear lower edge - but not by much.

Forget what I said about the Trumpeter span, I got it wrong - they are both the same at 206mm (should be 204mm to be exact).

Ken

Thanks Ken,guess I'm going to order one after I stop on purchasing back whatever I've sold 6 years ago ^^

Then one more as I've found another catchy scheme that goes well with Belka markings

Luigi

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

Forget what I said about the Trumpeter span, I got it wrong

4 hours ago, Berkut said:

How hard is it to get wingspan correct, jeez.

Pretty hard, apparently.

I bought one of these from Squadron 2 weeks ago for $39.40 when they were on sale.  I could not pass that price up and although I am about to start the 1/48 HB version, I would jump on this kit in a NY minute if I strictly did 1/72.  I wish they gave the later APU intake option in the 1/48th kit, at least the cutout would be there for PE when it arrives.  Even Eduard missed this on their latest release.  An early multi-blue Hell Duck should be easy to do without the APU in the tail boom.  The 1/48 Two Bobs Su-34 sheet provide the APU intake & exhaust as decals, hopefully some PE for this will be released soon.  The 1/72 kit is miles ahead of Italeri, if it goes on sale again jump on it.

TA14-130-35

fOzqEbe.jpg?1

This is the APU that is supposedly fitted.

John

Edited by Raptor01
new info

Thanks for the review, Ken.  I had been waiting for one.

Shame that one of my favorite birds still doesn't  get the love it desires although it apparently is a much better kit than the old Italeri attempt. 

You praised  some some details on the kit but how about surface details? Or the genuine accuracy of the "well detailed" cockpit etc. since I've noticed Trumpeter has a strong history in pseudo detailing where they put a lot of work detailing the gear wells, cockpits and bomb bays with completely fictitious glazing which looks good when you open the box. But really isn't that.

Janman.... I'll get back to you re the detailing....

In the meantime - the canopy.....

Trumpeter (left) - Italeri (right)...

su-34_021.jpg

Trumpeter....

su-34_022.jpg

Italeri...

su-34_023.jpg

Trumpeter....

su-34_024.jpg

Italeri...

su-34_025.jpg

The real thing (as best I can).....

su-34_026.jpg

su-34_029.jpg

su-34_027.jpg

su-34_028.jpg

The decision is yours....

Th.. th... that's all folks........

I'm 'off air' for a couple of days - going to the Airshow at Fairford.

Ken

10 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Well, that trigger is always ready. No mercy. 

The trigger to stalk my every comment and never actually contribute to a thread, apparently.

I have to say the Italeri windshield overall shape is more correct. When viewed from the top the windshield has a clear V shape, which Italeri does. Trumpeters shape is however far more rectangular overall. A rough demonstration;

ekab7Ki.jpg

vs

jglyjp8.jpg

As to the leading edge of the windshield it seems to be something in between Italeri and Trumpeter. Not as rounded as Trumpeter and not as straight as Italeri;

XIZpmSQ.jpg

lurWjCc.jpg

From the photos my observation is that neither kit got the windshield right. Italeri's windows have 90 deg corners whereas Trumpeter got the correct round corners. I also think Trumpy's  shape of the windshield is actually more similar to the real thing in the sense that from the front view you can see it actually have that bulb curve to it at the base, and not quite a straight line. The frame of the back windshield panel appears to extend to the spine of the aircraft which seems to be missing from Italeri,

Neither kit seems to get the front end right.

Just my 2 cents

So Flankerman, if I was to "update" my Italeri kit with corrected Tailfins what kit would you suggest I use for it?

Thanks,

P.S.  I'm using the Neomega Cockpit set for it too,  I just can't justify spending $100 for the newer Trumpeter Kit when I have the Italeri kit all this time in the to-do pile!

Edited by Rocketdrvr
On 7/11/2017 at 4:17 PM, Berkut said:

The trigger to stalk my every comment and never actually contribute to a thread, apparently.

I have to say the Italeri windshield overall shape is more correct. When viewed from the top the windshield has a clear V shape, which Italeri does. Trumpeters shape is however far more rectangular overall. A rough demonstration;

jglyjp8.jpg

It would be great to have a photo taken from the front to see how noticeable the wider canopy front is compared to the front fuselage width.

On 21/07/2017 at 2:45 AM, Rocketdrvr said:

So Flankerman, if I was to "update" my Italeri kit with corrected Tailfins what kit would you suggest I use for it?

The production Su-34 reverted to 'standard' Su-27 fins - so any single-seat Su-27 should do - the cheapest you can find.

Or.... any resin replacement fins for a single seater - if there are any ???

I can't remember what I use on my conversion - probably Airfix.

Ken

On 7/11/2017 at 4:37 AM, Flankerman said:

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, those aren't exactly "blind flying" curtains. They're nuke blast screens to protect the crew's eyesight when nukes are going off all around. We had something similar on our F-111s back in the day...

su-34_027.jpg

su-34_028.jpg