Kitty Hawk 1/48th scale UH-1D Finished

On 2017-07-15 at 7:29 AM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I agree with Bo. The overhead console is near invisible inside there.  We are working on it because I want to have it in there, but really did any of you notice I didn't have relief on mine?  The seats are something I'm debating on.  No promises.  I may just do the sliding portions and the side armor for the pilot.

Floyd

Is there an option for no armour plates?

I want to do a Canadian SAR version, we didn't have the armour kit installed on those airframes.  

It was a pain pain installing and removing the armour kits on our Griffon's and Huey's.

On 7/15/2017 at 0:53 PM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

ALQ-144 doubtful, very doubtful.  IPS definitely.  One of the first things on the list.

Here is a current list of things that I am planning on doing.

1- Toilet Bowl Exhaust with engine and oil cooler heat shields

2- APR-39 mounts

3- IPS

4- WSPS lower cutter 

5- Missing airflow strake

6- Overhead panel

7- First Aid kits

8- Larger 20mm Ammo boxes for door guns

9- ARC-102 HF antenna and mounts.  (Already done)

Some of these items may be packaged together as a 'update' set.  I could see doing the airflow strake, overhead panel and first aid kits as a single release.  Then an 80s upgrade set including the IPS, APR-39 and WSPS cutter.

Things I'd like to do but need a CAD guy to draw them for me are a hoist, actually hoists, one from Vietnam and the later one.  These would need a jungle penetrator as well.  This would open up Medevac Hueys and maybe some Air Force ones as well.  Some stretchers and other medical items would be welcomed as well.

The maybe list

1- New rear bulkheads with the mounts and additional detail.  

2- Rear bulkheads without padding

3- New Roof panel with cutouts for ICS boxes, lights and vents

4- If I can find a way to do the ammo chutes maybe I will have a go at them.

I can't think of anything else right now.  There are the NVG lights but those are easy modeled by the modeler and too hard to make and mold.

I might do a larger ammo catcher bag but after seeing it built I'm not sure we need one.  

Did I forget anything off the top of my head?

Floyd

Maybe the Loop antenna for the roof as well. 

On 7/16/2017 at 7:02 PM, Scooby said:

I want to do a Canadian SAR version, we didn't have the armour kit installed on those airframes.  

It was a pain pain installing and removing the armour kits on our Griffon's and Huey's.

The extra weight of armor seats, like extra ammo, is NOT ur friend when ur hovering at or near Max gross weight!!

Don't recall, but look at ESCI and Italeri kits.  Think those seats may fit ur need??

Bo

Edited by jabow
On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:02 AM, Scooby said:

uh-1d_huey_gunship_25_of_80-600x398.jpg

uh-1d_huey_gunship_78_of_80-301x450.jpg

These are the non armoured seats used on the Aussie Hueys.  Looks like the kit seats could be wrangled into something similar with some scratch work.  The support frame structure looks lose enough as a start. 

Absolutely stunning work, Floyd! That finish is so perfectly weathered, I really, really like it. Bravo.

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, Scooby said:

How about marijuana leaves from the fields they landed in? We used to do drug interdiction in Canada (BC) and our helo's use to come back full of the leaves in every nook and cranny.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:17 AM, jabow said:

LOL!! A 'joint' are two wouldn't be unrealistic for Vietnam, either.

I remember an RNZAF -1H dropped in to the airport where I worked in 2009 or so after one of those missions to hand over the green stuff to the Police, fuel up and go home. Once the truck and Huey had left, my fellow apprentice engineer ran out in the hope of finding some stray leaves on the ground! :cop: