1/48 Italeri A-10C questions

Folks,

I'm looking to build a current model A-10C after seeing some pretty cool images of the jets operating over Iraq. Some images:

here

here

I'm aware the cockpit of the Italeri kit is wrong, but hopefully the Eduard etch set should cover this, and i'm well covered for ordnance - GBU-12/31/38. But does the kit come with the updated antennae suite? Also, are the targeting pods carried solely LITENING or are SNIPER carried too? I'd planned to use the kit decals also.

If no one has any experience of the kit, could you tell me what exterior modifications were made to the C model?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Edited by Dave1089
9 hours ago, Dave1089 said:

Folks,

I'm looking to build a current model A-10C after seeing some pretty cool images of the jets operating over Iraq. Some images:

here

here

I'm aware the cockpit of the Italeri kit is wrong, but hopefully the Eduard etch set should cover this, and i'm well covered for ordnance - GBU-12/31/38. But does the kit come with the updated antennae suite? Also, are the targeting pods carried solely LITENING or are SNIPER carried too? I'd planned to use the kit decals also.

If no one has any experience of the kit, could you tell me what exterior modifications were made to the C model?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

That second pic is truly BA!  Thanks for posting.  

5 hours ago, thegoodsgt said:

I Googled:

Italeri 1/48 A-10C

And found this review, which mentions the antenna in the kit.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/it/kit_it_2725.shtml

Thanks mate. Saw that too, just wasn't sure if it covered all the additional bits for the current A-10C.

1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

That second pic is truly BA!  Thanks for posting.  

:thumbsup:

On 7/14/2017 at 10:27 AM, Dave1089 said:

Folks,

here

here

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Great Questions Dave, I'll be watching to see some of the Warthog fans chime in for this or provide links. This is a project I am also interested in.

I recently built this kit and added the Shull24 A-10 upgrade kit. The kit overall went together with little fuss, although attention/extra sanding will be needed around the assembly of the engine cowlings. Don't forget to add some nose weight as it will definitely be a tailsitter-if I remember correctly, I added about 4 fishing leads. The kit itself comes with some A-10C suite parts i.e., gps dome, SATCom antenna, but as you have mentioned, the cockpit is not a 'C.' In the end I just convinced myself it would be a A-10A+ I guess- not fully upgraded.

20170402_003342_1491107732982.jpeg

Edited by B-ONE27
5 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Great Questions Dave, I'll be watching to see some of the Warthog fans chime in for this or provide links. This is a project I am also interested in.

I'll keep you posted mate! If the kit comes with the GPS and satcom, i think all that needs added are RWRs on the wing tips and tail boom.

1 hour ago, B-ONE27 said:

I recently built this kit and added the Shull24 A-10 upgrade kit. The kit overall went together with little fuss, although attention/extra sanding will be needed around the assembly of the engine cowlings. Don't forget to add some nose weight as it will definitely be a tailsitter-if I remember correctly, I added about 4 fishing leads. The kit itself comes with some A-10C suite parts i.e., gps dome, SATCom antenna, but as you have mentioned, the cockpit is not a 'C.' In the end I just convinced myself it would be a A-10A+ I guess- not fully upgraded.

Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping the Eduard etch will suffice for the cockpit.

I've got one of the earlier A-10A kits about three quarters done. While I am not doing it as a C model, Eduard's cockpit etch is practically a requirement and looks great. The other requirement for this kit is resin intakes because the kit ones with their fan detail are so bad. In my case, I chose the Quickboost QB48-173 fans and they worked perfectly.

Fit of the kit is pretty decent, which says a lot given some of the complicated assemblies, especially around the nose which can be even trickier when you smash some nose weight in there. Probably the trickiest areas to assemble are the engine exhausts with trying to keep from sanding details off, yet taking care of the seams in there. Plus you have to try and make sure the exhaust cones (with a left and right split) line up properly while the top and bottom split cowls assemble over them and the separately molded engine access doors come around. But I was able to get things to work. The engine access panels at least fit together well enough when you are building them closed, but they are set up to fit aftermarket resin engines in them. Keep this in mind when adding nose weight as resin engines can make the model even MORE of a tail sitter than it already is if you plan to have open engine bays.

One other area that needs some minor tweaking is the upper nose on either side of the windscreen. As I recall the A-10 has a bit of a curve to the upper nose, followed by some 45 degree flat(ish) panels on the side as the profile transitions to the sides of the nose. Italeri molded this as more of a rounded ridge rather than a flat area. So it will take a little bit of re-profiling and sanding to get it to look right. It is not a difficult fix, although admittedly I have yet to tackle that area on my model.

As for my model, when done it is going to be a bird from Terminator Salvation with repair/patchwork panels from different jets (giving it something of an X-Wing from Star Wars look). I have an art book that shows some interesting contrast work intended for the planes. Ultimately the paint work wasn't really done in the movie given the planes used for the flying scenes were active duty military jets and the USAF probably didn't want to make more work for themselves, but I still want to see if I can pull one off.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:27 AM, Dave1089 said:

could you tell me what exterior modifications were made to the C model?

Greetings Dave,

Let's see how good my memory is.

External differences between an A-10A and, the C are as follows,

1. The underside of the canopy has a new HMIT system's sensor and runs right along the strip that is on the canopy to dissipate static electricity.

2. There are sensors, the AN/AAR-47 missile defense system, on the forward part of each wingtip and also on the tail cone.

3. The cutouts on the bottom of the weapons racks were made slightly longer and slightly wider to accept larger cables that go with the JDAM bombs.

Again, going from memory and not having touched an A-10 since 2010, I'm sure I missed some things but, those are the MAJOR external differences I believe. I hope I was of some help to you, good luck with your project.

Steve

1 hour ago, Jay Chladek said:

One other area that needs some minor tweaking is the upper nose on either side of the windscreen. As I recall the A-10 has a bit of a curve to the upper nose, followed by some 45 degree flat(ish) panels on the side as the profile transitions to the sides of the nose. Italeri molded this as more of a rounded ridge rather than a flat area. 

Maybe this photo will help, the panel lines show the curvature.  Also note the RHAW antennas on the nose and the LED lights on the nose gear. 

YVWwla7.jpg

Edited by habu2

My bad, forget to mention the kit does come with the RHAW equipment for the nose and wingtip and tailcone. You will have to sand/ saw off the under nose square like blister near the gun. As you can see in Habu2s pic of the jet above..it's no longer on 'C' models.

Edited by B-ONE27
10 hours ago, habu2 said:

Maybe this photo will help, the panel lines show the curvature.  Also note the RHAW antennas on the nose and the LED lights on the nose gear. 

YVWwla7.jpg

That indeed illustrates it rather nice. So the top of the nose around the probe door is flat, then the two 45 degree panels on either side (with an ever so slight curve on them), followed by the sides of the nose. In Flight Refueling pictures of an A-10 from the boom operator's station can also help to illustrate the transitions from above as well.

17 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Greetings Dave,

Let's see how good my memory is.

External differences between an A-10A and, the C are as follows,

1. The underside of the canopy has a new HMIT system's sensor and runs right along the strip that is on the canopy to dissipate static electricity.

2. There are sensors, the AN/AAR-47 missile defense system, on the forward part of each wingtip and also on the tail cone.

3. The cutouts on the bottom of the weapons racks were made slightly longer and slightly wider to accept larger cables that go with the JDAM bombs.

Again, going from memory and not having touched an A-10 since 2010, I'm sure I missed some things but, those are the MAJOR external differences I believe. I hope I was of some help to you, good luck with your project.

Steve

Thanks Steve, very helpful! Don't suppose you have any pictures of the wingtip and tail cone sensors?

16 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

It sure would be nice if Trumpeter/Hobby Boss would come out with a 1/48 A-10C boxing.  I am actually quite surprised they never did.  

Even an aftermarket update would be nice, the Shull one is long OOP.

I agree, i'm surprised there hasn't been a C model boxing. But then again, i'm still surprised no one has released a SU-30MKI!

16 hours ago, habu2 said:

YVWwla7.jpg

Great picture, thanks for sharing.

12 hours ago, B-ONE27 said:

My bad, forget to mention the kit does come with the RHAW equipment for the nose and wingtip and tailcone. You will have to sand/ saw off the under nose square like blister near the gun. As you can see in Habu2s pic of the jet above..it's no longer on 'C' models.

Thanks for the tip!

On 7/17/2017 at 10:42 AM, Dave1089 said:

Thanks Steve, very helpful! Don't suppose you have any pictures of the wingtip and tail cone sensors?

You need to get Jake Melampy's  book called " The Modern Hog Guide, 2nd Edition." It's the perfect reference material for what your after.

I would post pics from his book on here but, I don't know if Jake would appreciate that.

Steve

3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

When it comes to modeling kits, the Warthog just doesn't get any respect.

Boy, you ain't lying there! I think thats one of the reason I have yet to model "my" A-10!! I am so familiar with the jet, every kits flaws stand out to me...

Plus I've been goingthrough a russian phase lately...:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Falcon053 said:

So does the kit have the wingtip and tail sensors? I've been trying to look at posts of the kit online and I can't tell.

Doubtful due to the draft angles on the parts, UNLESS Italeri rendered them on a separate sprue tree to glue onto the core parts.