1/48 A-3 Skywarrior Engines

The Trumpeter kit is impressive, but could benefit from a little aftermarket TLC, especially as regards the engine pods and their pylons.

D-Mold and Hypersonic offer resin alternatives, both of which look really nice from the pictures I've seen. It's more than likely a case of "you can't go wrong either way." 

Nonetheless, can anyone here offer some first hand appraisals?

Rich

http://dmold-modelworks.com/contents/en-us/p62.html

http://www.hypersonicmodels.co.uk/product/a-3-skywarrior-engines

I have the Hypersonic engines (and a bunch of other Hypersonic parts) and a lot of DMold stuff (not for the A-3). I can't say anything as regards to fit or accuracy, but I can say this: the standard and quality of the Hypersonic products are several leagues above DMold. Everything I've had from Hypersonic is flawless, whereas I've got DMold parts with bits of crap in them, visible seam lines from the master, lots of flash and indistinct surface detail.

Jon

I have the Hypersonic nacelles and they are beautiful. Can't comment on the Dmold ones however they look ok in the photo on the website. I do have the Dmold bomber nose correction set and it is pretty good. I have already installed it on my A-3 and it so far fits well. I'm waiting for the Hypersonic main gear wheel wells that Jeffrey, I hope, is working on before building any further on it so come on Jeffrey!.  

Gents,

Thanks a bunch for the helpful replies...very much appreciated. And the information regarding the other correction sets will be very useful going forward. Based on your positive feedback and the fact that the competition’s set is currently out of stock, I've placed an order with Hypersonic for the engines.

I'm holding off on the canopy and nose parts replacements, at least for now, pending further review. My sense is that these items are "less off the mark" (compared to the engines and pylons) and might be correctable without the added aftermarket investment. 

D.R., my plan is to build a KA-3B from VAQ-308 (later VAK-308), a reserve unit based at NAS Alameda during the 1970s and 80s. http://combatace.com/uploads/monthly_02_2012/post-30410-0-20094200-1330105733.jpg

Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I would see these aircraft, as well as those from sister unit VAK-208, quite regularly, be it at air shows or, on some occasions, screaming overhead nearby Jack London Square in Oakland. They were extremely loud, as I can clearly recall all these years later!

Thanks again fellas for your time and consideration.

Rich

Edited by RichB63

If you've got the KA-3B kit, then you might want to replace the drogue/basket refueling pod underneath. The kit parts are oversized, and there's no provision for the basket to be stowed. The kit only allows for the extended position. I've got a replacement pod in my line. I've also got some seats.

IFR pod

seats

13 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

how off is the kit bomber nose?

Dimitri of Dmold says the nose and forward fuselage from behind the canopy to the nose is too full. The Dmold parts replace the forward fuselage and they include a new resin canopy that corrects some of the issues with the kit's canopy. Is the set absolutely correct? All I can say it looks to improve the front fuselage when I compare it to photos in the Ginter books. I'll add this comment. The history of Trumpeter getting things correct, especially canopies, and shapes v Dimitri and his history with Collect Aire mastering their better kits and the accuracy of his other correction sets, I'll side with Dimitri. It is very obvious and well documented the Trumpeter A-3 has issues that range from the engine nacelles, the wings, the canopy, the main gear well location and arrangement and possibly the nose shape.  

6 hours ago, RichB63 said:

Thanks Darren.

I plan to attend the IPMS US Nationals next week...with wallet in hand!

I'll be sure to stop by your booth.

Cheers

I'll be looking forward to chatting with you! See you next week.

Hi,

Rich,

My recommendation is that if you invest in the resin engines and pylons, get a replacement canopy as well.

For your KA-3B, you'll need a "Version" canopy, which Hypersonic has yet to produce. I hope it will be done eventually.

I love what Hypersonic has done for the "Bomber" canopy.

Cheers, Stefan.

jpk...

Thanks for the appraisal of the Skywarrior nose/canopy. It's clear to me too that Dimitri of DMold has a keen eye for shapes and dimensions. His corrections sets, whether intended for the Thud, Skyray, Tracker, Canberra or anything else, tend to improve the look of, even if subtlety, the kits for which they're designed. And the Skywarrior should prove no exception. 

Stefan...

Thank you also for the canopy recommendation. I'm tempted by the Hypersonic offering. It looks great!

And I just might be in luck here. I'm by no means certain, but I think that the particular BuNo I'm looking to model carried the "late bomber" canopy. 147666 began life as an A-3B before being converted, as an adolescent, into a tanker.

Here's a picture of her on display at the Oakland Aerospace Museum...https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7909809

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by RichB63
21 hours ago, RichB63 said:

jpk...

Thanks for the appraisal of the Skywarrior nose/canopy. It's clear to me too that Dimitri of DMold has a keen eye for shapes and dimensions. His corrections sets, whether intended for the Thud, Skyray, Tracker, Canberra or anything else, tend to improve the look of, even if subtlety, the kits for which they're designed. And the Skywarrior should prove no exception. 

Stefan...

Thank you also for the canopy recommendation. I'm tempted by the Hypersonic offering. It looks great!

And I just might be in luck here. I'm by no means certain, but I think that the particular BuNo I'm looking to model carried the "late bomber" canopy. 147666 began life as an A-3B before being converted, as an adolescent, into a tanker.

Here's a picture of her on display at the Oakland Aerospace Museum...https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7909809

Cheers,

Rich

Rich, I've got a ton of detail photos of that KA-3B, to include inside the bomb bay. PM me if interested.

Hi Dave,

I don't have any prior experience with 'em, but my current order (for the Skywarrior engines) was processed and dispatched within a matter of hours.

I do recall a recent posting on the Hypersonic Facebook page describing their small batch production philosophy, which, at times, could lead to inventory shortages. 

Sounds like my timing was fortunate!

Last time they announced on their Facebook page the A-3 engines were back in stock, I jumped on it.  I got my order within 2 weeks.  He said on the Facebook page he would be closed for a period of time then open the shop back up in August.  It seems to be all about timing, but the engine set does look fantastic.

Thank you for the kind words - the first half of this year has been a bit challenging do to outside factors and a lot less time available and I'm also not in the country right now. As soon as I get back home next week I'll start casting for more engine and canopy sets. I do pretty much everything myself from the initial design to taking the packed the product to the post office and there is a limit to what I can achieve (I still have a main job as well). Multi-part sets like the A-3 engines do take their time to cast.

Cheers

Jeffrey

8 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Thank you for the kind words - the first half of this year has been a bit challenging do to outside factors and a lot less time available and I'm also not in the country right now. As soon as I get back home next week I'll start casting for more engine and canopy sets. I do pretty much everything myself from the initial design to taking the packed the product to the post office and there is a limit to what I can achieve (I still have a main job as well). Multi-part sets like the A-3 engines do take their time to cast.

Cheers

Jeffrey

I know exactly how you feel! 

I received my Hypersonic Models A-3 Skywarrior Engines set last week, exactly 7 days after placing my order -- fast service in my opinion, considering the distance involved -- London to Phoenix in this case (over 5000 miles, across an ocean and most of a continent).

I chose the "unregistered international air mail" option which brought the total cost, all up, to 41.00 USD. Considering the retail price of the Trumpeter kit is approximately $100.00 USD, it's a hefty investment for an aftermarket product.

But I'm glad I made it. As others have pointed out, the set is exquisite. I'm convinced now that it will make a big difference, both in terms of accuracy and detail, to what is, in my estimation, the weakest link in the Trumpeter A-3 series: its engine pods and pylons. 

Once I get set up with a new image hosting site (good riddance photobucket), I'll post some pictures, for comparison's sake, to illustrate just how enhanced a product Jeffrey has bestowed upon us. 

So, for all you whale aficionados (and "watchers" too)...buy with confidence!

Thanks once again to everyone for their help and advice...much appreciated.

Rich

ps.  Darren, I did not manage to make it out to NE last week unfortunately. But I'll be browsing the SB website for your Skywarrior accessories nonetheless. It's an impressive product line to be sure!

Edited by RichB63