Vlado Lenoch killed in P-51 crash

Long time air show pilot Vlado Lenoch and passenger Bethany Root were killed about 10:45 Sunday morning July 16 in the crash of a P-51 Mustang "Baby Duck" near Atchison, Kansas. 

Darwin

Sad indeed. I believe the passenger was in her early 30's...far too young...

Thoughts and prayers to both families.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:35 PM, Don said:

Sad indeed. I believe the passenger was in her early 30's...far too young...

Thoughts and prayers to both families.

Knowing nothing of the incident I looked it up and found,

Bethany Root was noted for her love of aviation that extended well beyond her role as an airport manager at the Amelia Earhart Airport where Sunday’s flight originated.

https://theaviationist.com/2017/07/17/popular-u-s-airshow-pilot-vlado-lenoch-killed-in-p-51-crash-with-passenger/

Root, according to a 2014 profile in the St. Joseph News-Press, followed a love of flying to the St. Joseph area three years ago at the age of 31. She worked for the airport’s management company, McElwain Sprayers of Wathena, Kan.

She had been a special education teacher and ran a custom motorcycle shop in Indianapolis until she took an opportunity to learn to fly and work with the McElwain crop dusters in Kansas and Missouri, the feature said.

“She was extremely passionate about flying,” Jacque Pregont, who coordinated the Emelia Earhart Festival, said Sunday. And the festival was “excited to have (Lenoch) at the airshow.”

“It’s a horrible, horrible loss,” Pregont said.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article161674868.html

Monday afternoon, July 10, I chatted by telephone with Maplewood High School graduate Bethany Root, 34, about her life in aviation in Atchison, Kan.

The excitement in Bethany’s voice evidenced her love for her careers — crop duster, airport operator and museum manager. The former teacher’s passion as an educator to share the joy of flying with all comers also was clear.

Bethany often told people that her airplane was the best office in the world.

My story about Bethany’s life and career was scheduled to be printed in this morning’s newspaper. We considered not doing so.

Instead, in tribute, we publish the profile — written before Bethany’s death — as it was meant to run, full of life, hope and the encouragement to chase your dreams and fly.

... an aerial application pilot — otherwise known as a crop duster.

The athletic blonde woman with the big smile is, by some accounts, one of only three women in the trade in the United States.

“I think I might be the only one right now. There are a couple who are in and out,” she said. But, “I am the only one who is a business owner.

“I’m a very current example of breaking barriers,” she said. “You just don’t know what you can do until you try.”

http://www.tribtoday.com/news/local-news/2017/07/tribute-from-prom-princess-to-crop-duster/

Edited by southwestforests