Yet another 1/48 Tamiya F-14A

22 hours ago, GW8345 said:

I never understood why instructions say to paint the radomes grey, I've never seen a photo (or one in person) that shows them that color.

Your missiles look great, just one more small detail you can do, the back end (exhaust plug) of the Sparrows will be the same brown color that you have on the Phoenix exhaust. For Sidewinders, a dark tan (model masters radome tan FS 33613 or dark tan FS 30219 is perfect) would be the color of the exhaust plug on the back for live missiles.

Again, great work on your Tomcat, reminds me of the real thing.:thumbsup:

(I did two deployments with CVW-8 and remember VF-84 had a bird painted up like the one you are doing).

GW

Great first hand info GW!

Funny thing is, I looked but couldn't find references. Which was why I settled with the default white.

I'll definitely be detailing those plugs as per your recommendations.

Would you happen to have any pictures?

Thanks again! 

5 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

Great first hand info GW!

Funny thing is, I looked but couldn't find references. Which was why I settled with the default white.

I'll definitely be detailing those plugs as per your recommendations.

Would you happen to have any pictures?

Thanks again! 

Sorry,

I don't have any personal pictures but I did find several that show the exhaust plus/area for the Sidewinder and Sparrow, the missiles you are doing will be the same.

AIM-9 Sidewinder

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/air-force-technician-checks-an-aim-7m-sparrow-missile-news-photo/159902907?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect#/air-force-technician-checks-an-aim7m-sparrow-missile-during-an-at-picture-id159902907

Older Sidewinders had a slightly darker color exhaust plug but if you want to use the color below it will work also.

med_gallery_25_86_401685.jpg

AIM-7 Sparrow

Use the top photo and top right photo, that is an AIM-7E-2, the Sparrows you are doing.

AIM7+detail.jpg

Note the radomes appear to be grey, that is just a photo illusion, in real life they were a very dirty white.

AIM-7E-2 Sparrow detail

f14-detail-aim07-03l.jpg

GW

Edited by GW8345
6 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

Isn't it amazing how much expertise is on ARC?

Fantastic, helpful people here.

Capt. Obvious,

Sure is. 

Back in the old days of modeling (the 70s), none of this information was available unless you owned dozens and dozens of books, magazines, or had 1st hand experience. We use to just build basically what was in the box, and accepted it as gospel. It had it good points, and in reflection has its bad points as well.  I think that today we build not so much a model, but more of a replica in miniature.

Joel

Looking great. Can you list the (top) three annoying or tedious part of this kit OOB build-wise? Maybe something you would do differently, again construction wise? I am yet to read a single issue with this kit, having a hard time believing that to be the case...

Captain and to all the Tomcat experts reading this: The radome on this kit looks too pointed to me. IMO a more bulbous look especially towards the tip would look better. Does anyone else see this? Not bashing the kit or looking to start a red-line war here. Just figuring out how (un)trustworthy my observation is. 

Does the 1/48 Hasegawa Tomcat nose tip look fine also? I ask this because I see a difference between the Tamiya and Hasegawa tips, but no evidence to support it. It is just the look of the Tamiya 1/48. Looks drawn out and thin at the tip. Hasegawa's always looked fine to me. Interestingly, Tamiya 1/32 also looks fine. 

1 hour ago, Janissary said:

Looking great. Can you list the (top) three annoying or tedious part of this kit OOB build-wise? Maybe something you would do differently, again construction wise? I am yet to read a single issue with this kit, having a hard time believing that to be the case...

Captain and to all the Tomcat experts reading this: The radome on this kit looks too pointed to me. IMO a more bulbous look especially towards the tip would look better. Does anyone else see this? Not bashing the kit or looking to start a red-line war here. Just figuring out how (un)trustworthy my observation is. 

I too have noticed this and mentioned it before.  It is not egregious, by any means.  But I have noticed the nose on the Tamiya kit looks slightly too pointy, compared to the Hasegawa nose, which looks more "correct" to my eye.  The difference is small enough that I wouldn't notice it on any other aircraft, but since the Tomcat is my favorite I am more apt to notice the difference.

Anyway, all in all the difference is so slight that it wouldn't keep me from buying or building the kit.  In fact I have already bought three and built one.  It;s easily the best engineered and fitting kit I have ever built (or seen).  But in the same breath, I also will not be chucking any of my Hasegawa Tomcats either.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, Paddington said:

Very clean built ! Like it !

Thanks Paddington!

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:54 AM, Falconxlvi said:

Right click...save, right click...save!  Great reference pictures- thanks for sharing!   And Capt, your build is simply sublime and inspiring.  Very, very well done!

Steve

Thank you very much Steve!

1 hour ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Wow, that is fantastic work Cap!  And of course I wholeheartedly approve of your choice in markings.  ;-)

Looking forward to seeing this one cross the finish line!!!

Thanks Michael! The bones are my favourite. I have a low vis jolly roger F-18 in the stash waiting.

Weathering is the weakest part of my process. I will look at lots of pictures and tread carefully.

So finishing might take a while ;-)

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:07 AM, GW8345 said:

Sorry,

I don't have any personal pictures but I did find several that show the exhaust plus/area for the Sidewinder and Sparrow, the missiles you are doing will be the same.

GW

Thank you for taking the time to round up those pictures GW. Much obliged :)

19 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

The plugs,  in the exhausts of LIVE AIM-9's are balsa wood, at least that's were ours were in the USAF.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY!"

Balsa! Who would've thunked?

3 hours ago, Janissary said:

Hey Janissary!

First off, I want to emphasise that this kit is a pleasure to build. More so than any other kit I have built so far. The surface detail is just right and the fit is great.

That said, I will oblige and list some MINOR issues.

1. The windshield is molded together with part of the forward fuselage. This is nice as it removes the risk of glue marring the windshield. However, some effort is required to blend in the piece to the fuselage. As it stands, it sits a little proud.

2. There are some faint seams from multi part molds that need to be removed along the aft fuselage. I didn't notice them until after initial paint.

3. The afterburner section (part K3) is molded with one end closed off. This makes it a little difficult to paint. I opened it up.

4. I wish the exterior part the engine (parts K8 & K9, near the elevators) were molded separately from the aft fuselage. It makes it a little fussy to paint and mask.

Finally, I do see that there is a slight difference between the Hasegawa and the Tamiya nose. I'm no expert but they both look okay me.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for stopping by!

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:36 AM, Joel_W said:

Capt. Obvious,

Sure is. 

Back in the old days of modeling (the 70s), none of this information was available unless you owned dozens and dozens of books, magazines, or had 1st hand experience. We use to just build basically what was in the box, and accepted it as gospel. It had it good points, and in reflection has its bad points as well.  I think that today we build not so much a model, but more of a replica in miniature.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Good and bad for sure.

In the old days, ignorance was bliss and everything got built much quicker. To my mind's eye, those models were great as I had nothing to compare them to. Modelling back then was less stressful.

These days, with so much access to information and pics, I tend to fuss about getting things right. Building pace slows right down and I would dare admit that sometimes the stress does too.

Can't say that I would go back to the old days though. Learning from the community can't be beat and talking to like minded people from around the world is amazing!

• CaptainObvious changed the title to Yet another 1/48 Tamiya F-14A (updated 21 Feb)

Hey all,

Thanks to GW's info, I punched up some vinyl discs, painted and stuck them onto the end of the missiles.

NpQKxQj.jpg

Moving onto the aft end,

the exhaust interiors were painted off white and weathered with the Tamiya weathering pastels.

The turbine and afterburner rings were painted MM Burnt Iron.

zfrf3SR.jpg

I left them shiny so you could see them a little down the tube.

FIKoG1n.jpg

I had difficulty deciding on the colors to paint the nozzles.
Looking at photos, they all seem to weather differently resulting in a whole gamut and combination of colors.

Anyway, this is the result.

Nozzle colors from top end to bottom were painted:

MM exhaust, MM titanium, Mr Hobby Super Stainless and Mr Hobby Super Iron.
These were weathered with Tamiya smoke and their weathering pastels.

Finally I used a flat coat to knock down the sheen.

yi7HKOD.jpg

Installed.

dGOnFSn.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Capt. Obvious,

Between you and Crackerjazz I may never have the nerve to build another jet as props are more of my comfort zone. 

The detailed exhaust rings on the missiles really makes a huge difference. And those exhaust cans, OMG!! they look spectacular. Just enough metallic shades to fool one's eye, and the inside of the cans really have that burn exhaust look to them.

Joel

18 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Capt. Obvious,

Between you and Crackerjazz I may never have the nerve to build another jet as props are more of my comfort zone. 

The detailed exhaust rings on the missiles really makes a huge difference. And those exhaust cans, OMG!! they look spectacular. Just enough metallic shades to fool one's eye, and the inside of the cans really have that burn exhaust look to them.

Joel

Hi Joel,

You are too kind. CJ is on a whole other level. I just build OOB.

I have seen your jets and they are nice!

This Tamiya kit is a pleasure. Do give it a go when the mood strikes you. Highly recommended.

Exhaust cans are not really my thing and I usually just paint them the solid colors as per the instructions.

This is only the second time that I have attempted some form of weathering.

I did everything twice cos invariably the first attempt didn't match my expectations. 

I'm happy with how they turned out though. Perhaps next time, I won't be so afraid to tackle them. :) 

On 2/11/2018 at 9:56 AM, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

I too have noticed this and mentioned it before.  It is not egregious, by any means.  But I have noticed the nose on the Tamiya kit looks slightly too pointy, compared to the Hasegawa nose, which looks more "correct" to my eye.  The difference is small enough that I wouldn't notice it on any other aircraft, but since the Tomcat is my favorite I am more apt to notice the difference.

Anyway, all in all the difference is so slight that it wouldn't keep me from buying or building the kit.  In fact I have already bought three and built one.  It;s easily the best engineered and fitting kit I have ever built (or seen).  But in the same breath, I also will not be chucking any of my Hasegawa Tomcats either.

Not to hickjack this wonderful build thread, but to let you know the Tamiya designers had access to the original documents from Northrup Grumman.  In 2015 some of these designers traveled through out the United States to confirm and measure F-14's at various museums.  The Tamiya 48th F-14 is the most definitive model of Tomcat in any scale.

My apologies to CaptainObvious for taking note in this beautiful build thread and thank you for sharing your experience!

Edited by gtypecanare
18 hours ago, gtypecanare said:

Not to hickjack this wonderful build thread, but to let you know the Tamiya designers had access to the original documents from Northrup Grumman.  In 2015 some of these designers traveled through out the United States to confirm and measure F-14's at various museums.  The Tamiya 48th F-14 is the most definitive model of Tomcat in any scale.

My apologies to CaptainObvious for taking note in this beautiful build thread and thank you for sharing your experience!

gtypeecanare,

That's really the way it should be done these days. Tamiya is certainly leading the field with R&D.  their kits aren't cheap, but they're still worth every penny. ZM seems to be almost their equal, and while I don't build WWI aircraft, WNW is certainly the equal to the best of the best. 

Joel

• CaptainObvious changed the title to Yet another 1/48 Tamiya F-14A