Yet another 1/48 Tamiya F-14A

22 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

Hi Joel,

You are too kind. CJ is on a whole other level. I just build OOB.

I have seen your jets and they are nice!

This Tamiya kit is a pleasure. Do give it a go when the mood strikes you. Highly recommended.

Exhaust cans are not really my thing and I usually just paint them the solid colors as per the instructions.

This is only the second time that I have attempted some form of weathering.

I did everything twice cos invariably the first attempt didn't match my expectations. 

I'm happy with how they turned out though. Perhaps next time, I won't be so afraid to tackle them. :) 

Capt. Obvious,

thanks for the thumbs up, but each has it's issues. online photos can be very deceptive as I tend to photograph the pluses not the minuses.

I am planning on buying the Tamiya F-14A this year no matter what. Although I currently have 2 /148 scale F4s on the to build list, and I want to get a ZM F4 as well. 

Joel

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:15 AM, gtypecanare said:

Not to hickjack this wonderful build thread, but to let you know the Tamiya designers had access to the original documents from Northrup Grumman.  In 2015 some of these designers traveled through out the United States to confirm and measure F-14's at various museums.  The Tamiya 48th F-14 is the most definitive model of Tomcat in any scale.

My apologies to CaptainObvious for taking note in this beautiful build thread and thank you for sharing your experience!

Hi George,

No apologies necessary. I welcome all and you've certainly added some interesting info to the thread!

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:00 AM, Joel_W said:

Capt. Obvious,

thanks for the thumbs up, but each has it's issues. online photos can be very deceptive as I tend to photograph the pluses not the minuses.

I am planning on buying the Tamiya F-14A this year no matter what. Although I currently have 2 /148 scale F4s on the to build list, and I want to get a ZM F4 as well. 

Joel

I'll certainly be looking forward to those F4 builds Joel!

• CaptainObvious changed the title to Yet another 1/48 Tamiya F-14A (updated 29 Mar)

Hello everyone!

I can't believe it has been another month. That's because weathering is not my strong suit and I proceeded slowly and with trepidation.

Fuel tanks

FASwnrY.jpg

Air bags

jjBExE0.jpg

Masking for the metallic bits

6P9v3an.jpg

Finally, I get to my favourite part of the build.
Out with the glue and sticking everything together!
I'm especially impressed with how Tamiya engineered the gear door attachments. Very positive with preset door angles.
Same with the gear attachment points. Alignment is positive and sturdy. 

They were so confidence inspiring that I sanded the flat spots in the tyres by moving the assembled model on top of sandpaper.

On her feet!
pn2nMaa.jpg

A look down into the pit.

The Band-Aid covers turned out to be too coarse but redoing them will take too much effort.
ngzNllN.jpg

Missiles

1nMEAor.jpg

Top view

0nAFUPZ.jpg

Bottom

j4HkPRk.jpg

There are still probes to be installed and I'm attempting to add some mirrors and ducts to the canopy. 

Thanks for stopping by folks!

Edited by CaptainObvious
  • CaptainObvious changed the title to Yet another 1/48 Tamiya F-14A (updated 28 Mar)

Capt.Obvious,

Don't sell yourself short. Your build has turned out to be IPMS National standards. For someone who doesn't have much confidence in weathering, the overall finish is just amazing. it truly looks like an operational aircraft. I've got one on my build list and your build will be my guide as I'm anything but a jet type of guy.

Joel

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:06 PM, Joel_W said:

Capt.Obvious,

Don't sell yourself short. Your build has turned out to be IPMS National standards. For someone who doesn't have much confidence in weathering, the overall finish is just amazing. it truly looks like an operational aircraft. I've got one on my build list and your build will be my guide as I'm anything but a jet type of guy.

Joel

Hey Joel,

Thank you so much for your encouragement.

I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm mostly stumbling along, trying out stuff and hoping it works.

I'll probably need a few more builds to get a handle on things.

Hey everyone,

I've scratched up some mirrors and ducts for the canopy.

I used some wiring and bent some pins.

zIWYlBG.jpg

QtHCbBv.jpg

On the plane

lCVv9Sn.jpg

Probes installed as well.

HPCVZMh.jpg

There are zero parts left to glue! :thumbsup2:

I'll consider her done but I'm planning on doing up a display base as well.

I'll put up some more pics when the base is completed.

Capt. Obvious

She's a 100% winner for sure. Believe me, you don't need any more kits to get the hang of anything. If mine comes out anything like yours did, it will be the best jet I've ever built by far.

Joel

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:03 AM, Joel_W said:

Capt. Obvious

She's a 100% winner for sure. Believe me, you don't need any more kits to get the hang of anything. If mine comes out anything like yours did, it will be the best jet I've ever built by far.

Joel

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, kike said:

Really nice job!!! I like how it looks used but not that much! only to make it look real! great weathering!

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, Paddington said:

:woo::woo:

The pilots look awesome !! Fantastic work man !

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, Major Walt said:

Just simply fantastic!!!

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:53 PM, JohnS said:

Very nice! :thumbsup:

Gentlemen,

Thank you for dropping by. I am so glad you took the time to leave kind comments. 

You certainly made my day. :salute:

I'd say your up to speed. She looks amazing, the weathering is just right and not overdone. You should be very proud of your accomplishments. Looking forward to seeing the display base too.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY!"

On 4/5/2018 at 9:34 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

I'd say your up to speed. She looks amazing, the weathering is just right and not overdone. You should be very proud of your accomplishments. Looking forward to seeing the display base too.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY!"

Thank you very much for you kind words Steve. I really appreciate your encouragement throughout this build.

I tried many new things and learnt a lot from doing this kit. I had fun while doing it too!

If anything, I hope to get faster. This kit took me a year...

The display base will be a simple affair as I have purchased one of those printed cardboard carrier deck sections.

I have several wood bases that are smaller than the model's footprint but I'm not sure if that will work aesthetically.

So I'm currently on the hunt for options. 

On 4/5/2018 at 11:11 PM, janman said:

That's a fantastic model of a beautiful aircraft! 

Thank you so much Janman!

I'm glad you like it. 

Great looking Tomcat!!!!!

Did you add the probes to the starboard side?

Also, if I may, I recommend adding the yaw string to the nose, it's an iconic feature for the Tomcat; a 40 million dollar aircraft with a piece of string for a primary flight instrament.:rofl:

Edited by GW8345
  • CaptainObvious changed the title to Yet another 1/48 Tamiya F-14A