Yet another 1/48 Tamiya F-14A

Capt. Obvious,

It just amazes me that anyone can stay focused on a build for that length of time.  You've stayed the course, never rushed anything just to move on, and the end results have been what I would call more then IPMS contest standards.  

Joel

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:53 PM, GW8345 said:

Great looking Tomcat!!!!!

Did you add the probes to the starboard side?

Also, if I may, I recommend adding the yaw string to the nose, it's an iconic feature for the Tomcat; a 40 million dollar aircraft with a piece of string for a primary flight instrament.:rofl:

Thanks GW!

The starboard side probes were added after that picture was taken.

I may just add the yaw string just as you had suggested. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sometimes simplest solutions work best. Else, the 40 million dollar aircraft may have well cost 41 million. :rofl:

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:02 PM, Joel_W said:

Capt. Obvious,

It just amazes me that anyone can stay focused on a build for that length of time.  You've stayed the course, never rushed anything just to move on, and the end results have been what I would call more then IPMS contest standards.  

Joel

Hi Joel,

To be fair, I'm away for work half the time. So a 1 year build is probably equal to a 6 month build for most people.

I build mostly OOB but I tend to fuss over the "cleanliness" of the build. That invariably lengthens project time. 

I will try to not fuss over things that are not apparent in the final product and be more efficient in my next build. 

With regards to staying focused, I used to have plenty of shelf queens.

They sit there unfinished, mocking and causing me anguish.

So for the past few years I've been slowly finishing them, one project at time. Now, I'm down to one!

These days, every kit I start will get finished. I don't care if my best effort looks like a lump of melted plastic.

That lump will get posted here too!

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, my favs are F`s said:

+1! 

Awesome Tomcat! Colorful and sharp...

12 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

Excellent looking Tomcat and those pilot figures just elevate the overall looks!

Thanks for saying so Gents! I appreciated you taking the time to comment. 

I must confess that I wasn't sure exactly what a Yaw String is, so I looked it up. Seems that it's not an after thought by Grumman's, but a simple mechanical device where the pilot doesn't have to look down at a gauge, but can easily see it while looking straight out of the windscreen, and it's more accurate then the standard gauge in the IP.  Makes sense to me.

Joel

14 minutes ago, CaptainObvious said:

Hi Joel,

To be fair, I'm away for work half the time. So a 1 year build is probably equal to a 6 month build for most people.

I build mostly OOB but I tend to fuss over the "cleanliness" of the build. That invariably lengthens project time. 

I will try to not fuss over things that are not apparent in the final product and be more efficient in my next build. 

With regards to staying focused, I used to have plenty of shelf queens.

They sit there unfinished, mocking and causing me anguish.

So for the past few years I've been slowly finishing them, one project at time. Now, I'm down to one!

These days, every kit I start will get finished. I don't care if my best effort looks like a lump of melted plastic.

That lump will get posted here too!

Capt. Obvious,

We're really quite similar in modeling philosophies.  I will start only model build at a time till it's finished no matter what. Every once in a while I start a build I truly hate, mostly due to such poor engineering and or manufacturing tolerances, that it does get tossed. But that's a rarity. In 2017 I tossed just one kit.  Every other build gets my undivided attention till it crosses the finish line. While it may not be up to IPMS National standards, it's the best that I can do with that kit considering my limited skill level.  I will pick out my next build, start to do my research, and decide what I want to accomplish with it past the OOB stage, then order what AM is needed, but that's it. I don't touch the plastic, but to decide on decals options I will carefully examine the kit ones.   

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
On ‎13‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, kurnass77 said:

I'm late Captain,

but you've a beautiful Kitty here;the weathering is perfectely balanced,as per ref of the period,nice shot!:thumbsup:

Gianni

On ‎14‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, Thommo said:

Damn that is nice!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving kind comments guys!

• CaptainObvious changed the title to Yet another 1/48 Tamiya F-14A