Yet another 1/48 Tamiya F-14A

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:31 AM, Falconxlvi said:

I had the exact same experience with the Gunze LGG and White.  Even after two weeks, I had tacky paint.  I mixed Gunze Acrlyic with Mr Color Leveling thinner at about 2:1 thinner to paint, even going closer to 3:1 with no success.  Gunze Super Clear III varnish sealed everything up though.  I will use Tamiya or try MRP paints for my next Tomcat.  

Steve

That's what I was talking about. This time around, I'm spraying thin layers and giving plenty of drying time in between. Seems to help a little although masking tape still leaves marks. It all disappears under a clear coat.

Waiting for paint to dry does stretch out the build times though. I just move on to others tasks in the meantime.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 12:35 PM, Major Walt said:

Awesome work! I'm about to get heart stoppage from the awesomeness of this build!!

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

Nice progress, she's coming along nicely.

Steve

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:46 PM, Spad said:

I'm sitting in the front row to enjoy the show!!!

Thanks for stopping by fellas! You really help with the motivation.

As I've mentioned in the previous post, watching paint dry is slowing down progress.
But the good news is that the build is progressing. ha.

Painting in squiggles, section by section is slow going.

O9cdeBw.jpg

Can't really see the tonal variation in the pictures but I like the effect in person.

9NOrhin.jpg

What's this? Another slide mold line? Dang, it's faint but I just can't let it go. OCD at work.

(Note, they are present on both sides)

QQkfc20.jpg

Fixed!

icwHIQx.jpg

The state of affairs now.

W7tE3CN.jpg

TQCSMF9.jpg

Cheers folks! Happy modelling :wave:

CO

Just finished catching up on your Tomcat build and lov'en it. Simply beautiful work👍

Very impressed with Papa Tamiya's front office and details, as they eadily equal the Aires AM resin set I'm using on my HB Cat. 

I'm planning on a rather clean Tomcat myself and am taking notes on your AB work, which looks simply textbook.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Nicely done Capt!  FWIW, the mould lines along the intakes are present in all three of the Tamiya Tomcats I have in my stash.  Annoying, but one of the few complaints I have on this otherwise fantastic model.   I’m looking forward to seeing it finished!   Good luck with all the decals too- there are soooooo many!

Very nice, clean work so far, she's looking good. Just remember, these early airframes were painted in gloss colors and kept fairly clean so, be gentle with the weathering.

Steve

"TOMCAT'S FOREVER, BABY !"

Cap O,

Just caught up on your build, and it's coming along really quite well. So I'm pulling up my chair and will be following along to completion. 

With those paint issues and very long drying times that still don't produce a cured surface, why not switch to another brand of Acrylic paint? 

Joel

2 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

With those paint issues and very long drying times that still don't produce a cured surface, why not switch to another brand of Acrylic paint? 

Exactly why I refuse to use water based paints plus, the adhesion issues as well.

Steve

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:43 PM, Peterpools said:

CO

Just finished catching up on your Tomcat build and lov'en it. Simply beautiful work👍

Very impressed with Papa Tamiya's front office and details, as they eadily equal the Aires AM resin set I'm using on my HB Cat. 

I'm planning on a rather clean Tomcat myself and am taking notes on your AB work, which looks simply textbook.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks for stopping by Peter. I'm tagging along for your HB tomcat build too. The cockpit looks great!

21 hours ago, Rodney said:

Coming along nicely.  I like the paint technique. 

Rodney

Thanks Rodney!

20 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Nicely done Capt!  FWIW, the mould lines along the intakes are present in all three of the Tamiya Tomcats I have in my stash.  Annoying, but one of the few complaints I have on this otherwise fantastic model.   I’m looking forward to seeing it finished!   Good luck with all the decals too- there are soooooo many!

Hey Falcon,

I think keeping an eye out for slide mold lines is going to be part of the drill these days. I am of two minds about them. The technique allows for reduced parts count, better alignment and more accurate shapes. However sometimes the cleanup can be quite involving. I built a Hobby Boss submarine and the multipart molds were badly misaligned. The cleanup was no easier than gluing multi parts together. 
Not on this Tamiya though. Real easy cleanup. I just wish I spotted them before paint.

I do build slowly so it is going to take me a while to finish. That said, I hope to finish this by the end of the year.

Decaling, believe it or not, is one of the more enjoyable parts of the build for me.

Cheers!

18 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Very nice, clean work so far, she's looking good. Just remember, these early airframes were painted in gloss colors and kept fairly clean so, be gentle with the weathering.

Steve

"TOMCAT'S FOREVER, BABY !"

Thanks Steve.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. Besides, it'll play nicely into this "I can't weather to save my life" thing that I have.  :thumbsup2:

18 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Cap O,

Just caught up on your build, and it's coming along really quite well. So I'm pulling up my chair and will be following along to completion. 

Joel

Hey Joel! Thanks for stopping by.

When I started out in the hobby, Gunze and Tamiya were the only 2 brands that are conveniently available. I have built quite a collection of these paints and their solvents and it'll be such a waste to chuck them.

I've used them for so long that I'm used to their characteristics. Overall, I'm happy with their performance.

The long drying time is something that I can work around. My job requires me to be away for quite a bit. So I just paint before a trip.

I also work on other parts of the build while another is drying.

For example, while the fuselage paint is drying, I started on these,

Wxe9RTh.jpg

These days I see Lifecolor and Mig paints cropping up as well. I have recently acquired some and will put them to use in future projects.

Cheers!

PS. The pilots and seats combo is from Aerobonus. http://www.aires.cz/en/product/us-navy-pilot-operator-with-ejection-seats-for-f-14a-b-tomcat/0-2659/

Edited by CaptainObvious
edited for brevity
18 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Exactly why I refuse to use water based paints plus, the adhesion issues as well.

Steve

Hey Steve,

I live in a small apartment (no balcony) with the wife and kids. So I don't really have a choice. :crying2:

I will use enamels and lacquers if I have to. That gets me the side eye from SWMBO.

Thus my first go to is always acrylics. 

Cap O,

I've resisted the ever growing line of paints as there seems to be another new brand or line coming out all the time. My brother emailed me yesterday that MRP lacquer paints is now coming out with the same colors in a new acrylic line.  I really can't see the need for another line of any type of paint as we have way too many as it  is, and not even the big online boys can carry more then a few full lines. 

I've been a Tamiya acrylic modeler since I got back into the hobby almost 8 years ago. I do use MRP paints for interiors as they  have every color I've needed to date perfectly premixed. I've also been expanding my use of Mig Ammo acrylics as well. that's about it for me except for Alcad 2 metalizers. 

Joel

1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

Cap O,

I've resisted the ever growing line of paints as there seems to be another new brand or line coming out all the time. My brother emailed me yesterday that MRP lacquer paints is now coming out with the same colors in a new acrylic line.  I really can't see the need for another line of any type of paint as we have way too many as it  is, and not even the big online boys can carry more then a few full lines. 

I've been a Tamiya acrylic modeler since I got back into the hobby almost 8 years ago. I do use MRP paints for interiors as they  have every color I've needed to date perfectly premixed. I've also been expanding my use of Mig Ammo acrylics as well. that's about it for me except for Alcad 2 metalizers. 

Joel

Hey Joel,

I started out with Tamiya paints but their colors are just too limited. Gunze filled in the blanks, mostly. I try hard to stick to these 2 brands but occasionally have to look elsewhere.

Recently I bought some Lifecolor for F-15 mod eagle colors. Similarly, I resorted to MiG acrylics for Su-33 camo colors. And who can resist Alclad metallics? 

The newer brands seem to be more expensive compared to Tamiya and Gunze.

The good news is that Tamiya seem to be expanding their range with their new kits. Hopefully they release some RLM colors with their new Bf-109.

Cheers!

59 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Hi, CaptainObvious, got a question.   The paint on the bottom where you used Gunze Aqueous that remained tacky -- did it sand easily when you were fixing the mold lines?

Hey Crackerjazz,

I left that paint for about a week before I sanded it. At that point I can gently handle the painted parts fine without marring it.

However if I held the part too firmly, I will leave prints. For example, if I held on to the painted fuselage while sanding, I will leave marks. So I have to be careful where I hold the model when I have to use pressure. 

That said, and to answer you question, it did sand fine after a week of curing. I used a 3m sanding sponge (2000 grit I think) with gentle pressure and proceeded slowly. I think it feathered reasonably well.

You were right to ask because if you did it any other way, the paint might "roll" (apologies for the lack of a better word). 

I hope that helped.

4 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

Hey Joel,

I started out with Tamiya paints but their colors are just too limited. Gunze filled in the blanks, mostly. I try hard to stick to these 2 brands but occasionally have to look elsewhere.

Recently I bought some Lifecolor for F-15 mod eagle colors. Similarly, I resorted to MiG acrylics for Su-33 camo colors. And who can resist Alclad metallics? 

The newer brands seem to be more expensive compared to Tamiya and Gunze.

The good news is that Tamiya seem to be expanding their range with their new kits. Hopefully they release some RLM colors with their new Bf-109.

Cheers!

Cap. O,

Tamiya expanding their range of paints really isn't tied to having the paint company who makes the paints for them match any given chip. The issue comes from their support and sales to brick and mortar retail stores. This explanation comes from the owner of my somewhat LHS. The Tamiya double rack can only hold so many 10 & 23 ml bottles of paint, spray cans, glues, and thinners. In order to carry a larger line, Tamiya wanted the retailers to buy a larger rack, not just have the new colors on a shelf or eliminate some older colors. The rack is rather expensive, and most LHS owners when asked didn't want to purchase a new rack. Hence, when the rack became full, the new paints ceased. Like I said, whether or not this is fact or fiction, I have no idea, but it kind of sounds like something Tamiya would want to do to insure that there full line is carried. 

Over the years, I've found now trusted sites that have mixes which work just fine. Some are simple and some complex. So I started to branch out with Mig Ammo as well, and now my brother has been thrilled with Akan paints and their paint sets, so I just might try them as well. At least for the colors that Mig doesn't carry.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
Additional information added
17 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Cap. O,

Tamiya expanding their range of paints really isn't tied to having the paint company who makes the paints for them match any given chip. The issue comes from their support and sales to brick and mortar retail stores. This explanation comes from the owner of my somewhat LHS. The Tamiya double rack can only hold so many 10 & 23 ml bottles of paint, spray cans, glues, and thinners. In order to carry a larger line, Tamiya wanted the retailers to buy a larger rack, not just have the new colors on a shelf or eliminate some older colors. The rack is rather expensive, and most LHS owners when asked didn't want to purchase a new rack. Hence, when the rack became full, the new paints ceased. Like I said, whether or not this is fact or fiction, I have no idea, but it kind of sounds like something Tamiya would want to do to insure that there full line is carried. 

Over the years, I've found now trusted sites that have mixes which work just fine. Some are simple and some complex. So I started to branch out with Mig Ammo as well, and now my brother has been thrilled with Akan paints and their paint sets, so I just might try them as well. At least for the colors that Mig doesn't carry.

Joel

That's a really interesting angle.

Thanks for sharing Joel.

Nice work on the Tomcat. I started doing the black primer as well on some of my jets and they've come out looking great (to me anyway).

I too use strictly acrylics like Tamiya, Ammo, Vallejo and such. Just don't like the smell of other paints. 

19 hours ago, Wolfgun33 said:

Nice work on the Tomcat. I started doing the black primer as well on some of my jets and they've come out looking great (to me anyway).

I too use strictly acrylics like Tamiya, Ammo, Vallejo and such. Just don't like the smell of other paints. 

Thanks Wolfgun!

Yeah, everything is a compromise. Acrylics have many cons but they cleanup real easy and the mild smell doesn't stress the relationship with the wife. :rolleyes:

• CaptainObvious changed the title to Yet another 1/48 Tamiya F-14A