Fishbone is doing this set in 1/48th also. Coming out at the end of August.

Was looking at this sheet as I have it also. I will be replacing the roundels... as the maple leaf is a tad off center.

ALF so far great work.... I'm watching also.

Cheers

Emil

2 hours ago, Emvar said:

Fishbone is doing this set in 1/48th also. Coming out at the end of August.

Was looking at this sheet as I have it also. I will be replacing the roundels... as the maple leaf is a tad off center.

ALF so far great work.... I'm watching also.

Cheers

Emil

Thanks, buddy.

I have been looking at the Kinetic 1/48 on Lucky Model's site. To me the decals look easier than Fishbone's, what with the white areas being included. White is my nemesis, and I am having a hard time getting the finish right while preserving the surface detail, especially in 1/72. This one is not turning out as well as I'd hoped.

ALF

You guys are both right; great advice. What I find tough with the way these decals are conceived is that there is a lot of masking, and it's tough to get nice clean lines everywhere. The Kinetic decals are different, and they look easier to achieve the paint job with less masking involved.

ALF

I have finished the paint touchups, and covered with Future. I may have previously mentioned that the darker red area was made with mostly red, with a bit of red brown mixed in. With the Future it looks pretty good.

FdT089C.jpg

You can spot the other 1/72 project (Battle of Britain) in the background.

YDbNpSr.jpg

I made the CIT antennae out of cardboard strips. I painted the light grey (bottom colour) onto a package for a consumer product, and chopped it into thin strips after it dried. I then applied to wet Future, and applied more Future on top to seal them in place. Not perfect, but better than not having them at all.

3cYwZwv.jpg

On 04/08/2017 at 8:37 AM, phantom said:

Looking really good.

Thanks Phantom. This will turn into a pretty good 3-footer.

On 06/08/2017 at 8:20 AM, AX 365 said:

This one seems to have a bit of push back, doesn't it?  It'll look good when she's done and that's all that matters.

Yes. Nothing easy on this one. Wait until you see the next pics... oh, wait. You DID see them on my phone this week at the museum in Montreal. Spoiler alert!

ALF

On 07/08/2017 at 0:28 AM, HOLMES said:

ALL..

Just popped in to see your SUPERB workmanship. 

:worship:

Thanks Holmes. You always know exactly what to say.

:thumbsup:

Decals going on. I started with the large maple leaves on the spine. The size is too large here, unfortunately. The leaf should not intersect the vertical tails, but it does. I had to cut the leaf. No, it can't go further forward, because the points at the front will go beyond the leading edge of the wings.

s7SiINg.jpg

Here is the drawing from the AM decal instructions. You can see how the leaf on the back is smaller in this view. Also, have a good look at the yellow leaves on the wings. See how the tail of the leaf is chopped?

IEgkqFP.jpg

On the right side, the outboard yellow leaf has been put in place too far forward. I only noticed after it was too late. Even then, I still had to chop some of the stem off the leaf. Now, I realize that I would have had to trim the lower part of the leaf considerably to put it in its right place, but it is still over-scale (too large). Look at the left left half. It has some of the yellow lines from the outer leaf, which I imagined in a dream would fit beautifully with the outboard decal. Now, look at the right side. Not even close. The good news is that there are so many yellow and white lines, that it is not obvious unless you are looking for the join detail.

imiQjky.jpg

Most decals are on here. One of the big problems with the decal instructions is that there are NO indications of which decal goes where. No numbers. No call-outs. Not easy.

A8jq4gO.jpg

XIXfQs6.jpg

8vslnli.jpg

oezg0eQ.jpg

In the background, you can see the Battle of Britain demo. It is a nicer kit, and I have done a better job of masking and painting.

kLv5Wn1.jpg

Uj165HN.jpg

More soon. Thanks for the comments, folks.

ALF

15 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Shame about the decal fit Still looks good though 

Martin H

Thanks Martin.

I'm calling this one done now.

With a pin I got from Bruce at the Montreal Aviation Museum on the West Island. Definitely worth visiting. Also, with Canada Post's coin set from 2017.

sNJ7sHd.jpg

sF3TOgi.jpg

9QkPxPZ.jpg

t8aKWko.jpg

iB8Ss21.jpg

TygMJfv.jpg

ALF

Wow Alf! Very nice even with the short comings of the kit and decals. I know in conversation fishbone said he sized them to the academy kit. Never the less... great work my friend.

On 12/08/2017 at 7:54 AM, AX 365 said:

Nice results despite the setbacks and limitations of the decals and the kit.  Looks good, ALF.

Thanks, Mike.

20 hours ago, phantom said:

That turned out great. You may have the first ever competed model with the new RCAF x ARC markings. Very nice!

Only because you didn't attack it first, Phantom! :cheers:

The first one would be the one Fishbone had on his FB page, but this is certainly one of the first. Looking forward to the Lucky Model ones in 1/48. I ordered two yesterday with those markings.

16 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Nicely done, looks great ALF

:thumbsup:

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Emvar said:

Wow Alf! Very nice even with the short comings of the kit and decals. I know in conversation fishbone said he sized them to the academy kit. Never the less... great work my friend.

Strange that they might fit the Academy kit. It is roughly the same size as this one, but his example on his FB looks OK. Huh. Thanks Emil!

ALF

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 1:56 AM, ALF18 said:

Thanks Martin.

I'm calling this one done now.

With a pin I got from Bruce at the Montreal Aviation Museum on the West Island. Definitely worth visiting. Also, with Canada Post's coin set from 2017.

sNJ7sHd.jpg

sF3TOgi.jpg

9QkPxPZ.jpg

t8aKWko.jpg

iB8Ss21.jpg

TygMJfv.jpg

ALF

WOW ALL!

STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS  looking model.

That design is so striking and  your CANADA 150 IS SPECTACULAR  to look at.

AMAZING ... 

IT ROCKS !:worship:

• 1 month later...
On 22/10/2017 at 1:36 PM, HOLMES said:

Hello ALF..

Love ya... and your posts.

So what's next.... :wave:

Thank you Holmes... you always say the nicest things! :cheers:

I'm currently working on a Challenger 604 in 1/72, from Big Planes Kits. It's coming along slowly but surely. Look for it in this Group Build. I've explained my personal connection to that aircraft.

ALF