Completed 1:144 Sunwing 737-800.

Completed, Revell 1:144 737-800 TUIfly “HaribAIR” boxing. For the Sunwing detail, I used Draw Decals sheet 44s-737-800. Great product IMHO.

Some reviews suspect the winglets. The kit winglets looked OK to me.       This build is a departure from my usual 1:72 fighters and targets. No weathering on this one.    

35915975461_6545607640_c.jpg

35879104692_16a930dec1_c.jpg

35879104062_969f806848_c.jpg

35879103642_9c8a219b50_c.jpg

36050154025_a0dfa29ea2_c.jpg

35915970581_4efa3442d5_c.jpg

(This is also my "Flickr" test. I can see the images in the preview. I hope it is not exclusive; because they are "cashed" in my computer, or similar.)

Nice work! I'm guessing you filled in the cabin windows?

Why did you choose Sunwing?

BTW, the images are not cached on your system.

I have some Draw Decals too, so I'm glad to hear they worked well for you. Have you every used Nazca?

Thank-you.

Yes; I filled in the cabin windows right away. The front windscreen details and frames were filled too. I felt this would be the best way to address the open interior condition and provide a surface for decals. Such was a guess because airliners are not my regular builds. I even built a test subject in 2016 to learn more: Revell box (Matchbox?) 1:320 DC-10. I think that's where filling windows to favour decals came into my basic airliner play. A side by side image with my 2016 skill builder is linked below.

The Sunwing model was given to a connection. I have not tried Nazca decals. One could probably reduce the amount of recommended nose weight on this kit. I went with instructions and feel it is hard to handle due to the extra heavy nose.

36050155645_2ef87341d7_c.jpg

Nice models, Erik! :thumbsup:

I've used both Draw and Nazca's decals and like both. Nazca's are laser-printed, so they don't have white and you have to apply them over a light background color. Draw Decals (and Vintage Flyer decals, too) use a special printing process that enables them to print white, but the ink is impervious to decal setting solutions. You get them to conform to compound curves by dipping them in very hot water. I'll dip a paper towel in boiling water (while being careful not to burn my fingers!) and press them down. This works especially well on stripes that have to conform to the radome area. 

Ben

Wow, that is very very nice :thumbsup:. Pretty good for your second airliner kit.

Ok I have several of these Revell kits and read of issues but to be honest I cannot see them. Something about the window line but since you used decals not an issue. I think there is also some problems with the intake shape?

It looks like you have windshield wipers too. Is that something you made from scratch?

Edited by skyhawk174

Even though I have a plastic tote box full of 1/144 kits airliner models intimidate me since most of them have no panel lines to use as landmark for lining up window decals.

And I feel embarrassed about feeling intimidated after building models since the early 1970s. Such is life.

While 737 intakes are being discussed, and I don't know enough about them to spot shape errors, this trivia might be of interest,

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/how-737-got-its-hamster-mouth-180952391/

Boeing’s 737 airliner looks different because its engines do not breathe through a perfectly circular inlet, but through a fish-mouth orifice, widening toward the bottom and with a flattened lower lip. It’s a reminder that the engineering decisions that nobody notices at the time can have momentous effects.

Our story begins in early 1979.

Thank-you for all the comments. MUCH appreciated!

It seems another 2¢ about the kit is being gently requested. I would build the kit again. Next time I would:

• fill the small gap between nacelle and wing

• attach the wing section to the fuselage per instructions. (I kept them separate for painting until very late in the process. I had a tough time finessing the connection later. I’m not happy with my result at the joint.)

• re-check references: The outer gear door placement is suspect.

• Improve the lights/clear part. Both fit and appearance are underwhelming.

• reduce the nose weight, by half? (Mentioned above.)

Other notes:

• The wipers are optional decals on the Draw Decal set. The windscreen is two layers/decals. The wipers are integral to the surface/second windscreen frames. [Edit: Separate wipers are item 33 on the kit’s “HaribAIR” sheet. Same sheet gives design credit to Nazca, but retains copyright.]

• The kit nacelles did not fall together nicely for me. I cut and glued some sprue inside to ensure the plate with the intake stayed aligned. The plate has an alignment pin/knob, but only on one side. The same plates are the only items I remember filing to fit.

• Kit has enough detail on the doors and hatches to assist with the long row of window decals. (You note I did not get it 90%+ aligned either.)

SouthWestForests; Thanks for the story/link. The 737-800 intakes seem just as unique as the nacelles of the 737-200's. The '-200 nacelles remind me of the Arado 234.

It has been a long time since the ARC "airliners" group build. Sounds like there are several of us with an airliner in the stash. Happy modeling.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/forum/138-the-airliner-group-build/   1 January 2009 - 1 July 2009

Edited by Lost_Erik

Thanks for the list. That will be helpful when I start mine. My first one will be a Westjet 737-800 since I live in Alberta and they are a Canadian Western airline. I also love their scheme.