Werner's Wings UH-1D/H Decals for Kitty Hawk kit PREVIEW

Perfect timing!!  I'm about to finish a F-105D flown by a friend /neighbor in 1968 Thailand.

I have 3 of the Kitty Hawk Hueys and I'm Hot to Trot!!

Bo

Demon 68. 

(U'll NEVER guess which one I'll build, first!!)

5 hours ago, anvil6 said:

any updates?

edit: derp, never mind, i missed the last post on the previous page.  looking forward to it!

Yup here you go.  WW Decals 48-14-Ride of the Valkyries- UH-1D/H in Vietnam.

Floyd

S5M6AHI.jpg

Qmcvi5r.jpg

M0N4uME.jpg

7Vv77in.jpg

ILjn5uG.jpg

Scheduled to arrive on 21 August and should be available by my birthday on the 23rd.  Resin may take a little longer. 

Floyd

Sweet looking decals Floyd. You, Mason, Ray and all the guys did an outstanding job! August 23rd huh? Ha, mines the 24th!

I love the white Huey. It reminds me of the Flatiron Hueys. Hopefully those markings will come out soon!

Tim

3 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Yup here you go.  WW Decals 48-14-Ride of the Valkyries- UH-1D/H in Vietnam.

Floyd

S5M6AHI.jpg

Qmcvi5r.jpg

M0N4uME.jpg

7Vv77in.jpg

ILjn5uG.jpg

Scheduled to arrive on 21 August and should be available by my birthday on the 23rd.  Resin may take a little longer. 

Floyd

This is basically the most cool stuff I have see in years
the other nations Huey will be on the other set ?

1 hour ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

This is basically the most cool stuff I have see in years
the other nations Huey will be on the other set ?

Actually the next sheet will still be all US Vietnam and beyond, maybe another Aussie one from Vietnam.  You will definitely see more with toilet bowl exhausts and later H stuff.  The Mickey Mouse Medevac will be on this sheet.  Air America, Navy, Air Force, Vietnamese (at least two), Flat Iron, maybe a school house one, and a National Guard.  

The third sheet will be all foreign.  I plan on El Salvador, Philipinees, New Zealand, UN.  Maybe a German one but DF Models out of Germany is doing all of them so no need to duplicate the work.  We'll see what else I can come up with by then.  So if you have a Huey that you'd like to see now is the time to email or PM me so I can get it on the list.  I make no promises that they will be included but if I don't have the information you can guarantee they won't be included.  

Floyd

17 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Actually the next sheet will still be all US Vietnam and beyond, maybe another Aussie one from Vietnam.  You will definitely see more with toilet bowl exhausts and later H stuff.  The Mickey Mouse Medevac will be on this sheet.  Air America, Navy, Air Force, Vietnamese (at least two), Flat Iron, maybe a school house one, and a National Guard.  

The third sheet will be all foreign.  I plan on El Salvador, Philipinees, New Zealand, UN.  Maybe a German one but DF Models out of Germany is doing all of them so no need to duplicate the work.  We'll see what else I can come up with by then.  So if you have a Huey that you'd like to see now is the time to email or PM me so I can get it on the list.  I make no promises that they will be included but if I don't have the information you can guarantee they won't be included.  

Floyd

Thanks! I was the one who email you about the Mickey Mouse! and it will be on!

that is amazing!

and El Salvador! awesome!

9 hours ago, HUEYHOG said:

I'm curious about the orange elevators, is there a reason for the making them orange?

It is so aircraft overhead can find you.  The helicopter is camouflaged and difficult to see.  The orange isn't a natural color to see so it was easier to see them.  Also in a crash it would be easier to see hopefully.

Floyd

Concerning the orange sync elevators, this was mandated by Army Technical Bulletin TB 746-93-2. It mandated that on Hueys, the tops of the snyc elevators would be painted international orange (not dayglo) and the top of one main rotor would be painted white, while the top of the other main rotor blade would be painted black. These conspicuity markings were an attempt to make Army aircraft more visible to "fast movers" after a number of mid-airs. The TB applied to all camouflaged Army aircraft (including fixed wing) and you'll see orange and white panels on most army aircraft during the 1969-1970 timeframe. The markings were only visible from above; seen from below, they were all OD. By far the most successful effort was the black/white rotor blades; it made the Hueys visible from above from miles away. Sometime in the early 70's the Army went away from these conspicuity markings, but I don't know when (or why). As always, there were wide variations in application.

Mig

Just so you know.  Option 3 should be C Company not A Company.  The decals are being packaged up.  I'll be adding the Spider to my build today.  By the end of the week I'll have the ARC-102 HF antennas and the decals available.  I'll be releasing the Anti-Strella and the UH-1H Upgrades later, as well as the correction set.  As soon as I have the correction set I'll be releasing that.  The others will probably come out when we have the second decal sheet, but we'll see.  Maybe sooner.  I do like to release the decals and resin together.

It is a good time to be a Huey modeler.

Floyd

On 8/21/2017 at 7:07 PM, Rob Mignard said:

Concerning the orange sync elevators, this was mandated by Army Technical Bulletin TB 746-93-2. It mandated that on Hueys, the tops of the snyc elevators would be painted international orange (not dayglo) and the top of one main rotor would be painted white, while the top of the other main rotor blade would be painted black. These conspicuity markings were an attempt to make Army aircraft more visible to "fast movers" after a number of mid-airs. The TB applied to all camouflaged Army aircraft (including fixed wing) and you'll see orange and white panels on most army aircraft during the 1969-1970 timeframe. The markings were only visible from above; seen from below, they were all OD. By far the most successful effort was the black/white rotor blades; it made the Hueys visible from above from miles away. Sometime in the early 70's the Army went away from these conspicuity markings, but I don't know when (or why). As always, there were wide variations in application.

Mig

Mig,

Thanks for the info on the technical Bulletin.  I have looked at lots and lots of Vietnam pics and have certainly seen the all white blades, but it seems that plenty of units still used the OD upper blades with 6 inch yellow tips even in 69/70.  As you say, "wide variations in application."  The orange sync elevators seem to have been adopted much more readily though.

Ray

27 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Mig,

Thanks for the info on the technical Bulletin.  I have looked at lots and lots of Vietnam pics and have certainly seen the all white blades, but it seems that plenty of units still used the OD upper blades with 6 inch yellow tips even in 69/70.  As you say, "wide variations in application."  The orange sync elevators seem to have been adopted much more readily though.

Ray

The orange sync elevators were used until the the late 80s in a lot of NG units. 

Edited by huey_crew_chief

Glad to be of help. I flew with the 92nd AHC from May 69 to May 70. I don't recall seeing any Hueys without the white/black blades during my tour (of course it has been 48 years; maybe I don't remember). I flew primarily in the Central Highlands (II Corps); what went on in the other CTZ's I'm unaware of.

Mig

57 minutes ago, Rob Mignard said:

Glad to be of help. I flew with the 92nd AHC from May 69 to May 70. I don't recall seeing any Hueys without the white/black blades during my tour (of course it has been 48 years; maybe I don't remember). I flew primarily in the Central Highlands (II Corps); what went on in the other CTZ's I'm unaware of.

Mig

Mig,

Interesting. This pic from CW2 Jim Broderick shows a Sidekick gunship from either 68 or 69 and you can see the white stripe in the middle of the blade.  I have seen this much more commonly than the entire blade painted white.  My dad served with the 190th AHC in III Corp in 68-69.  I know they were painting at least the white stripes on the blades by 69/70.

Ray

fh2.jpg

Ray, you're correct; this photo is from 1968. At that time, the white stripes were mandated. The Army found them to be less than adequate and went on to amend the TB to one white and one black. I'm not sure the date that this happened (I wasn't there then); but by mid 69, they all had the black/white blades.  You'll notice in the photo of 113 that it doesn't have the orange sync elevators, nor does it have the company/battalion markings on the pilots doors and sync elevators. The "Stallion" emblem is on the rear of the tail boom in white, and the logo on the doors says "92 AHC" with Army pilot wings in the middle. These were all changed with the release of the updated Tech Bulletin. As a follow-up to your photo, the "Coors" cans suffered a tube burnout and became unusable. 113 then got the "Budweiser" cans and flew with them until it was shot down in mid-70 (one of the tail rotor pitch change links were destroyed, making the helicopter uncontrollable). When I arrived at the 92nd, 113 had all of the TB changes in place.

On the subject of the jump doors with no windows; these first appeared on the 69 H model Hueys. I don't know which tail number they started with.

Mig

13 hours ago, Rob Mignard said:

Ray, you're correct; this photo is from 1968. At that time, the white stripes were mandated. The Army found them to be less than adequate and went on to amend the TB to one white and one black. I'm not sure the date that this happened (I wasn't there then); but by mid 69, they all had the black/white blades.  You'll notice in the photo of 113 that it doesn't have the orange sync elevators, nor does it have the company/battalion markings on the pilots doors and sync elevators. The "Stallion" emblem is on the rear of the tail boom in white, and the logo on the doors says "92 AHC" with Army pilot wings in the middle. These were all changed with the release of the updated Tech Bulletin. As a follow-up to your photo, the "Coors" cans suffered a tube burnout and became unusable. 113 then got the "Budweiser" cans and flew with them until it was shot down in mid-70 (one of the tail rotor pitch change links were destroyed, making the helicopter uncontrollable). When I arrived at the 92nd, 113 had all of the TB changes in place.

On the subject of the jump doors with no windows; these first appeared on the 69 H model Hueys. I don't know which tail number they started with.

Mig

Mig,

Thanks for the info.  Finding shots of tops of rotor blades is tough.  I did find this shot taken by Randall Unruh of a bird hit by a satchel charge at Dong Ba Thin on March 7, 1970.  You can see the orange tops on the sync elevators, but both rotor blades look to be black with yellow tips.  Anyway, I find this stuff interesting.   Was there any difference between the way the rotors were painted on the guns and the slicks?  I am assuming not.

Ray

ru2.jpg 

Ray, thanks for the photo. That H model was brand new 69 model (less than a week in the company) when it was destroyed. Although it's got the orange snyc elevators; you'll notice that the battalion/company numbers aren't present, nor are the platoon colors (yellow for first platoon; blue for second platoon), or the 17th Group red/white/blue bands. We didn't have time to paint everything before it was blown up. Again, there were wide variations in how much and which markings were applied.

Our Charley models were painted in very dark glossy OD (darker than the old factory applied gloss OD). The gun platoon used white as a platoon color. They carried the same conspicuity markings as the H models.

Send me an e-mail (migflier@aol.com) and I'll send you more information.

Mig