New to airbrushing. Which paint?

Been watching lots of stuff on YouTube. Still haven't bought an airbrush, but am looking at the iwata eclipse from hobby lobby. I typically build F-15,16 modern US Air Force/navy stuff, B-52's all era's and like Vietnam aircraft navy and Air Force. So am wondering what paint would be best? I really don't want to have to mix so have been watching Vellajo YouTube stufff, but have noticed they don't have all the colors I want. Then I saw Flory Models use Mr. Paint. I see and made a wishlist at hobby world-USA.com for these paints. Now I also want to use Migs enamel washes. Can they be used on Vellajo and Mr. Paint? Inputs please. Lots of models in the stash. Thanks for the replies.

Gunze (Mr.Color) and Mr. Paint are both very good, easy to use, good color choices and available.  Tamiya is also very good but will require mixing for many colors.  Alclad is the best choice for metal finishes.  Also, Alclad's Aqua Clear Gloss is an excellent sealer if you are planning to use the Mig washes.

HTH, Dave

Mr. Color and Alclad are both lacquers. They need to be applied to a very smooth surface lest scratches show through, and, IMHO, need good technique to spray properly. Having written that, learning how to thin and spray Mr. Color is completely worth it, the finish is wonderfully smooth. Get Mr Leveling Thinner to help in getting a good application. Most common problem is being too far away, allowing the paint to dry before it hits the surface. I spray from 0.5 to 1.5" with a 0.35mm nozzle, and 2", (maybe 2.5") with a 0.5 fan nozzle. You should see the paint wet on the surface. Alclad is already thinned for airbrushing; it uses the same spraying techniques. Lacquers also benefit from drying quickly. I apply decals directly to gloss Mr Color and Alclad surfaces.

I tried Vallejo Air, and didn't like it at all. I do like their paints for brushing.

For what my LHS doesn't carry, I've gotten great Mr Color service from animetropolis on ebay.

Whichever paint you're used to using.

There really isn't a 'best' paint.  Some people love a particular brand; others will hate it.  It's mostly about finding what works well for you.  In most cases, that's just "I tried it, it worked okay-ish, so I'll keep using it until I get good."

I would suggest that there's benefit to being able to buy a paint locally.  And I think there's benefit to using a brand that has many/most of the colours you'll want to use, so you don't have to mix everything (see: Tamiya)

There's also benefit to using a paint that mixes well with other paints.  My experience is that what most people refer to as "acrylics" (alcohol- or water-based paints) often tend to be more... 'brand specific'.  ie. Different brands perform differently, so there's a learning curve for each manufacturer - Vallejo may require a different thinner than Acrysion which may require a different thinner than MM Acryl.  On the other hand, enamels and lacquers *seem* to be more interchangeable, so there's little discernible difference between MM enamel and Humbrol and WEM and Xtracolor.  Though, I'm an enamel/lacquer fan, so there's some personal bias there.  

Buy a couple colors from each of the popular brands and give it a whirl. I ended up liking Gunze and both their aqueous and lacquer line but Vallejo won me over with availability and ease. They also seem to have expanded their line recently. While at hobby lobby you may want to pick up some cheap kits and use them as a test bed.

I prefer Lacquer paints over Acrylic paints usually but there are time where the acrylics are the best choices. As others have said but a few colors from each and go from there. The one thing you definitely  need is  Mr. Color Leveling thinner. I use it for pretty much all my lacquers and even enamels. The paint i really have been enjoying using lately is Mr. Paint, not Mr. Color but, Mr. Paint from Slovakia. they have some of teh best stuff I have ever used, you have to spray it thin (which it is straight from the bottle) and use multiple layers. Which is true for all paints, don't try to do it all in one pass, build it up in layers, gives you a lot more control.

Bottom line you have to find what works for You!! and your setup.   

2 hours ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

Can use a enamel wash with a laquer paint. I am leaning to use Mr. Paint, but would like to use the Mig washes that are enamel.

You can use an enamel wash with both Mr. Color and Mr. Paint.

On 7/21/2017 at 4:04 PM, USAFsparkchaser said:

Been watching lots of stuff on YouTube. Still haven't bought an airbrush, but am looking at the iwata eclipse from hobby lobby. I typically build F-15,16 modern US Air Force/navy stuff, B-52's all era's and like Vietnam aircraft navy and Air Force. So am wondering what paint would be best? I really don't want to have to mix so have been watching Vellajo YouTube stufff, but have noticed they don't have all the colors I want. Then I saw Flory Models use Mr. Paint. I see and made a wishlist at hobby world-USA.com for these paints. Now I also want to use Migs enamel washes. Can they be used on Vellajo and Mr. Paint? Inputs please. Lots of models in the stash. Thanks for the replies.

Since you didn't even buy the airbrush..

I strongly suggest you to consider GSI Creos Mr.  Airbrush, 0.18mm, it is really really good. It is more expensive then eclipse but worth the investment in my opinion.

Also, I do not know your situation but if you do not have good ventilation, enamels and especially lacquers are dangerous to spray. Frankly for these paints, a dedicated room is something really good to have. I mean at least do not eat or sleep in the room you do spraying :)

My favorite paints have been testor enamels and mr. color with the Mr. Leveling Thinner. This is a great thinner but again it is not so good for your health if you are not careful.    

12 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Also, I do not know your situation but if you do not have good ventilation, enamels and especially lacquers are dangerous to spray.

If you don't have good ventilation, *all* paints are dangerous to spray.  Aqueous paint particulate builds up in your lungs just as much as any other paint.  Lacquers and enamels just carry more odour.

2 hours ago, MoFo said:

If you don't have good ventilation, *all* paints are dangerous to spray.  Aqueous paint particulate builds up in your lungs just as much as any other paint.  Lacquers and enamels just carry more odour.

I agree that all particulates may be dangerous for the lungs but are you aware what that "odor" is? It is mutagens which cause, as the term indicates, mutations on DNA. This may eventually cause cancer. So, it is a little bit more than "just more odor". And it can actually make you high, too. Not that great for the brain.  

Not trying to diminish the need for proper ventilation and / or some form of respiratory protection, the mutagen/cancer issue can be somewhat overstated when it comes to model paints.  You need to look at what the exposure levels need to break into the medical danger levels and then compare that to exposure level during a model painting session.  Overall, the risk level is not as bad as the scare words like cancer and mutagen imply.  Use good ventilation and an organic filter mask if you are using something extremely strong and the safety level is there.

Cheers, Dave

Love Mr. Color and Mr. Paint (MRP). For some reason I suck at airbrushing acrylics.  I use mig and other oil washes over both without a clear coat. The only downside to MRP is price and they are often out of stock here in the US.

Oh and agree with ventilation, I don't know how much the health risk is but they really stink up the place without it.

+On Mr. Color leveling thinner.  You can thin all kinds of paints with it and it makes just about everything spray beautifully.