Blu-tack lifts paint, leaves residue when removing when masking for camouflage

Hello everyone,

When masking camo on my jet models, I found that the Blu-tack has a tendency to remove some of the flat/matt paint that I am masking over, it also leaves a bit of residue upon removal.

I don't want this to happen again on my latest project.

I am thinking that either using a primer or putting a coat of gloss (acrylic clear or future) may prevent this from happening again.

What do you guys think?

Primer might help with improving pain adhesion, but the residue may still remain.  I gave up blue tac and most other forms of masking paint jobs (with the exception of bare metal areas) in favor of just learning to freehand airbrush, it give you the best control, coverage, and detail.  To me, I can frequently tell the difference between an airplane done by hand and one done with some type of masking.

56 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

I find Silly Putty to be safe on Mr Color.

Silly putty is easier to work with.  Blu-tack is stiffer.  Also, are you using genuine blu-tack or a different product? I found The Genuine Bostic blu-tack did not leave residue or lift paint. The products made by other companies would leave an oily residue and in spots would not come off easily.