What's your preferred panel line wash of choice?

Hi again everyone,

What do you guys use as the most effective panel line wash for aircraft?

What can I do to prevent the existing paint from absorbing the wash (and staining the colour)?

Thanks in advance.

Just love Tamiya's panel lines accents. I use them directly over Gunze paints, if these are glossy they would not absorb the wash. If the colours are flat you better to add a coat og glossy varnish or Future before adding the washes.

Artists' oils thinned with Humbrol Thinners or Odorless Turpenoid over a coat of Pledge/Future.  Add a bit of Windsor & Newton Liquin to speed drying and get super- even coverage. The glosscote protects the base colors well.

A smooth, glossy surface is key. For panel lines, a smooth paint finish is very much in the application of the paint.

I use Vallejo washes and India Inks. Both are available in a variety of colors, but Vallejo is more readily color-matched.

I'm a firm believer in using the mildest wash finish that works. The idea of ruining a finish by damaging it with an oil or solvent doesn't sit well with me. It still needs a thin gloss coat. Not fond of Future so I use Testors glosscoat. It's not needed to protect the paint, it's needed to even out the rough finish of dull paints so that they will not wick up the wash. My wash is made of a bit of lamp black water color from a tube, dissolved in tapwater, with a tiny drop of detergent. The detergent breaks the surface tension of the water so it disburses instead of collecting in droplets. Finally, I airbrush the wash onto the surface. Better coverage, and far less mess plus dries more quickly. When COMPLETELY dry - maybe a couple hours, the surface can be wiped down with a paper towel slightly damp  with water. If a cleaner finish is desired, wipe it down with Windex instead of water. Voila ! seal with semi gloss clear.

Edited by fool on the hill

I recently tried Tamiya accent line washes and have had the best success with them of any other method I've tried.  Super easy ... apply over a gloss coat of future or Tamiya clear gloss, let them dry, then wipe excess with Turpenoid or similar odor-less clean-up type product and man... awesomeness on the panel lines. 

Edited by bikerider

Yep Tamiya is the new king around here - used directly over Mr Paint, no gloss coat needed prior.  Easy clean up.  Previously I swore by FloryModels chalk washes but in the US they've become like hen's teeth to find.

I find some washes can have their uses, but overall its a sales gimmick.  Get ahold of some good quality artist oil paints (Rembrandt and Windsor & Newton are pretty good) (some hobby shops sell them just ask), but a local art supply store should be able to help you out then get some odorless mineral spirits (this should usually last you YEARS), then I mix up various washes in little glass or plastic bottles.   The trick is figuring out the proper consistency (maybe check out some youtube videos on the subject?).  Also either a Future or Tamiya Clear X-22 gloss coat is ESSENTIAL, and give it a solid 2 days to dry/cure; the will let the wash flow better into panel and engraved detail. If the wash is too thin it will run and you'll have a hard time getting it to stay in some of the detail (especially if your gloss coat was too thick, I always say that moment when you tell yourself "I should just add 1 or 2 more coats" is your signal to STOP!  If its too thick it won't flow into the recess details via capillary action.  Experiment on a scrap/test/old ruined model to see what works.  Get a lot of makeup sponges from a pharmacy or makeup store (they're usually pretty cheap) and then q-tips both regular store kind, and having the smaller and more narrow and pointed ones specifically for modeling can help if you have funny corners, crevices, angles, etc.  The beauty of working with oils is that what you take off is more important than what you apply, and you can always take the makeup sponge dip it in the mineral spirits and wipe it all off if you aren't satisfied and want to start over.  For me, nothing beats oil paint washes when it comes to range of color, streaking effects, staining from rain and weathering, etc.   In fact, its one of my favorite parts of modeling getting to remove the excess wash and see all that wonderful panel line detail come to life, it really makes the model "pop" and catch the eye.  I know some of the purists will say "but its not on the real planes to such an extent" I would argue otherwise, it also is just a model and using a little artistic license can go a long way.  

Hope that helps

For panel line washes i use Tempera paint. Mix with water and a dash of dish soap. Be careful tho, it Will stain Tamiya flat. Just apply a gloss coat or just smooth the surface with a coffee filter or super fine sandpaper. You can apply it straight to Mr. Color (laqure) and MM acrylics without any issue

Edited by goondman