Hi,

I just finished Polish Navy 1/48 Kaman SH-2G . Made out of the box with small corrections - i added GPS on the right side of the tail (this was mounted on Polish SH-2Gs since 2013 before the dragon). I also made a winch which is not present in KH kit but all SH-2Gs have it.

Painted with cellulose Billmodel paint set dedicated to SH-2G.

BjWz0XX.jpg

9GNKahu.jpg

u8qZmqZ.jpg

pPKPhMk.jpg

RGD29KE.jpg

EhJHbfL.jpg

vlaXuYY.jpg

cKIyBgr.jpg

Vwd8GOA.jpg

Enjoy.

Pawel Okulski

Edited by stakor

Thanks guys,

I want to make another one once Eduard will release all his super seasprite sets. 

22 hours ago, Tank said:

Appears you had some good references.

True... Anything you want :D

Cheers,

P.

Ok that is some superb modelling there. I love that scheme even though it is pretty much one colour. The dragon does it for me though. I now have to pick up one of these kits.

Are you able to share your photos of this helicopter? I am interested in that winch you mentioned. If I don't include it maybe I can say it is out for repair?

So...

1. Fuselage halves shifted. Pins have to be removed to allow correct positionin

hq16u2N.jpg

p9RyvH5.jpg

2. At the front of the fuselage, parts near torque pedal should be slightly sanded at the corners - see Pappy121 excellent workshop at Helicopter Group Build.  

3. Front left window wrong shape. I left it as it is in the model, but worth to know it's not correct.

c2l8Y34.jpg

4. Hoist. I think this should be corrected. I scratched it but you can use a hoist from the SH-2F KH model however you will have to add some elements as well. To place the hoist it is necessary to to shave off top corner of the bulkhead but you have to be careful because of the seat frame. I sanded a little side of the seat to make it thin but once you will use Eduard PE which is thinner it should be easier however I am afraid this can collide with the box positioned above the seat which is present in Eduard PE set. It have to be checked. And of course bulkhead PE part have to be adjusted.

amwyPBb.jpg

5. Interior - I added some elements like fire extinguisher, bench (taken from SH-2F but this is available from Eduard set),

1nLGp2n.jpg 

6. I noticed also some issue on the surface of te fuselage. I am not experienced with 1/48 scale as this is my first model in that scale ( i used to work with 1/72) so maybe this is common technology issue but using calullose paints which are covering excellently with a thin layer this surface issue was visible so I had to put more surfacer. 

uONJDpn.jpg

7 Declas. There are few Polish grammar mistakes... but suppose it doesn't matter for you ;)  Poland has 4 SH-2Gs  and each of them has some difference in stencils and there are some minor mistakes as well. Color of letters and stencils is not correct (see below). 

OrVG6F2.jpg

8. Painting scheme is not correct in the KH instruction. Note below - there is US three tone grey color painting scheme - true that it is not always visible and once I said to a SH-2G pilot that there is two tone grey on the fuselage he couldn't believe  until I have shown it to him ;). Correct paints are made by Bilmodelmakers (cellulose paints).

two3BFs.jpg

trcywUT.jpg

I enjoyed much making this model !!!! :)  

BTW In 2012 I made SH-2G model in 1/72 using resin conversion to Airfix SH-2F so it was nice surprise to have it in 1/48 from Kitty Hawk!

AQ3eArr.jpg

Edited by stakor
  • 2 weeks later...