On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:59 AM, Fishwelding said:

My wife and I have the same strategy: a single, reasonable backpack each mainly to carry something to read or listen to on the flight, INFOSEC-sensitive documents and gear, and some emergency-wear in case the airline loses our big cases.  The cases, containing clothing and stuff we buy there, go in the hold as Boeing, the airline, and probably God intended

Exactly. A couple of books, my travel cigar humidor, some underwear, socks and a clean shirt, the wallet, cellphone charger, car keys (so when we get back its easy to find them) and any kind of trip documents. And some meds like my scripts, Excedrine and immodium pills.

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is pretty old and given the current state of COVID, a bit irrelevant.  That being said, for whatever it's worth, we took a week's vacation in the Munich area just before COVID hit and used the DB extensively.    I found it to be very easy (the main station in Munich had a very large help center where you could purchase tickets after speaking with a consultant - and yes, the vast majority of Germans speak English).   As far as guides, the Lonely Planet forums were very helpful.   Also watched YouTube videos on how to use the Munich U-bahn ticket machines.   

The German rail system is amazing, especially compared to the US equivalents which would be more appropriate in a third world country.  

Can't wait to go back! 

On 8/3/2021 at 7:27 AM, 11bee said:

The German rail system is amazing, especially compared to the US equivalents which would be more appropriate in a third world country.  

I cant argue with that.  I was fortunate to live in Germany for a few years, and to learn the language. Whenever we go back on vacation its like wearing an old pair of comfy house slippers. In some very rare instances, DB will recognize a local municipalities S bahn ticket. (or at least they used to) I was in Hamburg and going to Pinneburg which was about 30 miles away, and served by both DB and Hamburg's S bahn line. I took the DB train as it was boarding sooner (at certain time at night the S bahn slowed down to 1 train every 30 minutes) Anyways, the conductor had no problem with it. Or couldnt be bothered to care, Im not sure which. 

Last time we rode from Paris to Stuttgart we took DB because of my fluency with German. I think next time we might try SNCF just to see the differences in service.

• 2 weeks later...