OT: Smoked Beef Back Ribs

Smoking 2 slabs of beef back ribs today. My honey rubbed them with one of her special rubs. I'm using hickory at 225. They reached 160 after about 2h.

beef-back0.jpg

beef-back1.jpg

Gave them a beef broth splash, wrapped them in pink paper, and they're now back on the grill; I'll probably pull at 190

beef-back2.jpg

Nice - I've done those a few times here.  One of the best primal dishes to fix - steak on a stick.    I get choice or prime beef, cut them into 4-bone segments, put on a modified brisket rub (more like a Montreal) and smoke on 275 for about 4-5 hrs with mesquite, they jiggle when finished usually coincides about 200 deg.    Unlike brisket I don't wrap since there is little or no connective tissue to break down.  Yum, got any more pics?

My flat is usually dry, point is good. Packer is the Prime grade from Costco. Salt and pepper only and always rested for at least an hour usually two in a BBQ cooler.

Cook on a Kamado Joe (egg)...

at 275 straight through to 203.  

at 275 and wrapped in paper when it hits the stall to 203

and I've tried the above at 225 and 230-250 range to mixed results but always pulled after it reached over 200. Maybe pull earlier?

2 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

A brisket takes a lot of practice!

FWIW, here's my approach.

I've had good results doing a similar method....its the Aaron Franklin/central Texas style that's kicking my butt and wallet! The problem with being in Kansas City is its far too easy to go to one of the places around here for burnt ends. 

Ah, I've haven't yet tried burnt end--but it's on my list!  But, the recipes I've seen have you pull the point off and then put it back on the grill while the flat rests...

My recent experiments have been with smoked cheeses and nuts in the cold smoke box of my spiffy new Mak Two Star General!

Edited by dnl42

Those ribs look fantastic, tender, but with a bit of bite.

Not being in the USA, meat selection is the hardest part of BBQ for me. Temperature control comes 2nd as the area I live in is near the coast and therefore quite windy. Its hard work, but its great fun and when you get a good brisket its worth it.