'New' 1/72 Academy F-100D... which plastic in the box?

1 hour ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

...  ESCI plastic inside or something else?

Judging by the extra canopy frame, I assume ESCI (reissued by Revell Germany and  Italeri). Excellent old plastic, excepting the canopy., and in my book, the best 1/72 F-100 out there.

Maybe Academy will follow up with the ESCI/AMT two seater.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Those are interesting markings.  SEA camo, tail codes, and... full size star and bars and USAF markings. 

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Some clarification: The Italeri kit (and the Revell Germany repack of it) is NOT the same kit as the older Esci kit. However, it is obviously based on the old Esci kit, but with some changes. The tell-tale extra canopy bow frame (visible in the photos above although the builder did not paint the frame) shows it is the Italeri mold. Other differences are in the wheels and stores (IIRC). Italeri copied Esci's small detail mistakes, too. The line of little flap covers over the drag-chute lanyard is only on the left side of the real aircraft. Esci mistakenly mirrored this detail on the right side, and Italeri, not knowing about the error, just copied that as well. Still, not a bad kit if you can either overlook or correct those details.

I hope Academy's builder wasn't following marking instructions. The camo F-100 should not have the large national insignia nor the USAF on the wings. Here's hoping the decals are Cartograf and not the stiff, unresponsive kit brand decals. I just built the Academy press-fit F-15E and the Cartograf decals in that kit were outstanding!

1 hour ago, Paul Boyer said:

Some clarification: The Italeri kit (and the Revell Germany repack of it) is NOT the same kit as the older Esci kit.

Thanks, Paul. So I assume that if Academy follows on with a two seater, it will be the Italeri, thus avoiding the ironic canopy mistake that ESCI made (middle canopy frame not in the middle).

Time for me to refresh myself on 1/72 kit bashing using Trumpeter parts, or ... .

Gene K

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, Gene K said:

Thanks, Paul. So I assume that if Academy follows on with a two seater, it will be the Italeri, thus avoiding the ironic canopy mistake that ESCI made (middle canopy frame not in the middle).

Time for me to refresh myself on 1/72 kit bashing using Trumpeter parts, or ... .

Gene K

Gene,

Before you do that, you may want to check out this Britmodeller thread.  LINK

Regards,

Murph

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Before you do that, you may want to check out this Britmodeller thread.  LINK

Thanks ... interesting read, but wish it had gone further with "solutions". In that regard, how did your Italeri intake and   and slat mods work out?

Gene K

18 hours ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

So Academy has Italeri plastic in their box.

Good to know, thanks everyone! :)

It's not unusual, They re-boxed Italeri's 1/72 scale C-130H and CH-47D in Academy boxes for their Domestic market. The new Su-27S kit is the Zvezda kit.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, Gene K said:

Thanks ... interesting read, but wish it had gone further with "solutions". In that regard, how did your Italeri intake and   and slat mods work out?

Gene K

Gene,

It got sidetracked.  Haydn was kind enough to send me a copy of his resin intake, so I hope to get back to it soon; there are several F-100 schemes that I would really like to get around to doing.

Regards,

Murph

• 3 months later...
On 7/30/2017 at 9:53 AM, Murph said:

Gene,

It got sidetracked.  Haydn was kind enough to send me a copy of his resin intake, so I hope to get back to it soon; there are several F-100 schemes that I would really like to get around to doing.

Regards,

Murph

What resin is Haydn's and where can we get them?

21 hours ago, eagledocf15 said:

What resin is Haydn's and where can we get them?

Haydn is a poster over at Britmodeler.  He kit bashed some resin intakes and was kind enough to send copies to me.

Regards,

Murph

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Haydn is a poster over at Britmodeler.  He kit bashed some resin intakes and was kind enough to send copies to me.

Regards,

Murph

Haven't done much posting anywhere since photobucket stole my joy ! :)

eagledocf15 - I have run out of intakes but I am planning to start work on them again in the new year.

Cheers,

Haydn.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:37 AM, mig23 said:

eagledocf15 - I have run out of intakes but I am planning to start work on them again in the new year.

Great!!

Please post here when they are available again for those of us who subscribe to this thread.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • 4 months later...
On 11/25/2017 at 10:37 AM, mig23 said:

Haven't done much posting anywhere since photobucket stole my joy ! :)

Cheers,

Haydn.

Hayden

Did you start production on the F-100 intakes again

15 minutes ago, mig23 said:

Not yet [started resin Hun intake] but I will.

Great -- I need a couple, including one for this (Italeri new?):

5ad4f013e912c_ItaleriF-100F(Copy).jpg.a6a233c63ff8ec52ec0d0ccdd7c654a5.jpg

Gene K

(sorry about dup picture -- can't edit out)

Italeri F-100F (Copy).jpg

Edited by Gene K