Roden C-141 w/Caracal decals

Out of the box with Caracal decals. It's a very basic kit with no interior detail or options. Fit isn't wonderful but not bad either so no constructions issues that a competent kit assembler can't handle. Gray paint is Model Master ADC gray (not AMC gray) enamel. The white is a base of Testors flat white oversprayed with Tamiya laquer gloss white decanted from the spray can and shot through my Badger 150. While the paint scheme looks easy, it took a fair amount of masking including the tricky area around the aerial refueling port and the curve under the rear where the cheat lines meet. In addition to the masking, there are about 6 feet of cheat line and walkway decals. Fortunately, the Caracal decals are excellent, being tough enough to move around without breaking but thin enough to settle down nicely when in place. Except for a dark wash on the wheels, landing gear and fan blades, I didn't do any weathering at all.

Z0p5Nua.jpg

SILqFah.jpg

Uqyr2AZ.jpg

1cbPw7O.jpg

SaAB1Mw.jpg

L7UqQHV.jpg

s4moJpS.jpg

4jxmfX7.jpg

O1cUWGJ.jpg

First airbrushed them with Tamiya lacquer gloss black decanted from the spray can, then Alclad stainless steel and finally a protective coat of Alclad aqua gloss before I masked them off for the rest of the paint job.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:15 PM, ChipJean said:

First airbrushed them with Tamiya lacquer gloss black decanted from the spray can, then Alclad stainless steel and finally a protective coat of Alclad aqua gloss before I masked them off for the rest of the paint job.

Awesome!! Thanks so much!

• 1 year later...

My goodness, what a great looking job.  I am doing the same kit/decals right now and I’d be pleased if mine turns out 10% as nice.  Looks like you need to remove the masks from the fuselage windows.  But other than that,  I bow to you, Sir, bow.

Very nice! A good clean looking build. I'm a huge fan of the Caracal line of decals, you sure did them justice!

I've always been terrified of so many walk way line decals, glad to hear these are easy to use!:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

The gray/white with the blue cheat line was my favorite paint on the C-5A/C-141A. I never crewed the 141 but I've got some "dead head" time on them and loaded/unloaded lots of them when I 

was in the MAC/ALCE. I liked hearing those TF-33's spool up for takeoff and the "wooof" compressor stall every once in awhile when the thrust reverse buckets would open. I've heard several POW's being

repatriated in Hanoi say " that was the prettiest I'd ever seen" when that gray and white A model C-141 taxied up! Was sad to see them being cut up in the boneyard...now along with my old C-5's too. Great job on

a true workhorse! She's gone from the skies but not from old airlifter's hearts.

Cheers....Ron C-5A/B, C-130E, MC-130P 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...