This is a plane I never thought I'd have an interest in building; we age, our tastes change. Wonder if this plane ever flew over me as a youngster growing up in NE Massachusetts only a stone's throw from the Maine border?

Revell 1/72 F-101B, Pavla resing cockpit, Master brass pitot, Caracal decals. Also added MV lenses to the nosegear for the landing lights and to the forward left fuselage window. (just below the cockpit); really adds a lot. 

Also a ton of misc. stencilling from F-105 and F-102 decal sheets. 

sciikLt.jpg

69oyXVQ.jpg

8H7slEV.jpg

WmJYpqo.jpg

z79Crsr.jpg 

V0TI6C7.jpg

k2BRCf7.jpg

JOfn5Ov.jpg

AqoGiHY.jpg

CAl3YzK.jpg

ODoHCyF.jpg

As a former CAF 101 maintainer, I love your efforts. It really is a good kit if you have the patience. Glad you completed it with speed brakes closed as that was normally seen at rest on the ramp.  You've done a great job on it.

Andrew, let me express my highest appreciation for your job.

As you know i passed through those dire straits a little more than a month ago and i know all the challenges that are to be met to get a decent model from this kit.

Btw, how did you manage the cockpit and fuselage halves fitting?

Your one-oh-wonder is much more than that, rather say superlative, also because it's not based on shiny or extravagant markings but on the though, real and business-meaning appearance of a first-line a/c. How came that you decided for an unarmed aircraft? Revell's action feature too tricky? ;-)

I appreciate how you succeeded in placing correctly the u.s

air force stenciling; i really

was too tired and stressed at the time to start a fight between the decal and the sensors, so i gave in to a simpler, lower, placement.

Does caracal provide also the yellow seals for the canopy?

And, btw, pardon my ignorance, what is MV lens you made the landing lights with? I made mine out of shaped clear parts and microscale krystal klear. can't make out that mv akronym.

Again, congratulations and ...happy modeling.

Best ciaos. Bobo.

Edited by Bobo1953
Addition

Thank you both, much appreciated!

Bobo, in answer to your questions:

1) I have no idea why the kit insists on fitting the cockpit the way they do, and it was a little trickier since I was using a Pavla cockpit. Fortunately it went okay; the Pavla 'pit is terrific, and only needed some thinning under the forward floor to fit against the nosegear well.

2) I kept thinking of arming the plane, but every photo I had for that unit showed unarmed planes, and after a while it just seemed to be what I "felt." I've done unarmed Tomcats before as well, so I was okay with that. They DID fly unarmed fairly often....

3) Caracal did not provide canopy seals, no...on the other hand, what they do provide is absolutely fantastic! Only lacking in stencilling. 

4) MV lenses were developed for model railroad builders, I think, and were quickly discovered by model car builders. I used larger ones on my Possum Van for the headlights: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4/3601-3700/gal3689-Van-Desautels/00.shtm

Thank you again! :cheers: