F-14A "Miss Molly" (VF-111): A few questions

Hi!

I’m planning to build a Tamiya F-14 Tomcat. I intend to use the Furball Decals „Sundowner Anthology“ to build „Miss Molly“ from VF-111 in 1989.

I already have the Steel Becah Block 125 upgrade, the vinyl tail stiffeners and will buy the Brassin later wheels.

I have a two questions regarding this specific aircraft during that timeframe:

• ECM blisters: The decal instructions tell me that it hast he blisters under he wing glove. Did it also have the ECM antenna on the beaver tail? The instructions don’t show it, and on the pictures I found of the real aircraft, I cannot discern if it is there or not.
  • AIM-54: In 1989, was the A variant still carried? Or had the navy switched completely to the C by that time? 

Thank you for your help,

Markus

8 hours ago, delayar said:

Hi!

I’m planning to build a Tamiya F-14 Tomcat. I intend to use the Furball Decals „Sundowner Anthology“ to build „Miss Molly“ from VF-111 in 1989.

I already have the Steel Becah Block 125 upgrade, the vinyl tail stiffeners and will buy the Brassin later wheels.

I have a two questions regarding this specific aircraft during that timeframe:

• ECM blisters: The decal instructions tell me that it hast he blisters under he wing glove. Did it also have the ECM antenna on the beaver tail? The instructions don’t show it, and on the pictures I found of the real aircraft, I cannot discern if it is there or not.
  • AIM-54: In 1989, was the A variant still carried? Or had the navy switched completely to the C by that time? 

Thank you for your help,

Markus

Yes, the antenna would be on the tail and yes, the AIM-54A's were still in service and being used in addition to the C's (though you would not put both on the same bird).

• 5 months later...

Hi again!

I am in the middle of the build, and was just assembling the Sidewinders, when I thought about which variant of Sidewinders would be on the Tomcat in 1989.

Would it still be AIM-9H, or already a newer variant (L/M)?

Thanks again,

Markus

3 hours ago, delayar said:

Hi again!

I am in the middle of the build, and was just assembling the Sidewinders, when I thought about which variant of Sidewinders would be on the Tomcat in 1989.

Would it still be AIM-9H, or already a newer variant (L/M)?

Thanks again,

Markus

AIM-9M, the AIM-9H's were out of service by the early 80's and the only time you would see one was for a missile shoot (training exercise).

As a side note, there was no external differences between AIM-9L and early AIM-9M's, later AIM-9M's had a different rocket motor and the only external difference between early AIM-9M's and late -9M's is the rocket motor arming key.

hth

GW

10 hours ago, delayar said:

Thank you very much!

So I could just use the kit parts for the AIM-9M, and also the decals, since there were no external arming keys on the early AIM-9Ms, correct?

Cheers,

Markus

I don't have the kit but if it looks like an AIM-9L you can use it as a AIM-9M, along with the decals.

As long it's forward wings (canards) are double delta, you can use it as a AIM-9M.

7 hours ago, delayar said:

Thank you!

Yes the kit provides also seeker heads for AIM-9L/M.

And I will use the decals, without the red/green markings for the arming key.

Cheers,

Markus

You wan to use the arming key markings for an AIM-9M, the L didn't have an arming key. By 1989 all the L's were removed from service and were only used for missile shoots.

Thanks for all the Information.

And I just found out, that I completely forgot the Sparrow. Seems I have to get AIM-7Ms as well.

If I reserched correctly, the AIM-7E wasn't used anymore.

Well, for now, I will put the already finished AIM-7Es on the model, maybe I will add the correct missiles later.

Cheers,

Markus

5 hours ago, delayar said:

Thanks for all the Information.

And I just found out, that I completely forgot the Sparrow. Seems I have to get AIM-7Ms as well.

If I reserched correctly, the AIM-7E wasn't used anymore.

Well, for now, I will put the already finished AIM-7Es on the model, maybe I will add the correct missiles later.

Cheers,

Markus

Yes, by the late 70's the E's were out of service (replaced by the F) and by the mid 80's the F was replaced by the M. By the late 80's you couldn't find an E if you tried, we used F's for missile shoots.

As for the AIM-54C's, we were still using AIM-54A's also back in 89 so if you want to put AIM-54A's on it you can.

Edited by GW8345
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi once again!

I am now at the finishing stages. However, i have some questions regarding the stenceling, especially about the "No Step" stencils.

The pictures I found of Miss Molly show it from the sides. the forward fuselage and the vertical stabs seem to be freshly painted, with hardly any stencils at all .

http://www.lockonaviation.net/html/showphoto.php?id=7524

http://www.lockonaviation.net/html/showphoto.php?id=7526

http://www.lockonaviation.net/html/showphoto.php?id=7525

Would this also mean that there will be no "No Step" stencils on the top, or were they painted at every repaint duringthat time frame?

Has anyone pictures of the top side of Miss Molly? I am not sure how much weathering would be realistic.

Kind regards,

Markus

P.S: Here is a picture of my Mis Molly so far:

MM_01.jpg

Edited by delayar

Looks very nice so far! I also still have "Miss Molly" decals for a future build...

The pics you posted show "Miss Molly" when the plane and the lady met. There were no weapons on board at all at that event and if it was my build I would portray the plane just like that...

19891200_adw_161621_F-14A__VF-111NL-200_

19891200_adw_161621_F-14A__VF-111NL-200_

cheers

Uwe

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...