Javelin mod "Pop-up Tail Group" ??

Hello. I'm considering a modification to the fuselage of the Guillow's "Javelin" in order to outfit it for gas-powered flight. The directions for creating a pop-up tail group are not clear to me. Would someone please direct me to a resource for modifying the rear tail assembly to become a pop-up tail group, or providing to me a more easily understood set of directions? Thank you.

P.S.

See link below for online directions for the Javelin. I'm referencing the far bottom (right side) set of optional steps - image C.

http://balsamodels.com/translations/603_instructions.htm

That construction, a dethermalizer or DT, is intended to ensure the plane doesn't get stuck in a thermal and fly OOS (out of sight). The stabilizer, or rudder-stabilizer unit as suggested here, are hinged at the stabilizer leading edge. A rubber band would be arranged to pop the DT up at the expected end of the flight (including both powered and unpowered durations). A timer of some sort, a smoldering fuse back in the day, eventually replaced by a clockwork timer, controlled the DT.

As for how to construct and tune the device, including the timer, Google is your friend. You might also try a free-flight forum, such as this, this, and this.. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps...

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That construction, a dethermalizer or DT, is intended to ensure the plane doesn't get stuck in a thermal and fly OOS (out of sight). The stabilizer, or rudder-stabilizer unit as suggested here, are hinged at the stabilizer leading edge. A rubber band would be arranged to pop the DT up at the expected end of the flight (including both powered and unpowered durations). A timer of some sort, a smoldering fuse back in the day, eventually replaced by a clockwork timer, controlled the DT.

As for how to construct and tune the device, including the timer, Google is your friend. You might also try a free-flight forum, such as this, this, and this.. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps...

"Dethermalizer" was the term I needed to search for additional clarification. Thank you so much for your reply and assistance. :worship:

Edited by plane2c
20 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Just saw a squib in the latest Model Aviation magazine for FF bits from RetroRC.

I have no info about the company. Just passing along some potentially useful info. :)

Thank you for the info. I was able to glean some info on kits that are sold with DTs.  I may purchase the Wee Devil and put it together with the included DT before modding one of my own, just so that I'll have a working knowledge of the concept.

Edited by plane2c