The best of... is there a directory?

Hi guys, 

Is there a directory or even a poll of public opinion somewhere where I can find the best kit currently out for a particular bird? 

I have just now read that the best version for the Wolfpack/Syrian engagement F/A-18 would be the 1/48 Hasegawa kit.

If I wanted to know where the best 1/48 F-4J was from, or the best F-105, is there currently a resource that can show that?

I don't mind looking through people's builds because it means I get to admire builders far more skilled than I, and enjoy their journey with them, but I also want to be able to identify my targets early and get stuck in.

Cheers!

Well BEST is a real subjective term in our hobby. What people may think is best might be crap to others. Do you want ease of build or accuracy? Ease of build but so-so accuracy might push that kit into the best category for some people but kill it for others.

As to answer your original question, I don't think a directory of BEST kit exists. I think you are in for a lot of reading on forums like this and elsewhere. Also, the new Kinetic F-18C and F-18A kits are getting rave reviews as a better option for the Hornet instead of the OLD Hasegawa kit. Cheaper too.

There is sort of one for 1/72 scale kits,,,,,,,,but, I don't know of one for 1/48 or 1/32 kits.

For 1/72, there is this http://www.72nd.webs.com/menu.htm

But, it hasn't been updated in a while, so a lot of the newer kits aren't on there. It is also one person's opinion, and as Chris said, there are a lot of varying opinions of "best kit", depending on what is important to each modeler.

Something like the 1/72 site would be cool for 1/32, 1/48, 1/35, 1/700, and 1/350. (and all of the other scales I didn't type out)

I have found it works best to search for the specific kit you are considering, and to ask about it.  Then you can consider what is most important to you. 

For example,

The F-105 in 1/48 ... there is the revell kit (originally monogram) from the 80s, which is not hard to find and is not expensive. It is also pretty easy to build with a low parts count.   Hobbyboss also makes an F-105 in 1/48, it is a modern kit with engraved panel lines, and is more expensive.   It just depends what is important to you.  

Do not be afraid to ask, there are lots of knowledgable people here.

Edited by Kurt H.