New guy looking for a good quality compressor, any advice?

I'm relatively new to building models and I'd like to upgrade from my little Testors compressor and get something that is quality that I'll only have to buy once that'll last me for a long while. I don't mind spending a bit more to get something that will last me a long time and that works great. I'm looking for something that runs quietly, delivers consistent air pressure and has an external tank. I'm painting bigger models like 1/72 KC-135's and E-3's, so I'm thinking I'll need a compressor that is big too. I'm currently looking at the Iwata Power Jet Pro but I'd really, really appreciate any advice and guidance on if someone has something better! 

Edited by Ljmorrow92

Just a note that applies to all compressors:

If you want your compressor last a lifetime, please drain your tank at least once a year. On my cheap compressor, every metal tube was internally corroded, and I've had a reddish-brown soup coming out of the drain tank when I removed the drain plug. I've heard that even a Sparmax tank litterally failed because of corrosion eating thouth the tank. If my current compressor finally fails, I am either going for a Sparmax, or an Iwata compressor.

My first compressor was a small tool compressor with a tank. Noisy as all get-out. I'd open the drain valve near the bottom about once a month, rusty water always blew out.

The Iwata is quiet and tankless. I can have a conversation with my wife with it running, which was never possible with the tool compressor. In normal spraying (1 atm) with a 0.3mm tip (HP-CH), the compressor has about a 25% duty cycle; it will get to 33% with a 0.5mm tip (HP-TH).

I really do not see the need for a tank. BTW, I mounted an airbrush hanger on the side of the compressor frame and use Quick Disconnect (QD) fittings to switch between the airbrushes.

iwata-rig.jpg

I have a Senco 1010 Compressor. While it's not whisper quiet it is also not loud. maybe 65-70db... I have it right next to me and I can have a normal conversation,hear the TV, Radio or Phone while it's running. You can see more of it here  https://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-1-Horsepower-1-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0000AQK78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501424211&sr=8-1&keywords=senco+1010

Mine is 3 years old and has been flawless....

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions! 

Lancer, would one still have to drain the compressor tank if a moisture trap was installed? Or is the moisture trap for air that is being sent to the airbrush? 

Dnl42, I like you QD and hangar idea! I'll probably end up using that! Why do you not see the need for a tank? I thought the advantage of a tank was constant pressure being expelled without the compressor having to spool up and recharging, leading to pressure fluctuations. 

I've heard that theory too. Haven't found it to be valid--highly overrated IMHO.

I am completely delighted with this unit, which is designed as an airbrush compressor.

As for the hanger,  that was a quick hack. It's Iwata's airbrush hanger bolted to the side of the compressor. Just needed to drill 2 holes in the case and attach with machine screws.

I bought an Iwata Power Jet Pro as my 'retirement' compressor three years ago. I use it with an Iwata HP-CS and an Iwata Revolution. The tank helps even out the airflow for me. 
I waited for a deal at one of our local art stores and jumped on it at a sale price.

It's a fine unit.
Cheers

Bill Inglee

dnl42, I'm definitely going to use your hangar idea. Thank you fo showing it off.

billi,

Thank you for your remarks. Only 3 compressors have been recommended and 2 of them have been Iwatas, I like hearing that they're highly recommended. I'm also glad to hear that you've had yours for a while and without trouble. I'm like you, in that I want a "retirement" compressor; buy one and just be done with it for a long while. 

Edited by Ljmorrow92
On 8/2/2017 at 9:57 AM, Ljmorrow92 said:

dnl42, I'm definitely going to use your hangar idea. Thank you fo showing it off.

billi,

Thank you for your remarks. Only 3 compressors have been recommended and 2 of them have been Iwatas, I like hearing that they're highly recommended. I'm also glad to hear that you've had yours for a while and without trouble. I'm like you, in that I want a "retirement" compressor; buy one and just be done with it for a long while. 

Hi,

Late to the party, playing catch up last week after getting back home from Oshkosh. Perhaps take a look at the Grex AC-1810 compressor. It's small and portable but has an on demand feature. When you stop spraying the compressor goes dormant (and maintains psi) until a sensor detects a drop in psi when the airbrush trigger is engaged again. When working at low psi (roughly 12 psi or lower) the compressor will turn on and off during airbrush use. This in no way compromises the airbrush or causes pulsation in the system. What comes out of the hose always stays ahead of the compressor itself. It's a piston design so again,,,no pulsation. It includes a regulator and water trap.

It retails for $199.00 with a 2 year warranty but Grex has excellent customer service. Even if it goes out of warranty Grex will still service the compressor should it ever need it. Generally speaking these compressors will last a very long time. Most cases when servicing is required is if one vibrates off of a table and falls or suffers physical damage other than normal use.

The AC-1810 compressor has an 1/8 NPT thread on it but if you have a quality hose with a 1/4 NPT female thread, the Grex AD6 Adapter (only a few dollars) will work nicely to accommodate. This way any Badger, Paasche or Iwata hose will work. The AC-1810 compressor does come with a nylon hose but no need to invest in another braided hose with the AD6 adapter to accommodate. 

AC1810-A.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a California Air 1610A. it has a 2 gallon Tank is very portable, and pretty quiet.  You can have a conversation while the tank is filling.

it fills to 125 PSI and doesn't kick back on until around 95 PSI, so you can work a while without it turning on and off.

The tank is aluminum I believe, so no rust.

I'm a big proponent of having a compressor with a tank.  I have use the compressors with no tank and never got used to the pulsing, or the heat.

I tried a really long hose (which acts like a tank, sort of) but it still pulsed while running.

Just dump your tank once a week, blow everything out and leave it empty when idle.

I have used it for about 3 years.  No maintenance, no oiling, nothing.  Works first time every time.

Jester

On 7/30/2017 at 9:20 AM, viper730 said:

I have a Senco 1010 Compressor. While it's not whisper quiet it is also not loud. maybe 65-70db... I have it right next to me and I can have a normal conversation,hear the TV, Radio or Phone while it's running. You can see more of it here  https://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-1-Horsepower-1-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0000AQK78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501424211&sr=8-1&keywords=senco+1010

Mine is 3 years old and has been flawless....

I bought one and for the life of me i cant figure out how to actually get everything connected!