Back from Nats, spent a lot but got great bargains, great models the contest room, sci-fi fi and autos were a bright spot to see a lot of.  I always wish there was  more of everything.  I really really like the contest room open till 9pm on Thursday night, an awesome idea!  I was surprised to see none of the new 1/48 Flankers-perhaps everyone is tired of fake news so no Russian aircraft, usually a number of people build the new kits out  real quick for the show, I only saw one airfix p-40 and no airfix Stukas either.  It is inspirational to see other peoples work, I would have liked  more helicopters, I wish Nats was twice a year!  Did I say I really liked the late hours for thursday night already?  I sometimes wonder why some people start with a known flawed kit when higher quality ones exist, my theory is it takes years so by the time the new kit is out its too late.  I wish there was a way to download build detail one very entry that we could read online, some of the work there deserved pages of  in progress pics and details of mods.  Some great models let down by crappy paper signs on bases, seriously can you not at least color the white edges?  some great armor let down by flesh tones on figs,   crappy bases and stands, seriously you spent half your life building a model and you make a crappy base.  One of the most awesome bases I saw was a Gemini spacecraft on a glass marble type earth thing, it really helped his model to "pop"-oh well enough controversy til next time

Edited by DarkKnight

I also enjoyed Nats tremendously! I was hoping to see more of the new Tamiya Tomcats for the special category that was created just for the kit and was kind of surprised to see only 10 (1 was a triathlon entry and 1 was in a "Final Countdown" diorama) total considering there are a LOT of these being made as evidenced on the Tomcat Facebook Group build page.  Anyways, as a 15+ year ARC lurker and first time Nats attendee, it was great to finally meet some of you in person and learn more about the industry as well as IPMS judging (I was an OJT judge).  Can't wait for next year!

Steve

I was surprised no top gun maverick tomcat,  I can't imagine the hardwork involved in judging and the responsibility, like a super bowl referee for modeling, Some favorites, there was a beautiful B-52 turbofan conversion, what if,  that I thought was fascinating, of course the Berlin Street  battle that was also at World Expo was awesome, I also liked a 1/16 German soldiers and AFV diorama, There was a large scale USS Missouri I liked, however, I do I prefer her in the 1980s return to service version, a great Hunley sub an A7V cutaway, a I think  it was a B-24 on a circular mirror that was great, actually there was a small maybe 1/700 or 1/350 typ VII u-boat I liked, for something so small it was weathered nicely so many to choose from and look it, I only didn't look at 1/72 planes so closely, when you get older you just can't see the little details anymore

It was a great show. I took hundreds of pictures and only scratched the surface. I am always amazed at the models at the nats.  I really must learn how some builders get such good looking canopies.  

I watched a demonstration of mission models paint.  I am pretty eager to try it, the demonstration was very convincing.

My favorite model was a 1/72 p-47 "look ma no hands" ,  I thought it had a very convincing natural metal finish.  

I will post a link to pictures when i get home.

The wife and I are chilling in our hotel room after the awards banquet and model room stampede as everyone packs up.  Had a fantastic time as always.  Saw lots of great models..too many to remember!  The 1/48 PB4Y-2 (using the unobtainium Cutting Edge Resin Conversion Set) was absolutely spectacular.   In the sci-fi categories, this seemed to be the Year Of The Y-Wing.  I saw at least a half-dozen..which was cool, as it's my favorite Star Wars ship.  I didn't enter anything, just enjoyed drooling over everybody's awesome work, caught up with some folks I usually only see once a year, and picked up a few goodies in the vendor rooms.

Of course tomorrow we have to pack up and drive 11 hours back to Michigan, but the Nats was the culmination of a two-week vacation road trip for us, so it'll be good to get home.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Well, I'm glad that you guys enjoyed the show. (I'm the fat dude that helped run the raffle desk.)

Post links to your pictures (I didn't get much of a chance to get them myself).

1 hour ago, Steve N said:

The wife and I are chilling in our hotel room after the awards banquet and model room stampede as everyone packs up.  Had a fantastic time as always.  Saw lots of great models..too many to remember!  The 1/48 PB4Y-2 (using the unobtainium Cutting Edge Resin Conversion Set) was absolutely spectacular.   In the sci-fi categories, this seemed to be the Year Of The Y-Wing.  I saw at least a half-dozen..which was cool, as it's my favorite Star Wars ship.  I didn't enter anything, just enjoyed drooling over everybody's awesome work, caught up with some folks I usually only see once a year, and picked up a few goodies in the vendor rooms.

Of course tomorrow we have to pack up and drive 11 hours back to Michigan, but the Nats was the culmination of a two-week vacation road trip for us, so it'll be good to get home.

SN

maybe that was the aircaft I was talking bout on the round mirror?  truly a work of art

5 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

maybe that was the aircaft I was talking bout on the round mirror?  truly a work of art

That was the one indeed - exceptional!  Here are some pics I took of the Privateer.  

rJ7V6Wo.jpg

U0RDC8i.jpg

ABsq9fF.jpg

ptxlCy5.jpg

What an innovative display as well!

1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

That was the one indeed - exceptional!  Here are some pics I took of the Privateer.  

rJ7V6Wo.jpg

U0RDC8i.jpg

ABsq9fF.jpg

ptxlCy5.jpg

What an innovative display as well!

IIRC, it took best aircraft.

14 hours ago, phantom said:

I'm surprised you guys have yet to have nats in Toronto!!!!:monkeydance::deadhorse1:

Your money goes further.

Prolly cuz it's the "IPMS USA National Convention"...now if you Canucks and Frogs would get it together and throw an "IPMS Canada National Convention" I bet you'd see a lot of 'Muricans trek North for it.

1 hour ago, Spruemeister said:

Offutt tour was cancelled. 

Rick L. 

Wow...I'm surprised to hear that. Was it due to lack of folks signing up or did the USAF canx it? I couldn't imagine passing that up if you're a civilian and into military aircraft, that flight line is a real look behind the curtain for regular folk.

Dark Knight, the base isn't judged. The only thing judged is the model itself. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but what constitutes a crappy base to one person is a perfectly fine base to someone else. Same goes for paper signs. As far as starting with inferior kits, there are numerous reasons a modeler would start with a lesser kit instead of a state of the art one. One reason may be expense. Those nifty new kits cost a lot of money. Another reason is that maybe they enjoy the challenge of building a lesser kit. They may even enjoy building some of the older kits just because. I have built a couple of Tamiya Tomcats, yet I still have 30 Monogram Tomcats and intend to build every single one. That's the joy of the hobby. You do it the way that brings you enjoyment. To win a contest is great, but if that's all you're doing it for, you may be missing something. I experienced that myself. I love your passion and I'm glad you enjoyed nationals. It was a very fun time. Might I suggest you ease back on the content of the post. It came across as very judgmental and opinionated. I know it probably wasn't meant that way, but that's the feel I got when I read it.

Edited by Darren Roberts
13 hours ago, thegoodsgt said:

What model won Best of Show? Let's give credit where credit is due!

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

USS Potaka & airship got best ship & popular vote....

P1030589.jpg

This scratchbuilt pipelayer got the Judge's Grand & best automotive....

P1030584.jpg

DarkKnight said, " I only saw one airfix p-40."

I'm NOT surprised.  It is the best P-40B/C on the market, ...... today.  That said, still has many unfixable errors.

Maybe Revell or Tamiya will make us one worthy of the Nats!!

Bo