16 hours ago, KursadA said:

I really wanted to do a Constant Peg sheet when the two books on the unit were published in the last few years - the problem is that a lot of those interesting camouflage schemes are totally undocumented (and quite possibly one-off applications) and photos are still very rare. Apart from the handful of simple, single-color schemes; it would be difficult to add enough options to the sheet to make it into anything more useful than a sheet of generic markings.  

Yes, I figured that more references would be the problem. Hopefully more photos will come out one day, glad to hear you considered it!

• 2 weeks later...

Kursad, something to consider: Various sizes of full-color U.S. national insignia printed over a silver (aluminum) surround. In the 1950s to '60s, insignias on arctic red (sometimes Dayglo, later international orange) had unpainted aluminum surrounds. Same goes for the USAF lettering on the wings. These were sometimes in an unpainted block, but sometimes each letter had it's own "halo" of unpainted aluminum. When I made my VC-137A a few years ago, I had to apply individual letters to solid aluminum trim film, then when dry, carefully cut the letters with surrounds from the sheet. Pain in the tukus.

haloweb.jpg

No article, so no link. It's one of those things I never got around to completing. The model was done, photos taken, and article half-written. But I just lost enthusiasm while I was busy making the Rickenbacker bass book. One of these days I hope to finish it. 

VC-137Asmallweb-copy.jpg

9 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Kursad, something to consider: Various sizes of full-color U.S. national insignia printed over a silver (aluminum) surround. In the 1950s to '60s, insignias on arctic red (sometimes Dayglo, later international orange) had unpainted aluminum surrounds. Same goes for the USAF lettering on the wings. These were sometimes in an unpainted block, but sometimes each letter had it's own "halo" of unpainted aluminum. When I made my VC-137A a few years ago, I had to apply individual letters to solid aluminum trim film, then when dry, carefully cut the letters with surrounds from the sheet. Pain in the tukus.

haloweb.jpg

Talk about a perfect fit for the "Caracal Models Basics" line.  Do one sheet of various sizes stars and bars and one sheet with USAF and US Air Force.  1/72 first since it's Paul's idea and 1/144 next for us micron scale builders.

18 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

No article, so no link. It's one of those things I never got around to completing. The model was done, photos taken, and article half-written. But I just lost enthusiasm while I was busy making the Rickenbacker bass book. One of these days I hope to finish it. 

VC-137Asmallweb-copy.jpg

Paul, that's a gorgeous eye catching build! Very nice!

@Paul, What Hooker said!!! That is one gorgeous VC-137A build, especially since I know the work that went into the modifications.  A stunner! 

@Kursad, I second Don's remarks about it being an excellent subject for the basics line. I know other manufacturers have released silver circles in various sizes for RCAF roundels and some white trimmed US stars and bars, but not the USAF wing titles or buzz numbers as Paul suggests.  

We might all need to dig through our vintage aviation books and photos to see what types and sizes of markings would be eligible for the silver border treatment.

Edited by Dutch
On 8/26/2018 at 8:19 AM, Dutch said:

@Paul, What Hooker said!!! That is one gorgeous VC-137A build, especially since I know the work that went into the modifications.  A stunner! 

@Kursad, I second Don's remarks about it being an excellent subject for the basics line. I know other manufacturers have released silver circles in various sizes for RCAF roundels and some white trimmed US stars and bars, but not the USAF wing titles or buzz numbers as Paul suggests.  

We might all need to dig through our vintage aviation books and photos to see what types and sizes of markings would be eligible for the silver border treatment.

I provide these silver-trimmed insignia and USAF titles in every Caracal sheet that has options which require their use - the H-21 sheet, the U-2 sheets etc. all have such markings. I agree that it is a great idea for the Basics line. I already have a bunch of US national insignia sheets in the works and will plan other sheets with the silver borders.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, KursadA said:

I provide these silver-trimmed insignia and USAF titles in every Caracal sheet that has options which require their use - the H-21 sheet, the U-2 sheets etc. all have such markings. I agree that it is a great idea for the Basics line. I already have a bunch of US national insignia sheets in the works and will plan other sheets with the silver borders.

Stellar idea Kursad!   There is a reason you're my go to decal guy!   You listen to us.   :thumbsup:

Edited by Drifterdon
  • 2 weeks later...

A 1/72 version of the RF-84F sheet is a great idea and I will definitely do it as soon as possible.

Skyblazers is also something that I would like to consider sometime next year. Keep the suggestions coming, every single one is going into the ideas notebook..

Edited by KursadA

Skyblazers would be great, but might be a larger subject than you may think. I'd have to dig in references, but the "Skyblazers" duties shifted around through different squadrons over the years, especially in the F-84G era. Then there were at least two different marking schemes on Sabres, and two slightly different schemes on Huns. There was a 1/72 sheet by Aerodecal back in the '70s on the later schemes on F-100s. Cutting Edge did a 1/72 sheet on one of the Sabre schemes, and since then Italeri has repackaged the Kinetic 1/48 Sabre in the late Skyblazers scheme. Let me know if I can be of help.

On 4/23/2018 at 6:19 PM, Gator52 said:

KC-10s would be great in 1/144; I don't believe the original hi-vis scheme nor the Shamu scheme have ever been done by the aftermarket.

Jonah

Yes!!!!!!!!!

Here's another subject that I think is needed: U.S. National Insignias for Navy aircraft of the late '40s and early '50s. This would be the type that is just the white star and red-and-white stripes - no blue because they were applied to gloss sea blue aircraft. Microscale did a sheet decades ago but it was about half taken up with the relatively rare "gray" versions of the insignia. Need several pairs of several sizes to be handy.

On 9/12/2018 at 12:43 PM, Paul Boyer said:

Skyblazers would be great, but might be a larger subject than you may think. I'd have to dig in references, but the "Skyblazers" duties shifted around through different squadrons over the years, especially in the F-84G era. Then there were at least two different marking schemes on Sabres, and two slightly different schemes on Huns. There was a 1/72 sheet by Aerodecal back in the '70s on the later schemes on F-100s. Cutting Edge did a 1/72 sheet on one of the Sabre schemes, and since then Italeri has repackaged the Kinetic 1/48 Sabre in the late Skyblazers scheme. Let me know if I can be of help.

I have the Aerodecal sheet, it can still be fond on Ebay now and then, I also have the Sabre's Cutting Edge sheet.

TwoBobs did a very nice 1/48 F-100 sheet, but no scale down to 1/72, Fujimi have also repackaged their F-86F in Skyblazers colors.

The F-84G had very basic markings and JBOT did a F-80 1/72.

So, to be more precise we need a brand new F-100 Skyblazers sheet, with either the fin flash or the starred tail, or both, in 1/72 scale.