On 2/5/2020 at 10:13 AM, Dutch said:

And here's a 61st FIS F-89D circa 1955. That long crew entry ladder answers my previous question about not stepping on the ptiot tube!  I think that these sharkmouth marlkings were incorrectly done in the Revell #4548 1/48 F-89D/J Scorpion kit. K/r, Dutch

002.JPG.ed65bbe9112bbd7e0999ad5d9f979a8f.JPG

always loved that scheme! Also hoping for some ADC grey Scorpions as they’ve yet to be done!

I had both the Revell 1/48th Scorpion kits in the stash, still have the F-89D/J and I made the F-89C a few years ago using the kit decals. The end result was pretty impressive however I had no choice but to use the kit decals and they were very hard work, they had the consistency of wrapping cellophine and the decal solution that I used had no effect upon them at all. I would definitely buy a set for the F-89D/J however these kits were released a long time ago so not sure what demand there is out there for them.

Michael

1 hour ago, f5guy said:

They sure do make some neat subjects, but after having battled with their 72nd A-12, I swore that I'd never buy another one of their kits 🤬Fred K.

Coincidentally I photographed the A-12 full scale mockup Saturday...  :banana:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dutch

Sorry for the late reply, it has been a busy few weeks on my end and have not had the time to check in as often as I like. Habu2 is correct, the only kit of the YF-17 is the Anigrand kit in 1/72. I have this in my stash but have not yet had the chance to build it. It looks decent in the box but the best judge would be to build this baby hornet. I recall that there are some build articles online.

The photo that you posted is great! I built the NASA F-15 in that photo using the prototype Hasegawa kit in 1/72. It is an early build of mine so the photo is not very good.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

🍻

NASAF15A.JPG

Mike,  Way to go!  Nice build of an iconic aircraft in a beautiful paint scheme!  I have long desired to build both the NASA F-4B & F-15A as well.  K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
15 hours ago, Griffin2929 said:

If you ever do another 1/48 F-111 sheet, I'd love to see a set of markings for one of the F-111Bs that were tested for use by the U.S. Navy. 

Seconded! 👍

These early prototype sheets are great (YF-16, F-18).

On 3/4/2020 at 7:51 PM, Griffin2929 said:

If you ever do another 1/48 F-111 sheet, I'd love to see a set of markings for one of the F-111Bs that were tested for use by the U.S. Navy. 

Hmm, sounds like another great candidate for the "Early" series.  There are plenty of interesting early F-111A/B TFX & FB-111A markings.

Edited by Dutch
17 hours ago, Griffin2929 said:

If you ever do another 1/48 F-111 sheet, I'd love to see a set of markings for one of the F-111Bs that were tested for use by the U.S. Navy. IMG_1829.JPG.6e0919a06982fc242155cc75e6b22eeb.JPG

That would be awesome, I have the hanger Pete 1/48 conversion in the stash, but no decals for it.

I have an idea, we need decals for the Mitsubishi F-1,T-2, F-2 and for the Kawasaki T-4. There are tons of paint schemes out there for them.  I know there are some decal sheets out there but they are hard to find and harder to get.

Hi,

Maybe Caracal could make a sheet for the Boeing 307 Stratoliner in 1/144?

I knew it was a very significant aeroplane as it can be seen as the grandfather of all of Boeing's pressurised airliners.

Now there is an injected plastic 1/144  scale kit by Roden.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ROD339?result-token=6I6qJ

The description of the kit at Hannant's taught me some fascinating new facts about the Stratoliner, like that it was the type used to fly the surviving Doolittle Raiders (and indeed Jimmy Doolittle himself) out of China.

I was also amazed that they were used in France until the mid-1970's.

There were very few built but they could easily fil a sheet with the pre-war TWA and Pan Am schemes, the USAAF C-75 scheme, the post-war TWA and French schemes.

This is what the French schemes looked like:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FR4484?result-token=6I6qJ

and

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FR4496?result-token=6I6qJ

I find it absolutely facinating that they may been seen together with 707's and 747's at places like Orly in the early 1970's. 

Cheers, Stefan.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:19 AM, Vince Maddux said:

I have an idea, we need decals for the Mitsubishi F-1,T-2, F-2 and for the Kawasaki T-4. There are tons of paint schemes out there for them.  I know there are some decal sheets out there but they are hard to find and harder to get.

Great idea Vince.   And you'd think the Japanese decals bubba's would have been be all over this.   I know one plane I'd like to see decals and a kit is the Fuji T-1 in 1/48.  Super colorful jet.