I just had to design the Air Transport Command badge for the C-46 sheet I am working on - I will definitely include a couple common versions of it as part of the USAF Command Badges series which will be part of the Basics line.

2 hours ago, KursadA said:

I just had to design the Air Transport Command badge for the C-46 sheet I am working on - I will definitely include a couple common versions of it as part of the USAF Command Badges series which will be part of the Basics line.

Speaking of C-46’s, did you see Valom announced a new 1/72 C-46?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235090883-172-curtiss-c-46-commando-by-valom-box-art-release-in-2021/

Edited by Corey

Yes, I have seen the news about the Valom C-46: the decals should be ready before the kit is available. The WB kit is dimensionally very accurate and I don't need to change the designs to fit any kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Kinetic has announced a new 1/48 Fiat G.91...  We can see what’s in the kit but I bet they don’t have markings for a US Army evaluation G.91.  I’m sure there’s plenty of other G.91 schemes to fill out a decal sheet. :cheers: & happy modeling, Bryan

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

1248701139_FiatG_91R-11.thumb.jpg.858883625f4c541d394cde0d1ad92e20.jpg

I've got an old ESCI Gina in the stash with the intentions of building this very plane.   Only thing that's held me back is lack of decals.   I've tried to cobble them together but just not getting it done.   A Caracal decal sheet for the new Gina with these markings would be just the ticket!

Edited by Drifterdon
2 hours ago, picknpluck said:

That aircraft is the ONLY thing that makes me have any interest in building a Gina!

They (Kinetic) also know this is probably the only way to sell more than 27 of their new Gina kit in the US, so it is highly likely they will include it in the kit decal sheet.

Edited by KursadA

065.jpg.3a6217cba9d55ea83ca0ac355241d845.jpg

148483.jpg.a0bccb87f0551487da7ff589cd559f7f.jpg94987Army.jpg.c55b6fe283702725963f1c40bc89ce19.jpg

The three contenders for the US Army Close Air Support contract in early 1962.  Fiat G-91, Douglas A-4C (Modified with dual main u/c.) and the Northrop N-156F (F-5A).  Needless to say, the Key West agreement between the services put a kabosh on the whole project.

According to the A-4 Skyhawk Association: "In 1961, two A4D-2 Skyhawks (BuNos 148490 and 148483) were borrowed by the U.S. Army and modified by Douglas for evaluation in competition with the Northrop N-156 (predecessor of the F-5) and an Italian Fiat G-91, for operations from unimproved airfields near front lines.  Modifications of the Army Skyhawk included large dual wheels on beefed-up main landing gear mounts; a heavier wing to house the larger landing gear; and installation of an A-3 Skywarrior drag chute.  Flown by Douglas test pilot Dru Wood, the modified "Army" Skyhawk won the competition, but the project was canceled when Army funds were diverted to helicopter procurement."

Edited by Dutch
add detail.

The Rafale has seen some really colorful commemorative schemes over the last 10 years, and I’ve been surprised that the European decal manufacturers haven’t stepped up to offer them in scale. There have been a few, but they haven’t kept pace with the Armée de l'Air.

Kursad, if your current Rafale sheet sells well, you might consider another with schemes like these.

https://flic.kr/p/2d421s5
https://flic.kr/p/QZGQGS
https://flic.kr/p/HkwYEc
https://flic.kr/p/Qq7shv
https://flic.kr/p/bYHvt9

There is so much more than just special schemes. Honestly they can be a bit booring, not because they are not nice and beatiful, but solely because they are only used for display (PR) 

The majority of military airplanes are the ones flying the everyday missions, and these are what I belive most of us get inspired by. In this context I like the mix Kursad currently have and practice. 

something to consider in the future as your slowly grow your 1/144 scale decal line.   Minicrafts DC-4 and DC-6 kits are generally decent kits and decals for C-54's and C-118's would be really nice.  Slow sellers likely however. 

15 hours ago, jenshb said:

Don't want to rain on Kursad's parade, but Syhart Decals has a lot of the Rafale special colour schemes in decal form.

True, but only a small selection of the schemes we've seen in service. 

4 hours ago, aircal62 said:

something to consider in the future as your slowly grow your 1/144 scale decal line.   Minicrafts DC-4 and DC-6 kits are generally decent kits and decals for C-54's and C-118's would be really nice.  Slow sellers likely however. 

I have suggested this to Kursad awhile ago, but I will double tap aircal62's suggestion of reducing the three current 1/72 C-54 sheets to 1/144.  The DC-6/C-118 would require some new artwork, but the color schemes are pretty generic.  The Minicraft kits are reasonably accurate, build up well, and are so cheap that the inspiration of one of your sheets may boost sales for decal and kit. My $.02!

K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Another for a 1/144 C-54/118 sheet.

I imagine this has been suggested in the past, but there's a plethora of low-viz grey schemes for the A-7E circa the 1980s, like these. Some have dark grey markings, others light grey. Good stuff! 

a7e.jpg

a7e2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...