1 hour ago, skyhawk174 said:

Speaking of C-46 schemes, any chance of JASDF markings? I think those are some of the best on the C-46.

Chris, The first three or four boxings by Platz all featured JASDF decals.  It's only this last year that they are reboxing with WWII & modern USAF markings. K/r, Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Chris, The first three or four boxings by Platz all featured JASDF decals.  It's only this last year that they are reboxing with WWII & modern USAF markings. K/r, Dutch

that only works for the 1/144 kit.  I’m not sure there is much in 1/72 for the JASDF C-46.

Ah so, desuka!  Right you are!  Flying Papa's decals (OOB?) had some and I think MYK did some as well, but they are very difficult to come by. For that matter, the RoKAF schemes are also nice.

Edited by Dutch
3 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

The NASA markings are available from another decal manufacturer so Kursad will probably want to skip those.  

I know Dutch, another dead baby seal but at least I didn't say who.

There’s been tons of baby seals killed by now. I wouldn’t mind some decent cartograph printed NASA S-3 decals though but who knows

1 hour ago, achterkirch said:

There’s been tons of baby seals killed by now. I wouldn’t mind some decent cartograph printed NASA S-3 decals though but who knows

These are on the drawing table as part of a multi-type NASA sheet - I recently ran out of rat posteriors to give about whomever else may be doing a subject.

Edited by KursadA
38 minutes ago, KursadA said:

These are on the drawing table as part of a multi-type NASA sheet - I recently ran out of rat posteriors to give about whomever else may be doing a subject.

You know I was really hoping you would do such a sheet. Thank you for doing such a project. Will there be a T-38 on the same sheet at the S-3?

6 hours ago, Corey said:

I agree with Collin on the test S-3’s!  I like that VX-1 jet with the sinking ship art on the tail.

By the time I was flying Vikings at VX-1, unfortunately these colorful marking were long gone and replaced by a simpler grey/smaller sinking ship squadron marking on the tail along with our call-letters JA in smaller font on the tail as well. While I am partial to VX-1 since that’s my old home, I really want to the grey over white with dayglow orange markings!!!  

Cheers

Collin

@Collin  S-3 question for you.  The area above the sensor operators in the back, is that a frangible fiberglass cover that they can eject through?  I saw on a S-3 build, the modeler called it “a window,” but looking at photos and the S-3 on the Midway, it looks like a opaque or translucent cover.  Is this correct?

thanks!

31 minutes ago, Corey said:

@Collin  S-3 question for you.  The area above the sensor operators in the back, is that a frangible fiberglass cover that they can eject through?  I saw on a S-3 build, the modeler called it “a window,” but looking at photos and the S-3 on the Midway, it looks like a opaque or translucent cover.  Is this correct?

thanks!

It's an actual canopy....covered on the inside with a thin tape blanking out the light. 

I will state this because the SENSO's on the board will want it clarified. In the rear seats of the S-3 Viking, a Naval Flight Officer sat in the right seat (pictured below), and enlisted sensor operator (SENSO) sat in the left seat.  Having flown the P-3 in my later Reserve career.... TACO/SENSO stations being close in a Viking was a much better working relationship than a P-3 tube, where the TACCO/NAV are up in the front (Update II and beyond) and the SENSOS (acoustic and radar) are in the back (In the P-8 I believe put all the parties on "the rail" along the side of the tube....to improve crew CRM).  Didn't matter if it was sub hunting or surface actions....we (SENSO and I in the back seat) could see what the other was doing and it cut down on the back and forth chatter...many times I would just hold up my hand and give him (we didn't have female SENSO's) the number of the buoy I was going to plant and pointed to my screen where I was going to drop it...or where I thought the sub was.  I could look over at his screens and see the buoy "grams", which ones he had tuned up, and see what he was tracking the sub with.  Surface wise I would let the SENSO create the radar picture on his side...while I worked the ESM package (if it worked).  Many times we swapped.  Was a sad day when the message came out saying the S-3 was getting out of the sub-hunting business....I remember exactly where I was sitting in Ready Room Six on the USS KITTY HAWK (we had just cross-decked from USS INDEPENDENCE)...and laughed out loud at my Ops O and CO/XO...saying this is the initial dying bell of the Viking community.  

Sorry....enough sea stories......

In the pic below, you can see the lower portion of the rear canopy between the yellow/black jettison handle and the TACCO's head (well, this is a NASA back seat...don't think JD calls them "TACCO's").  You can see the tape (with a circle pattern) taped in place

It's also a good photo of the small rear window the TACCO and SENSO had...much better than in the B-1B I later flew...that BONE window in the back seat was truly a "day/night indicator"...couldn't see anything out of it.  

Spent many a long flights in that TACCO seat.  In my fleet squadron, if you flew twice a day...you swapped seats between the TACCO rear seat and the front seat COTAC station.  We tried hard to limit front seat NFO hogs....but my first CO was a uber front seat NFO hog.  Being crewed with him meant a long line period stuck in the back seat.  Pissed everyone off....  but luckily I was crewed with the XO and didn't have to worry about it unlike my roommate. 

Cheers

jim_griner.jpg

Edited by Collin
24 minutes ago, Collin said:

It's an actual canopy....covered on the inside with a thin tape blanking out the light. 

I will state this because the SENSO's on the board will want it clarified. In the rear seats of the S-3 Viking, a Naval Flight Officer sat in the right seat (pictured below), and enlisted sensor operator (SENSO) sat in the left seat.  Having flown the P-3 in my later Reserve career.... TACO/SENSO stations being close in a Viking was a much better working relationship than a P-3 tube, where the TACCO/NAV are up in the front (Update II and beyond) and the SENSOS (acoustic and radar) are in the back (In the P-8 I believe put all the parties on "the rail" along the side of the tube....to improve crew CRM).  Didn't matter if it was sub hunting or surface actions....we (SENSO and I in the back seat) could see what the other was doing and it cut down on the back and forth chatter...many times I would just hold up my hand and give him (we didn't have female SENSO's) the number of the buoy I was going to plant and pointed to my screen where I was going to drop it...or where I thought the sub was.  I could look over at his screens and see the buoy "grams", which ones he had tuned up, and see what he was tracking the sub with.  Surface wise I would let the SENSO create the radar picture on his side...while I worked the ESM package (if it worked).  Many times we swapped.  Was a sad day when the message came out saying the S-3 was getting out of the sub-hunting business....I remember exactly where I was sitting in Ready Room Six on the USS KITTY HAWK (we had just cross-decked from USS INDEPENDENCE)...and laughed out loud at my Ops O and CO/XO...saying this is the initial dying bell of the Viking community.  

Sorry....enough sea stories......

In the pic below, you can see the lower portion of the rear canopy between the yellow/black jettison handle and the TACCO's head (well, this is a NASA back seat...don't think JD calls them "TACCO's").  You can see the tape (with a circle pattern) taped in place

It's also a good photo of the small rear window the TACCO and SENSO had...much better than in the B-1B I later flew...that BONE window in the back seat was truly a "day/night indicator"...couldn't see anything out of it.  

Spent many a long flights in that TACCO seat.  In my fleet squadron, if you flew twice a day...you swapped seats between the TACCO rear seat and the front seat COTAC station.  We tried hard to limit front seat NFO hogs....but my first CO was a uber front seat NFO hog.  Being crewed with him meant a long line period stuck in the back seat.  Pissed everyone off....  but luckily I was crewed with the XO and didn't have to worry about it unlike my roommate. 

Cheers

jim_griner.jpg

cool, thanks for the background!  I’d like to hear how you’d model the canopy with the tape on the inside.  Any ideas?

Edited by Corey
11 hours ago, Stephen said:

+1 on the Test Vikings , especially the S-3B development aircraft.

I was thinking "Vikings - the Early Years" sheet...  :thumbsup:

I worked at what was then LTV and have fond memories of walking down the assembly line full of A-7s and S-3s.  LTV built the S-3 fuselage and shipped it by rail to Lockheed where the Lockheed-built wing was mated.

Edited by habu2
tiepoh
5 hours ago, Corey said:

cool, thanks for the background!  I’d like to hear how you’d model the canopy with the tape on the inside.  Any ideas?

Can’t really say I would model the tape. From the outside it looks like a clean grey canopy area (compared to the dirty grey of the fuselage) and I would hit it with a gloss coat to simulate the glass. 

http://www.military-today.com/aircraft/lockheed_s3_viking_l3.jpg

https://pixels.com/featured/united-states-navy-lockheed-s-3b-viking-wernher-krutein.html

Cheers

Collin

On 5/5/2021 at 9:33 PM, Corey said:

You could simply paint the inside of the canopy. But depending on the thickness of the model's canopy itself, this could look out of scale. Safe bet would be, like Collin said, to accentuate the area with a gloss coat.

21 minutes ago, TomTheCat said:

You could simply paint the inside of the canopy. But depending on the thickness of the model's canopy itself, this could look out of scale. Safe bet would be, like Collin said, to accentuate the area with a gloss coat.

All S-3 kits I know if the rear canopy sections are molded into the fuselage in non-transparent plastic.  Only the front canopy and small side windows are molded in clear plastic. 

Collin

22 hours ago, Collin said:

All S-3 kits I know if the rear canopy sections are molded into the fuselage in non-transparent plastic.  Only the front canopy and small side windows are molded in clear plastic. 

Collin

My bad! Please excuse my ignorance. Kindly disregard my previous post >_<

On 5/7/2021 at 4:09 PM, TomTheCat said:

My bad! Please excuse my ignorance. Kindly disregard my previous post >_<

No way, not bad at all!!  No excuse or disregard  needed. We are just swapping information back and forth.

Cheers

Collin