9 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Also, I'd love to add the OA-10 Rescue bird in red, yellow, and blue-gray. Just what is that blue-gray color anyway?

That's where I'm at, too, Paul.  My Academy kit is just begging to be an OA-10 Cat.  And what is that color?

Edited by fessSto
On 5/18/2022 at 12:01 AM, Paul Boyer said:

I'm all for it. I want to do a USAF short-wing Albatross from the Korean War. I've got the Sova kit for it, but I'd like to have specific decals for it. Also, I'd love to add the OA-10 Rescue bird in red, yellow, and blue-gray. Just what is that blue-gray color anyway?

I did an OA10 a while back and used Tamiya Intermediate Blue.  

PBY3.jpg

8 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

But I think (?) that "FRISCO-F" was a Navy PBY-5A. The Air Force's OA-10 that I'm thinking of had insignia red, yellow, and some blue color. Was it the same?

Maybe it was.  I don't know.  It was from an old Microscale sheet, and the Detail and Scale PBY Catalina book has a lone color picture of a similar bird labeled as an OA10.  

4 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

But I think (?) that "FRISCO-F" was a Navy PBY-5A. The Air Force's OA-10 that I'm thinking of had insignia red, yellow, and some blue color. Was it the same?

If you mean this airframe, it's the only one I can find marked up as such. All the other photos I could find for other airframes did not have the red, but I'm limited to what can be found on the internet.

SA10_06.jpg

This is the Revell 1/48 kit in the scheme provided in the box, although it's so inaccurate all the markings are masked and airbrushed.

Jon

OB-924 (44-93224) is usually drawn without red areas. Below are photos I believe from 1950.

Screenshot-2022-05-22-111520-1280x887.jp

Screenshot-2022-05-22-111554.jpg

Screenshot-2022-05-22-111616.jpg

OB-999 is also usually illustrated in the same manner:

xlxnwIB-1-1280x466.jpg

44-33939 did have the red areas. The same photos are variously captioned from 1947, 1948, 1949 and 1952 depending on the publication. According to http://usafunithistory.com/index.html, the 4th RS was based in Guam until September 1949 when it relocated to Hamilton, California, which possibly casts doubt on the June 1948 date for these pictures.

19-3.jpg

OA-10A_Hamilton_Field_1949_4592413494.jp

I think OA-10s were redesignated SA-10s in 1948.

Jon

Agreed, Rod.  Those are amazing pictures, Jon.  I've been scouring the internet for USAF Catalina pictures and this is first time I've seen these pictures.  Thanks for sharing.  And I think you are right about being redesignated SA-10's. 

I already have an MCV-22 design mostly done (it was a matter of designing a set of full-color stencilling), but I have been waiting for colorful unit markings and a conversion set for the enlarged sponsons.

I have an idea.

With the new MENG F/A-18F 1/48 kit, lets do decals for the Advanced Super Hornet, the prototype for the Block III variant. This naturally would include the CFTs and the Weapons Pod.

There is one aircraft that had both:

F/A-18F BuNo 168492 of VX-23.

Based on my research, the aircraft has two schemes with the Block III parts:

-Advanced Super Hornet Demonstrator

-VX-23 SD125

This would obviously need a conversion kit, but what do you think, Kursad? 

U8NVx_7de3uzzQ8cIptyUD8l7AEvXC37d-Lhoo8qBmA (1).jpg

0x0.jpg

us_navy_f-a-18f_super_hornet_advanced_super_hornet_2013_hobby_master_ha5118_scale_1-72.jpg

Edited by Captain Tyler
1 hour ago, KursadA said:

I already have an MCV-22 design mostly done (it was a matter of designing a set of full-color stencilling), but I have been waiting for colorful unit markings and a conversion set for the enlarged sponsons.

Kursad,

One would hope with the popularity of the Hobby Boss 1/48th scale release, Hobby Boss would do the enlarged sponsons and the upgraded avionics antennas.  The HF antenna, the added SATCOMM etc could be included in a future release.  Especially if Japan and Taiwan may buy thru FMS the MCV-22B variant over the straight USMC MV-22B.

It would be nice to see a resin conversion set as well.  ResKit, Eduard, etc could do it and it would sell pretty good.  Hasegawa's USAF CV-22B in 1/72 scale is a excellent kit to turn into a representation of the MCV-22B, as well as the newly released JGSDF V-22.  With some kit bashing from other modern aircraft you could get the correct antennas onto your model.  Especially now that the Japanese kit includes the HF antenna.

Of course this is only in 1/72 right now...and I am a 1/48th and larger builder with these old eyes...LOL

r/Gunny

416085-IMAGE_1-cee05b-original-1643215558.jpg

Screenshot 2022-05-23 142958.jpg

I’m curious how popular the Hobby Boss kit actually is.  It’s quite expensive, molded shut side entry door, lacks detail for the engines (especially the lame “fan” molded as part of the intake), and no provision, or detail, for positioning the engines vertical.  It does have some nice features, like good cockpit detail, folded blades, and stowable wing, but for the price, I think people expected more.  Haven’t seen many built up.

16 hours ago, KursadA said:

Ah! I thought those sponsons were larger/wider/fatter than a standard CV/MV-22!  

Edited by Dutch
4 hours ago, roym said:

Dutch, it's on the Italeri kit sheet kit 1442, so I doubt it's going to happen in 1/72. It can even be bought from Italeri ATM. (I did).

Ah so, desuka! Arigato gosaimas!  Yes, I was really hoping for 1/144 decals also, but if it comes in the Italeri kit or if the decal alone can be bought from italeri, then no need to print it here.  A thousand pardons for asking.