51 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

where when?, when do they announce? am i too early to ask?

Should have been awarded last night at the banquet.

People are traveling, and deflating after 4 days of madness, that's why the communication blackout.

No one officially bid on 2020. Rumor has it Las Vegas may bid later. They are trying to get three years in advance to get better deals. IPMS is such a small convention, it gets beat out by larger conventions that plan further in advance. It will be extremely interesting to see what happens if no bids come in for 2020. They have never had it happen, but it may force the discussion of what everyone already knows...nationals is time consuming for the host chapter. The national organization needs to figure out a way to ease that burden.

15 minutes ago, Rex said:

2019 is Chattanooga, the next time I will be able to attend.

Someone else will need to post 2018 for you.

2 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

2018 is Phoenix Arizona.

Thank you kind sirs.:thumbsup:

Unsurprising.  The National Convention is dying a slow, but inevitable death, because some of the elder members of the society are beholden to a format, structure, and process that are no longer viable, particularly in the information age.  The Nats needs an update to its format, an update to the process for scheduling and coordinating the event, and if it doesn't happen soon, the event is simply going to stop happening.  No bids for 2020 is a huge warning flag.

42 minutes ago, Waco said:

Unsurprising.  The National Convention is dying a slow, but inevitable death, because some of the elder members of the society are beholden to a format, structure, and process that are no longer viable, particularly in the information age.  The Nats needs an update to its format, an update to the process for scheduling and coordinating the event, and if it doesn't happen soon, the event is simply going to stop happening.  No bids for 2020 is a huge warning flag.

I completely agree. I was part of a panel discussion on the state of the hobby because I'm a small, niche, aftermarket company. One of the participants was an editor from SAM magazine and Vlad from Eduard. Both told of how vibrant the European scene is. Eduard makes more in a matter of hours at a European nationals than they do in four days at the US Nats. I would surmise they lose money when they come to the States. The big question is why the difference? I think you hit on a big part of it. It's the old "We've always done it this way, so we'll continue to do it until we fade into non-existence" mentality. The only hitch to having change is the fact that the Nats seem to produce large results (both modeling-wise and economically), so they don't see a need to change. It's short term gain at the expense of long term viability.

Edited by Darren Roberts
43 minutes ago, Waco said:

Another reason is the insane price for venues to host the event, specially in urban downtown areas like LA and St Louis

9 hours ago, viper730 said:

I was under the impression 2020's date would be chosen in 2018 During the Phoenix Nat's

They advanced the choice an extra year to allow more time to get the location booked before someone else.

1 hour ago, Waco said:

41 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I completely agree. I was part of a panel discussion on the state of the hobby because I'm a small, niche, aftermarket company. One of the participants was an editor from SAM magazine and Vlad from Eduard. Both told of how vibrant the European scene is. Eduard makes more in a matter of hours at a European nationals than they do in four days at the US Nats. I would surmise they lose money when they come to the States. The big question is why the difference? I think you hit on a big part of it. It's the old "We've always done it this way, so we'll continue to do it until we fade into non-existence" mentality. The only hitch to having change is the fact that the Nats seem to produce large results (both modeling-wise and economically), so they don't see a need to change. It's short term gain at the expense of long term viability.

I wasn't able to attend this year, marking my first Nats miss since my 1st Nationals in 2012. The lack of information coming out of IPMS during this week as a whole shows how out of touch the event is getting. 

The national website did add a photo album during the week, but as of this moment, I still don't know who/what won Best of Show??

I know the contenders only because someone from IPMS New Jersey bothered to post the winners Saturday morning onto their Facebook page, which was shared to a Facebook modeling group I'm a member of.

This is our organization's showcase event, and crickets...

Maybe we could get excited and shout about at least the Best ofs?

TL;DR: Sad I couldn't attend, even sadder that I'm totally out of the loop because I didn't.

Edited by mec011
58 minutes ago, mec011 said:

The national website did add a photo album during the week, but as of this moment, I still don't know who/what won Best of Show??

The Judges' Grand went to this pipelayer........

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/events/2017Nationals/Auto/IMG_4707.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I don't remember who won the popular choice award, maybe the earlier posted PB4Y?

Edited by Johnopfor

Sorry, I am corrected.

The Popular vote and best ship went to the USS Potaka and airship.....

P1030588.jpg

Judge's Grand & best Automotive went to this scratchbuilt pipelayer.....

P1030584.jpg

Best Diorama and America Strikes Back Award went to this Dauntless at Midway......

P1030583.jpg

Best Aircraft went to this PB4Y Privateer.....

P1030595.jpg

Best Armor went to this Japanese tank....

P1030591.jpg

Best space went to this Saturn V rocket.....

P1030587.jpg

and best figure went to this SS soldier.....

P1030590.jpg

Edited by Johnopfor

I think that's the first time I've seen a Saturn V on display upside down, can understand the logic of showing those rockets.

I wish the show was more compact (as in less days). It makes it very hard to put that many days attending as far as time and money when it really could be trimmed down by a day or more. 

53 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

I think that's the first time I've seen a Saturn V on display upside down, can understand the logic of showing those rockets.

I wish the show was more compact (as in less days). It makes it very hard to put that many days attending as far as time and money when it really could be trimmed down by a day or more. 

I'll be in the same boat starting next year. I won't be vending anymore to help offset the cost, so it will all be on my dime. I think the most strategic thing to do if flying is to try and get a flight that arrives sometime Friday morning/noonish. That gives you time to hit vendors. Saturday can be spent in the contest room, as the vendors begin to break down by noon. You could catch a later flight out on Saturday. That would only give you one hotel night. Depending on the cost of the flight, you might stay until Sunday to bring the flight down. It's pretty expensive. I don't know how guys do it year after year.

13 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

That's not a Saturn V, but  obviously based on one. It looks like a whif based on the Saturn C8 proposal.

Note the SEVEN F1 engines on the first stage, many other differences from a Saturn V