Hasegawa A-4F 1/48

I started this kit in August 2015 to participate in the A-4 Skyhawk Group Build.  There were some inspirational builds completed but I wasn't one of them.  I'd gotten the model up to the painting stage when life took over.  Two kids, coaching soccer, etc.  I'm sure those of you that are parents can understand.  I had some free time this past month and wanted to get this one done.  

This is the Hasegawa kit with True Details ejection seat.  I used Steel Beach for the walkway, glare panel and control surface masks.  I used Eduard masks for the canopy.  The decals came from the Eduard A-4 boxing of this kit.  Weapons are from the Hasegawa weapons sets.  

The pictures I found of this Skyhawk show it to be fairly clean.  

I had the usual challenges with this kit.  Couple of things that didn't come out the way I wanted.  The color decals on the rudder were a challenge.  I used AK weathering washes for the first time.  Not thrilled about the staining on the rear right side that is common to Skyhawks.  Need to practice some more.  Also, the canopy has some smudges on it.  I used Tamiya compounds to polish it and it looked good before I masked it.  Used Tamiya cement to glue it in place and Eduard and Tamiya tape to mask it.  However, the masks were on for about a year and a half.... I tried to polish out the smudges and tried Goo Gone with no success.  Any inputs would be appreciated on how to fix this and avoid it in the future.  I tried to take a picture but the camera wouldn't' focus on the clear piece.  

In the end, I'm happy to have completed something.  

After the Photo Bucket scam, I'm trying IMGUR for the first time.

Rdd08h8.jpg

WoZo0f6.jpg

MsnyOBz.jpg

Uvhsg0m.jpg

k8aPyE7.jpg

geVQPMu.jpg

7eQRynj.jpg

e9DXI7V.jpg

Thanks,

Rodney

Edited by Rodney
On 7/31/2017 at 4:23 AM, CaptainObvious said:

I tried looking for the issues you mentioned but I just can't see any.
Top notch workmanship. You should be proud of how well it turned out.

I tried to photograph the canopy but the camera wouldn't focus on the clear parts.  Can definitely tell in person but couldn't get a decent photo of the problem.  It doesn't look so bad from a foot away in the display cabinet but bothers me none the less.  

Rodney

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2017 at 1:22 AM, DraganChe said:

Great build!

On 9/22/2017 at 12:14 PM, Joel_W said:

Rodney,

A most impressive build of one of my all time favorite Navy jets.  And your photography is really 1st rate with several compositions that really bring the viewer right into the scene.

Joel

Thank you

Rodney