The monogram B-52 has you use it on the inside of the flaps. I think it was also used as a primer on the inside of wing panels and wheel wells on many WWII era fighters, I am pretty sure on at least parts of the P-51B and P-47. 

1 hour ago, fool on the hill said:

Everybody's familiar with zinc chromate green but there's also (I think) a zinc chromate yellow. Where was it used?

The Zinch Chromate Green is actually just the zinc chromate (naturally the yellow colour) mixed with black paint. From what I understand the yellow colour was causing pilots to feel ill so they added black to get the green. I actually make my green my adding black to the little square bottles of testors zinc chromate yellow. None of the green colours that I have tried looks right too me. 

Sean

It was and still used. It is not out in the open as much as it used to be, anymore.

But, for sure, it is under every place that you see Zinc Chromate Green, since the tinting was to call out that a second coat of Zinc Chromate was applied.

The list of where a modeler would paint it depends on the aircraft type and the year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2017 at 8:41 AM, fool on the hill said:

Everybody's familiar with zinc chromate green but there's also (I think) a zinc chromate yellow. Where was it used?

It is still used. It is a primer used after the metal is treated with a surface prep like Alodine or similar. Some components are green, some yellow. depends on what color is on the shelf when the part is painted.

Use references to see what color is apropriate.

Cheers

H.

Once again, Zinc Chromate is not a paint! It is a chemical process.

Zinc powder, various color pigment and clear carrier is mixed to produce a corrosion resistant surface. While almost any color pigment can be used to produce whatever color is desired, in the a/c industry it is normally a light greenish yellow or an apple yellow.

At Boeing, where I spent 28 years, the yellow was applied to surfaces that would not be exposed to the outside like wing fuel cells Surfaces that would be seen like flap cavities got a second coat of the green material. The only reason for the different colors was to indicate to the Q.C. inspectors that a second coat had actually been applied.

The railroad industry used a dark red zinc chromate and other industries also use different colored pigment to produce different colors.

In my early years as an engineer at Boeing the material was mixed in the production area as required and the results varied considerable in color. As production increased it became a purchased item and the color was consistent.

I have been retired now for more than twenty years and I have no idea at all what they do today,

Not to argue with anyone about the two coat process used by Boeing , but in the aircraft industry away from the plants.

Recoating anything with paint  labeled  Zinc chromate gave a number of different hues of green .

We even recoated the uplock ( stud ) in the F-4 main gear with that stuff when it was found to be a bit loose . Never had any repeat problems.  So  yes , it is more than just a few paint pigments....

Cheers, Christian