Hobby Boss 48th P-51D Mustang

Picked up this Easy Build kit and from what I can tell just looking at parts inside sealed bag, it looks pretty darn good.  Likely NOT the kit to choose if you're striving for the 'Gold'; but, if ya want a nice looking representative Mustang, down and dirty, give it a second look.

Bo

8 minutes ago, K5054NZ said:

Are there any glaring issues like the P-40's too-tall canopy?

Well, yeah.  Duh.  2 biggest glaring issues EVER:

1)  "Hobby"

2)  "Boss"

I mean anybody can see that...

(I'm here all night...Don't forget to tip your waitress lol)

10 hours ago, Sabre Freak said:

Well, yeah.  Duh.  2 biggest glaring issues EVER:

1)  "Hobby"

2)  "Boss"

I mean anybody can see that...

(I'm here all night...Don't forget to tip your waitress lol)

LOL!!!  That's normally one to watch for!!  However, as looking at this unbuilt kit in the box and see built ones on line, nothing really jumps out at me, maybe the wheels, but, it looks pretty darn good.  

Fine panel lines,etc.  One I'd choose for a quick build.

Bo

On 7/31/2017 at 7:44 PM, K5054NZ said:

Are there any glaring issues like the P-40's too-tall canopy?

Uh...yeah!  

Watch out for the landing gear!  The way the instructions have you install them would leave them backwards with the oleo scissors (torque links) facing forward.  Problem is, the landing gear legs are "keyed" and installing as instructed would leave your struts at a strange angle.  I had to cut off the mounting tabs and find an alternate mating solution.

If you have any questions...don't hesitate to ask.  Good luck with the build!

Cheers,

-O

• 2 weeks later...

Just got me one the other day like what I saw, however I did notice a complete lack of cockpit sidewall detail and also see the instructions call for the majority of the cockpit parts to be painted in interior green, including the cockpit fuel tank and the radio gear. A couple of nitpicks I have is the separate wing pylons and the fact the sway braces molded to the under wing tanks, but at least this one has the pylons, their 1/72 easy build P-51D doesn't have them.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one up rather cheaply during a sale from one of the online vendors, and just by looking at it in the box, for some reason jt reminded me of the Otaki kit. I have not had a chance to pull an Otaki kit from the stash and compare the two. The HB kit looks like a simple build though. As far as a accuracy??? 

Max Bryant 

5 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

A bit of humor is all.

I see very little humor in it, and it borders on industrial espionage! At least slander at the least. I have little desire for the H.B. kit as I have three or four Tamiya kits and a couple others. Still, I'll probably buy the new Revell kit and the Eduard kit when it arrives. Then I'm done with Mustangs till somebody does a 1/32 scale P51b.

gary

On 28/08/2017 at 5:16 PM, ChesshireCat said:

I see very little humor in it, and it borders on industrial espionage! At least slander at the least. I have little desire for the H.B. kit as I have three or four Tamiya kits and a couple others. Still, I'll probably buy the new Revell kit and the Eduard kit when it arrives. Then I'm done with Mustangs till somebody does a 1/32 scale P51b.

gary

I don't think HB Easy Kit are intended to be in the same league as Meng's, Airfix's, Tamiya's or even Hasegawa's ponies. Easy kits are, well, easy fast and cheap to build, aimed to young and inexperienced modelers, who are more worried about the final product than the accuracy of a kit.

Also, unless I'm very uninformed, the "new" Revell kit is just the old Monogram kit   

Edited by caiotfjr
On 8/28/2017 at 4:16 PM, ChesshireCat said:

gary

Industrial espionage? Who's the perp? Who's the victim?

Slander? C'mon, man!

3 hours ago, seawinder said:

Industrial espionage? Who's the perp? Who's the victim?

Slander? C'mon, man!

must live in the middle of nowhere. Folks are dragged into court almost daily for defamation in public. Industrial espionage is a class A felony in the states, and they are very serious about it. I know of one company that paid out $43 million plus a license fee for every item they sold for eight to ten years (way more than the $43 million). Look at the F18 project alone. Douglas had to pay Northrup over $40 million for intellectual theft of property. Goes on everyday. Slander is serious in court.

gary

On 8/28/2017 at 3:16 PM, ChesshireCat said:

I see very little humor in it, and it borders on industrial espionage! At least slander at the least.

gary

I think this was a response to my comment?

Pretty sure I'm okay.  For it to have been slander it would have to be proven untrue.  Good luck with that Hobbyboss.

Look, it goes to reputation and theirs is bad because too often they release crap.  They earned it.  Don't believe me?  Compare any tread about a new releases between HB and Tamiya/AMK.  Significant disappointment/angst in the former, plenty of joy in the latter.

Jabows a big boy.  I think he gets my humor is directed at the unbuilt plastic and not him.  I'd love to see what he makes of it.

• 2 months later...

In the current FSM magazine there is a review of the latest iteration of this kit with PLAAF markings and the reviewer pointed out an error with the main gear legs.  He pointed out the olio scissors are molded on the front of the gear legs and because they are keyed, simply swapping them around won't solve the problem.  I checked my older kit and found the same thing, funny how, apparently, no one seemed to pick up on that.

56 minutes ago, afspret said:

...I checked my older kit and found the same thing, funny how, apparently, no one seemed to pick up on that.

Um.....

On 8/2/2017 at 6:25 PM, oortiz10 said:

Uh...yeah!  

Watch out for the landing gear!  The way the instructions have you install them would leave them backwards with the oleo scissors (torque links) facing forward.  Problem is, the landing gear legs are "keyed" and installing as instructed would leave your struts at a strange angle.  I had to cut off the mounting tabs and find an alternate mating solution.

If you have any questions...don't hesitate to ask.  Good luck with the build!

Cheers,

-O

3 hours ago, oortiz10 said:

Um.....

what I meant was how I couldn't find any reviews elsewhere that mentioned this and your entry here was the only one I've been able to find that identified the issue, I just forgot to read back over all the entries in this thread first.

No worries. My post was tongue in cheek. I meant no disrespect. 

It turns out that I did a little research on the gear as my build was going together, but I didn't find anything either. I'm not a rivet counter, but I'm glad I caught and fixed the problem on my project. 

Good luck with your build. Happy modeling!

Cheers,

Omar

no prob

I went looking for aftermarket Mustang landing gear and all I could find was two sets from Scale Aircraft Conversions, one each for the Tamiya and Hasegawa kits.  Wonder if one of them will work, or maybe now that I think about it, if I can swipe the gear legs from a Monogram kit that's buried somewhere in my stash?