A huge part of any resource like ARC is the ability to go back and look through reference photos, past builds, in-progress threads, etc etc.

At the moment around 90% of these are completely useless to me (and the average punter) because of photobucket's new hosting restrictions. I'm wary of sounding like a broken record because I'm sure the moderating team are hearing the same complaints over and over.

What are we able to do to fix this? And even if there is a solution going forward, what does that mean for the many hot-linked photos that span more than a decade?

It's dead.  There is no other way around it.  Each and every Photobucket user would have to go back and manually migrate each and every photo from their PB account to a new host site, then manually go back and remove each and every dead link and replace it with the new link from the new host.  That ain't happening.  Not on any of my old stuff. I have a life that demands to be lived and I won't spend a month trying to restore images that 1 out of a 1,000 users might find useful.  I really wish it wasn't this way, but it is.  Photobucket is hereby awarded the Grand Master Thread Killer award par excellence.

Rick L.

1 minute ago, Spruemeister said:

It's dead.  There is no other way around it.  Each and every Photobucket user would have to go back and manually migrate each and every photo from their PB account to a new host site, then manually go back and remove each and every dead link and replace it with the new link from the new host.  That ain't happening.  Not on any of my old stuff. I have a life that demands to be lived and I won't spend a month trying to restore images that 1 out of a 1,000 users might find useful.  I really wish it wasn't this way, but it is.  Photobucket is hereby awarded the Grand Master Thread Killer award par excellence.

Rick L.

Mate that's such a shame to hear that your images won't get the chance to be shared, but I understand. 

I'm sure as we speak there's a workaround being created, maybe from a more computer engineering forum.

Or can we (as ARC) ask persmission to allow hot linking to the website for a day, while we back everything post-2017 up to an independent server? I don't think that's unreasonable? 

As it stands, if there's nothing at all we can do, we're an absolute shell of a "resource centre"!

Making a backup image of pages with hotlinks won't capture the images, only the dead links to those images, so you're no better off.

As Rick said, it is unrealistic to expect people to go back and rehost images and rewrite links, that just ain't gonna happen.

So many great articles, threads, and great builds no longer have their pictures attached. Its quite staggering the number when you go looking. Completely ruins the whole effort by the author/builder. Irritating to say the least and a bit sad when you consider the permanent loss of these great (...once great) resources.

You can still go to PB and see all your pictures. You can also download your whole library to your computer with one mouse click. Then, once you have found a new hosting site, you can download them there, for reposting. That's what I'm doing, using Flickr.

Chris

How did you download you "Bucket" ?

I just tried using 2 of the methods provided  (1) Download album and (2) Share Library to another source.

#1 Download bucket did not respond, clicked on the "I'm not a robot" icon and hit download with no response, Method #2 was not used as I do not want to transfer this to FB.

What's the trick?

A few weeks ago I couldn't even view my photo's at all.

Curt

Edited by Netz

Same here..when I tried downloading my albums, I got to a box saying "preparing your download," which just sat there spinning its wheels.  I let it go for a couple hours and gave up.  Fortunately all I used PB for was forum posting, and everything I had there was already safely already on multiple storage devices (and in better resolution.)

SN

Now that you ask, I can't really remember. I think I just clicked on the " download album " and waited. It did take a while after the " I'm Not A Robot " crap but it did go.

Chris

The whole thing still feels unbelievable. The amount of work I personally and we all collectively have lost is just mindblowing. 

Surely I will create a new account for my new photos be it imgur or whatever but it doesn't change the fact that I've lost a LOT and given the limited time we have for our hobbies there's no way I can recreate links for my old threads. Shame. Even bigger shame that I've lost a huge  amount of information from other people's builds. 

No wonder I lost my newly found mojo. Greedy Bastards.

On 8/3/2017 at 7:03 PM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Have they (PB) had any response to all the fallout?

Photobucket addresses complaints over new policy that charges heavy users $400

Denver photo-sharing site says it needs to find “sustainable business”

By Tamara Chuang | tchuang@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: July 6, 2017 at 7:00 pm | UPDATED: July 13, 2017 at 9:59 am

Denver-based Photobucket on Thursday said that a side business discovered by customers long ago is not sustainable.

But 75 percent of Photobucket’s costs originated from “non-paying users leveraging 3rd party hosting,” Corpus added. And it resulted in “zero revenue.”

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/06/photobucket-complaints-over-charging/

and

Behind Denver-based Photobucket’s unpopular decision to go from free to $399

Denver’s once innovative photo-sharing site is a skeleton of its former glory

By Tamara Chuang | tchuang@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: July 16, 2017 at 12:01 am | UPDATED: July 16, 2017 at 12:33 am

Corpus said Photobucket started notifying users in early June but admitted many emails bounced or were never opened. Discussions to address customer outrage are ongoing.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/16/photobucket-fee-hike/

13 hours ago, janman said:

The whole thing still feels unbelievable. The amount of work I personally and we all collectively have lost is just mindblowing. 

Surely I will create a new account for my new photos be it imgur or whatever but it doesn't change the fact that I've lost a LOT and given the limited time we have for our hobbies there's no way I can recreate links for my old threads. Shame. Even bigger shame that I've lost a huge  amount of information from other people's builds...

This is my biggest issue too. There are TONS of absolutely phenomenal build, how-to, research, and review articles that are now completely ruined because the photo links are lost ("a picture says a 1000 words" so the saying goes). Some of these articles are/were quite old and some from sadly deceased members of the modeling community. We modelers have lost a tremendous amount of research and expertise.

Sad really.

Was the customer backlash expected?

Corpus [PB CEO] paused. For 12 seconds.

“No,” he finally said.

That is a management team that needs replacement.

The CEO claimed email notifications went out around July 7. Did anybody here get a notification? I didn't.

16 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That is a management team that needs replacement.

The CEO claimed email notifications went out around July 7. Did anybody here get a notification? I didn't.

Me neither

10 hours ago, southwestforests said:

That does kind of jump out of the article with a "Whaaaat??????".
One does wonder, one does wonder.

Indeed. The guy is either way out of touch, or super arrogant.