Modelling necessities... on the cheap!

Hi gang,

I've just wondering if you have any thoughts on a group post, going through and stating anything you've been able to substitute for anything else in the past.

Some examples;

Rather than buying Tamiya ultra fine sandpaper, I can buy an enormous sheet of 1200 grit for 94c at the hardware store.

Rather than buying expensive sanding blocks, wrap your sand paper around a nail file and voilâ.

Rather than using super fine tweezers to position small parts, you can use a toothpick with a small ball of bluetack.

I think it may also be possible to use a syringe (free from the chemist if you ask for an insulin needle) as a paint dropper for thinning and mixing.

Feel free to jump in!

The cosmetics aisle has sanding files or emery boards. But especially look for the buffing sticks. You can use the buffers to get very smooth surfaces. Many hobby shops carry the same tools, so you can see what to look for and to compare prices.

Cotton buds are also available in the cosmetics aisle. I get big ol' boxes of 300. There are 3 varieties I'm aware of. In the cosmetics aisle they'll have either a rolled paper "stick" or a plastic tube. I now get the plastic variety and save the tubes. I've seen a Master Builder(TM) use the tubes to make turnbuckle bodies by stretching them over a small flame, like you would with sprue. While I haven't yet done that, I have used the as-is and stretched tubes for various purposes on a couple of builds. There's also a long version that has a single cotton bud on a wooden stick. There are actually for medical purposes, but the long stick can be valuable for getting into tall bottles. I use these somewhat sparingly.

You can also get non-sterile cotton pads, which are useful for wiping down models with isopropyl alcohol (also available nearby). I use the 91% for cleaning and paint removal. I usually give a model a rub-down with alcohol using the pads before I mask the model and head off to the paint shop. Don't let masking tape get tainted with the alcohol lest you risk some interactions with the paint.

Finally you might find some tweezers. My goto tweezers have an angled tip; they're not from the cosmetics aisle.

You can also get small plastic syringes for measuring medicine to children. They are great for measuring out paint and thinner. These are available at the drugstore. I also acquires 4 smaller syringes from the vet. these were pre-loaded with medicine for my dog. When it was done I washed them out with hot water.

6559a971-e961-42dd-b474-4b8544a842e3_1.a

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Foam makeup sponges are great for wiping away excess oil wash. Q-Tips leave too many fibers- the sponges are a lot smoother. Microbrushes are also just an overly marked-up makeup item- buy 'em by the hundred on Amazon.

On 8/5/2017 at 8:04 AM, breadneck said:

Instead of cash money you can use your credit card and spend like there`s no tomorrow.

Speaking of credit cards, I keep expired ones (and those cheap fake ones you often get in junk mail) and use them like sheet styrene for scrap building or filler strips. You can also make custom sanding sticks or pads with them, cut them to size and attach sandpaper with doublestick tape to get into corners and crevices.  Another use is using them to apply and spread filler putty. 

Edited by habu2

I was on a multi-week business trip back in the early 90s and visited a local hobby shop on the weekend.  I found two kits I couldn't live without and decided to build one in my hotel room.  I purchased some glue and a few small bottles of paint at the shop, but went to the local discount store (can't remember which one) where I bought a small nail kit in the cosmetics aisle (large & small nail clippers, nail file, tweezers and a small wooden dowel with beveled ends) and a bottle of nail polish remover (acetone) for less than $5.00.  All the items proved useful in removing items from the sprues, cleaning up seams, adding putty (mixed sprue and acetone). I used ear swabs (Q-tips) and toothpicks (from the bar) for painting and applying glue. I purchased the LS 1:144 CP-140 Aurora kit on Saturday morning and by Sunday afternoon it was done, sitting on my hotel room dresser. Turned out nicely, I think. Disclaimer: I also used my Swiss Army knife for removing the wingtips before adding the ECM tips. R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
  • 4 weeks later...

Get a load of cheap tie wraps, cheapo super glue and wet or dry paper in varying grit sizes. Cut the abrasive paper into strips and super glue onto the tie wraps - instant flexible files. 

Alternatively a load of lolly (popsicle) sticks from a hobby shop (they sell them in packs of 50), some 3m foam type double sided tape, and use that to attach the abrasive paper onto the sticks, that works as good foam backed abrasives. You can cut them into shapes to suit

For very small drills, evilbay has lots of 3D printer extruder nozzle cleaning 'drills' that come in packs of five or ten. They have a 3mm / 1/8" shank, and go from 1.2 mm down to 0.2mm. They are great for drilling small holes as they don't need a pin vice to hold them due to the shank, and they are way better that those cheap micro drill sets 

Cheers

Les

When you're ready for more purpose-built tools, a "JLC Saw" is one of my goto tools. I got mine direct from UMM-USA, but you may be able to find a local source. It cuts very well, including plastic, resin, and Albion brass tubing. It also cuts with very little pressure, making it outstanding for removing delicate parts from a plastic sprue or resin pour block.

RB Productions also has very useful tools, including saws, scribers, CA glue applicators, &etc. He's in Ireland.

Here's a demo showing the removal of a delicate part, F48, on the Academy F-4B. Using nippers or sprue cutters would have risked both of those small parts.

arc-f4b-jlcdemo.png

Edited by dnl42
  • 1 month later...

Ditto the cosmetic and pharmacy area. Just go wander around. Tons of useful tools and materials to be found there for far cheaper then the same things made for hobbies. Even better, if you have a beauty supply store nearby (the store the nail and hair places/salons get their materials from) you can buy in bulk for even cheaper (boxes of sanding sticks, buffers etc).  I haven't bought hobby specific sanding sticks, buffing or polishing pads and cloths for ages. Also, don't forget to browse the jewelry section of big name stores. Lots of tools to be found there cheaper then similar tools from hobby shops (nippers, pliers or all sorts, and even jigs and such). Lastly, if you build dioramas or small scenes, walk through the fake flower area of big name stores and stroll through the fish tank areas of the same stores or even pet type stores. You'd be amazed at the useful and cheap scenic materials that can be found there rather then the expensive hobby specific stuff.  When looking at the materials use your imagination for what may stand in well for jungle foliage, desert scrub type growth, summer wheat or grasses etc. And remember, that garish looking palm leaf that would be perfect for a 1/48 or 1/35 jungle diorama can always be painted.

Happy modeling!

Regards,

Don

• 5 weeks later...

I usually buy this kind of stuff on www.wish.com. Sometime the items are free, you just pay shipping. A week ago I received 20 sanding blocks, just paid shipping ZAR14.00, that is less than 1 Pound in UK money. Only drawback is that shipping takes anything from 4-8 weeks, but the savings are massive. Head to their nail and beauty section. They also have modelling tools on the cheap. 

https://www.wish.com/c/57cbfa1688ffbe18206ecbae

This detailing brush set GBP4.5

https://www.wish.com/c/5956507d7d543e721f0e3d36

Loads of other bargains.

• 1 month later...

I second Gerhard, I have just restarted and purchased a lot of my small tools and consumable's from Wish Geek, delivery is slow and I recommend you read the descriptions before buying, some of the pictures are misleading.

Also you can buy cheap blades  which are OK but prone to snapping. Proper X-acto blades and similar are more robust and last longer.

Mog 

Filters, washes, highlights and shadows, dot filters- cheap artists oils sold in those basic color sets for $10

Weathering powders- artists chalk pastels sold in sets for $10 lifetime supply

Chipping fluid - dollar store hair spray

Every fancy name brand thinner can be substituted for hardware store and drug store alternatives

Mud effects- pva glue mixed with acrylic paint mixed with baking powder and dirt from my back yard

All cheap acrylic paints found at craft stores that paint just as good as the ones sold to modelers

Nail sanding boards cut into thin sticks

Water based seam filler- a small container of fast drying drywall repair spakle.

Solvent based glue like Tamiya thin- a quarter of MEK at the hardware store