Recommendations on first kit

Hi all,

New to scale aircraft modelling, but not modelling overall. Want to get a couple kits and wonder if y'all have suggestions on good kits. i really like the SU-27 family, and also the 5th gen. American fighters. Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated!

6 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

Welcome to the forum. What else do you build?

In order to best answer your question, what scale are you interested in? 

Thanks for the welcome! I am mostly into Gunpla, being a childhood fan of the series(s). That said, my passion is aircraft. i am thinking due to limited shelf space, i am mostly interested in 1/72 scale. I am given to understand that the Hasegawa SU-35 is around a foot long, and thats pretty much the limit of my space currently. 

The Meng F106A is probably one of the best 1/72 kits I have ever seen but I would not necessarily start with that one and it isn't really in the areas you have mentioned....

Edited by RCAFFAN

The Su-27 may be a bit too ambitious for a first aircraft model, considering the large number of parts (i have no idea of what "Gunpla" is or how it relates to modeling). Again not 5th generation (but then, is the Su-27?), but you may want to look into recent Academy 1/72 kits like the F-16 and F-18 (and then the F-4). These kits are very accurate and detailed, and the fit is excellent, having many "press-fit" parts,

They would be fine mules to become familiar with what may be new materials and techniques, and you'd have a great looking  model ...  as well as a frustration free experience. :thumbsup:

Gene K

23 hours ago, Gene K said:

The Su-27 may be a bit too ambitious for a first aircraft model, considering the large number of parts (i have no idea of what "Gunpla" is or how it relates to modeling). Again not 5th generation (but then, is the Su-27?), but you may want to look into recent Academy 1/72 kits like the F-16 and F-18 (and then the F-4). These kits are very accurate and detailed, and the fit is excellent, having many "press-fit" parts,

They would be fine mules to become familiar with what may be new materials and techniques, and you'd have a great looking  model ...  as well as a frustration free experience. :thumbsup:

Gene K

Gunpla refers to a Japanese series about massive robot suits, popular during my childhood some 15 years ago. They are also a series of plastic/resin models as well. 

I have no issue starting with an F-16. Work my way up to the SU series. Would the Academy F15E Strike Eagle be a good starter kit? I would rather build one of those than an FA18.

Edited by Flyboy3394
addition

Quick question on paints for an Academy F-15E new tool. 

I am thinking I will use Testors Gunship grey or their F15 grey. I know the gunship grey comes in Acrylic and enamel. I am fairly new to Airbrushing, but feel confident in my ability to thin paints properly. 

My question is, which should I use? I know enamel is harder and more durable, but takes longer to cure fully. I can wait, so that's no issue. Are there any massive advantages to using Acrylics in this scenario? 

Gunship Gray is the proper color for an F-15E. The F-15 Grey is one of the two colors used on F-15A/B/C/D's in the Mod Eagle scheme. 

As for which type of paint, I know that a lot of people on here prefer acrylics over enamel due to the toxic fumes enamels (and the thinners used with them) have. If you have plenty of ventilation, using a paint booth, etc, then that is not an issue. I tend to use both. I use mostly enamels, but prefer some colors in acryl. Black for instance does not seem to spray as well as an enamel as the acryl does. I use Model Master paints BTW. 

Aaron 

16 minutes ago, strikeeagle801 said:

Gunship Gray is the proper color for an F-15E. The F-15 Grey is one of the two colors used on F-15A/B/C/D's in the Mod Eagle scheme. 

As for which type of paint, I know that a lot of people on here prefer acrylics over enamel due to the toxic fumes enamels (and the thinners used with them) have. If you have plenty of ventilation, using a paint booth, etc, then that is not an issue. I tend to use both. I use mostly enamels, but prefer some colors in acryl. Black for instance does not seem to spray as well as an enamel as the acryl does. I use Model Master paints BTW. 

Aaron 

So i just built a spray booth, with a vent fan and tube to send the fumes outside. i tested it a few days ago and it worked well when I was consciously shooting the paint towards the fan. Otherwise, it would fume up fairly bad. I wear a respirator as well, for added protection. 

I guess at $3 a bottle, trying both isn't such a cost prohibitive move. Thanks for the heads up on the true color. Any other tips on the Strike Eagle? 

I've never built the Academy kit. The new weapons and decals make the kit worth the cost, but honestly, the Academy kit has a lot of issues with it. Revell is the way to go with the F-15E, and can be a pretty simple, straight-forward build. My suggestion is to buy a Revell kit at 40% off from Micheal's or Hobby Lobby, and use the decals, weapons and pylons from the Academy kit to update the Revell kit. 

Barring that though, I really have no hints on the Academy kit. I'm sure someone on here does though. 

Aaron 

ps. If you go the Revell route, this will help you. Also, Great Wall Hobbies will be coming out with an E at some point in the future (they have an F-15I and F-15K already) and it will kick Revell out of the Numero Uno position. 

I took a good look at the new tool 1/72 Academy F-15E at the IPMS Nats and I have to say, it looks good except for the nozzles, which look quite terrible and chunky (actuated rods) and only come in the fully closed position, incorrect for an aircraft sitting in the ground with power off.  Get some aftermarket nozzles and it would be a great kit.   

Steve

On 8/11/2017 at 10:49 AM, Falconxlvi said:

I took a good look at the new tool 1/72 Academy F-15E at the IPMS Nats and I have to say, it looks good except for the nozzles, which look quite terrible and chunky (actuated rods) and only come in the fully closed position, incorrect for an aircraft sitting in the ground with power off.  Get some aftermarket nozzles and it would be a great kit.   

Steve

I have begun the build of the new tool Academy F-15E. Pretty easy to snap together thus far. I began by painting some of the internal bits, namely the air intakes, and cockpit. Will be putting the rest of the main body together tonight and tomorrow, then priming, preshading and painting the external and engine areas. 

20 minutes ago, Flyboy3394 said:

I have begun the build of the new tool Academy F-15E. Pretty easy to snap together thus far. I began by painting some of the internal bits, namely the air intakes, and cockpit. Will be putting the rest of the main body together tonight and tomorrow, then priming, preshading and painting the external and engine areas. 

Cool!  Please share some pics of your build!

1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

Cool!  Please share some pics of your build!

Will do, but now, with Photobucket not allowing 3rd party hosting, what do you recommend using?

Also, I am using MM Enamels on this build. How long must i wait before painting over the curing(or fully cured) enamel paints. For example, the cokcpit. I sprayed my base color, dark gull gray, and want to handpaint the controls with a flat black, then some white/silver on buttons. How long must i wait do do this? Does the paint need to fully cure before I go over it with another enamel color? Or can I paint over it in say, 24 hours instead of 48? 

Edited by Flyboy3394
addition
4 hours ago, Flyboy3394 said:

Will do, but now, with Photobucket not allowing 3rd party hosting, what do you recommend using?

Also, I am using MM Enamels on this build. How long must i wait before painting over the curing(or fully cured) enamel paints. For example, the cokcpit. I sprayed my base color, dark gull gray, and want to handpaint the controls with a flat black, then some white/silver on buttons. How long must i wait do do this? Does the paint need to fully cure before I go over it with another enamel color? Or can I paint over it in say, 24 hours instead of 48? 

I switched over to IMGUR for image hosting - it's free and easy to use.  I like it so far.   Although I primarily use acrylics, I think 24 hrs is plenty to paint over enamels.  Probably more like 12 hours would work fine as long as you go easy on the amount of thinner you use with your detail painting.   

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2017 at 12:10 PM, Falconxlvi said:

I switched over to IMGUR for image hosting - it's free and easy to use.  I like it so far.   Although I primarily use acrylics, I think 24 hrs is plenty to paint over enamels.  Probably more like 12 hours would work fine as long as you go easy on the amount of thinner you use with your detail painting.   

What about masking over enamels? Would 24-48 hours be enough for model masking tape?

9 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

I would lean more towards 48 hrs just to be sure.  Perhaps a more experienced enamel user can chime in here.  

My observation has been that the drying time of enamels can vary depending on humidity.  I do not remember where I learned this, but if you are unsure whether the paint has dried, smell the painted part. If it still smells like paint, it is not completely dry.  If it does not have an odor, it is dry. This has worked for me. 

11 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

My observation has been that the drying time of enamels can vary depending on humidity.  I do not remember where I learned this, but if you are unsure whether the paint has dried, smell the painted part. If it still smells like paint, it is not completely dry.  If it does not have an odor, it is dry. This has worked for me. 

That makes sense as the solvent would be totally dry.  Thanks.